Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ZJamaican Takes Roids extreme4377's Avatar
    extreme4377 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much protein can the body absorb in one sitting?

My question is just that. How much protein can you body absorb in one sitting? And how often can you intake more protein?

For example, say I have a protein shake with 34g of protein, can I have another and still absorb all 68g of protein or do I need to wait a certain amount of time and if so, how long? Thanks!

matt04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It all depends on your body and how damaged your muscles are (ie: how hard you worked out). When you work out you make micro-tears in your muscles, and when they grow back, they grow back stronger, hence your muscles get bigger. Protein and protein bonds are the stuff that makes this growing happen. So if you're a big dude who kills it at the gym 68 grams sounds good; otherwise any protein not put into muscle growth turns into fat. BTW, ideally you should consume 1g of protein per pound of body weight, and protein shakes should not be your main source of protein.

himmy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same question. Matt, I think Extreme means that IF he does take all that protein in one shot, will it all get absorbed? Or is there some limit to the amount of protein you can actually use at once (and the rest would be wasted??) I was actually wondering the same thing...

- Himmy

i gotta stay fly-Y-yY-yyy zuche's Avatar
    zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    no more than 100 an hour from what i