rodnreel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodnreel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rodnreel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lifting Weights to Lose Weight?

You?re better off doing more cardio.-- According to this articel:

http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/ar...ntid=100164486

There is so much contradictory information out there. This is the opposite of most everything I've read on this site.

I have lost 12 pounds in 7 weeks by eating mostly clean food, lifting weights and light cardio.

What do you all think??

It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post

There is so much contradictory information out there. This is the opposite of most everything I've read on this site.

I have lost 12 pounds in 7 weeks by eating mostly clean food, lifting weights and light cardio.

What do you all think??
    I think you are doing it right. More cardio will make you lose more weight for sure, but will it make you lose more FAT is the real question.

I say: Eat right, lift hard and heavy and do as much cardio as you need until you get the fat lost results you desire.
    I just want to be healthy.

Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I believe this article was written for "typical exercisers", who are not going to bust ass lifting weights. Here is one of the statement she does make, in support of lifting.

"You can burn more calories during a weights workout by performing more lower-body moves such as squats and lunges, or doing a circuit-style routine where you move quickly through the routine and even insert cardio intervals such as jacks or jogging in place in between exercises. There is some evidence that a very intense, super-hard weights workout can create a slight caloric afterburn. But typical exercisers simply don?t push themselves this much. So overall, cardio is more efficient at burning the most calories."

I agree with some of what she says, but she is picking and choosing her facts in order to support her own claim. Lifting weights in a hard core routine, as many do here would fit into her quote, above, thus disproving her own claim that cardio is more important.

Have a good one.
    My Will Is Hot Molten Lava

Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Saturnal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

What do you all think??
    I think the results people on this site have obtained from focusing on diet and lifting speak for themselves. If you want to lose weight and eventually look like a marathon runner, focus on cardio. If you want a really low body fat percentage and be ripped, focus on lifting and diet.

Registered User razorsedgepit06's Avatar
    razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50) razorsedgepit06 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Saturnal View Post
    I think the results people on this site have obtained from focusing on diet and lifting speak for themselves. If you want to lose weight and eventually look like a marathon runner, focus on cardio. If you want a really low body fat percentage and be ripped, focus on lifting and diet.

+1. Well said
    27-Time World Series Champion NY Yankees * NY Knicks * NY Giants

InB4 Location: Florida
    InB4 From: New York

Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    well when those pussies in that study lifted they probably did 1/4 of their max for 20 reps and a couple sets,

probably mostly machines,

any leg day i have probably burns more cals than 2 hrs of cardio.....

SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lifting weights: Burns Calories and speeds metabolism
    Cardio: Burns more calories and speed up metabolism even more

Ya, you can lose plenty of weight, but a lot would be muscle.

In my opinion, high intensity lifting and cardio are the best way to go. But that's all I've ver done so I don't know the other route.
    Bench: 175 LBS
    Deadlift: 250 LBS
    Squat: 170 LBS (ATG)
    Military Press: 115 LBS
    Barbell Rows: 125 LBS
    Curl: 40 LBS dumbell
    Dips: Injured
    Pullups: 10 reps @ BW

5-10, 170 16% BF

Pain is weakness leaving the body

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108633751

cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000) cawiau is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The answer is easy :

If you want to look like this, than you should run mostly

But if you want to look like this, you should lift weights

I know my choice, what's yours?
    My journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112815821

ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000) ceno is a complete loser! (-2000)
    lol at that article.....

I am burning over 600cals on my shoulder day alone....I havent tested on a leg day but probably close to 1000.....
    ****Patrick Bateman: Sabrina, don't just stare at it. Eat it*****

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That article is obviously targeted at women.

Cardio does indeed burn more calories than lifting. However it has been shown in many studies that lifting weights boosts your body's metabolism for the rest of the day, while cardio does not. It also has been shown in many studies that people who lift weights alone lose more FAT than people doing cardio alone. Thats right FAT. People doing cardio alone may lose more weight, but that includes muscle mass and fat. So really the person who is lifting ends up being healthier.

being skinny fat sucks Want2BeStrong's Avatar
    Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. Diet
    2. Lift
    3. Cardio

Like already said, Cardio does burn more calories when you do it, but proper Diet and Lifting will boost your metabolism which helps you burn fat ALL DAY long rather than just while you're doing your cardio. Weight training also discourages your body from storing extra calories as fat, since it needs to use them for muscle/glycogen repair.

But Cardio should only be added AFTER you've got a solid diet and weight routine.
    March 2007: 190 lb, ~25% bf
    June 2007: 170lb, ~20% bf
    Jan 2008: 180 lb, 18% bf
    Mar 2008: 190 lb, 18% bf
    July 2008: 185 lb, 15% bf
    2009 - 2022: Stopped training due to life circumstances - slowly got fat
    November 2022: 220lb, 30% bf
    January 2023: 200lb, 25% bf

Goal(Long Term): 180lb, 10%bf

dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dcarrera is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    This is what I do, and i've lost 16 pounds of mostly fat and kept almost all muscle:

1. Eat right
    2. Don't undereat
    3. Get enough protein
    4. Lift heavy
    5. Cardio 5-6 times a week
    I did it for teh lulz

tenntrekker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just started my diet and was wondering the same thing. I always hear cardio is better for weightloss. I have been doing alot of hiking the last few weeks and it seems to be helping alot. I'm going to stick with cardio and healthy eating for awhile.

NATURAL 4 LIFE! Hardcore Natural's Avatar
    Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000) Hardcore Natural is just really nice. (+1000)
    People have to also remember that the more lean muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn, even while at rest. A sound diet, cardio AND weight training make for the BEST combination for serious fat loss and results.
    ================================
    Bodybuild for yourself, nobody else!

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tenntrekker View Post
    I just started my diet and was wondering the same thing. I always hear cardio is better for weightloss. I have been doing alot of hiking the last few weeks and it seems to be helping alot. I'm going to stick with cardio and healthy eating for awhile.
    Are you trying to lose weight, or fat?

If you want to lose weight, then run as much as possible. Those pictures cawiau posted do mean something. You are on this site, so I assume you want more than to be a skinny runner.

This is quoted from skelooth's stickie, in case a few people posting here did not read the stickies

Originally Posted by skelooth
    Q. Should I just do cardio and cardio only until I lose the weight?

A. No. You might lose a lot of weight by doing just cardio, but you will be losing muscle in the process. Lifting weights is the only true way to transform your bodie's shape. By lifting weight you will retain and possibley put on muscle, thereby increasing your metabolism, making it easier to burn fat, and improving your physical appearance. Lifting weights should be your priority, cardio can come second.

It should be about health phabphour20's Avatar
    phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) phabphour20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tenntrekker View Post
    It is a three-legged stool. Pull one leg out and it just doesn't stand up. Nutrition, lifting and cardio.
    I just want to be healthy.

HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What do you all think??
    There is just so much to look at. SURE if you want to lose "weight", then do more cardio. If "weight" (the number that appears on a scale), is all that you care about, then cardio it away. But if you dont diet right, and dont do weight training, you wont look that great. Its difficult to believe that with all the information out there, people are still stuck on "weight", and the scale, rather than the mirror and how their clothes fit. As for weight training burning less calories, put less rest time in between sets, and do a lot of circuit training. Watch the results you get. And doing things like deadlifts and squats burn massive amounts of calories, and use your whole body. If your weight training involves 2 sets of bicep curls and crunches, then you probably won't get any results. You have the bodybuilders, the fitness people, and then the medical professionals who are so far removed from the gym and are too scared to write any information that might get them sued. Always look at who is writing the article to see the kind of information that will be presented. Monica Brant or Stan McQuay will write a different article than Suzanne Summers, and Summers will write a different article than Dr. Phil (who would probably write something similar to the one in this post). And sure, these die hard cardio-only people look ok in clothes, but when they take their shirts off, they are skinny fat people with low metabolisms and no definition.

I think in a nutshell, the article said it all here: "That’s not to say that lifting weights won’t help you get stronger, firmer and healthier. It will. But it just isn’t the place to focus if you are trying to shed lots of weight. You can develop more stamina from lifting weights, which in turn may help you last longer during cardio workouts."

Moral: If weight is your only concern, do cardio, but if you want to get stronger, firmer and healthier, do the weights!!
    Last edited by HerveDuchemin; 06-15-2007 at 01:30 PM.
    You are born with a spark; to search for the truth, for the best you can be. Practice. Disipline. Preparation. Try and try again. Then one day you are on top and they say you are an overnight success, a natural. You smile, you know. - Anonymous

Burning desire to get out of bed in the morning!!

Even the BEST were taught by someone who knows more than them!

heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000) heathershubby is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up Your bio says your

What do you all think??
    6' 185 lbs
    and you lost 12 lbs in 7 weeks just keep doing what your doing. Those are really good numbers.

I think however cardio gets a bad rap out here. Most everyone out here does cardio and cardio isn't a magic muscle eater. It comes down to nutrition and cals in v.s. cals out as well as what your lifting is like. Many Body builders do serious intense cardio to lean out some 2 or 3 sesions a day of Hiit comming into a show.

I have to say I would rather look like the lifter in cai's pic but that runner is single digit body fat and has muscle in both his legs and arms that I can see just from the picture. As far as health goes I would take the runners blood work 99 times out of a hundred.

The answer is simple we make it hard find the balance between what you eat, lift as hard as you can and do cardio to the levels that work for you.

and 12 lbs in 7 weeks what ever your doing is working just fine.
    Next stop 250 lbs both my weight and lost 😁

Highest Weight 500lbs +
    Lowest Weight since joining 264lbs

Current 264 lbs

Time to get to my original dream goal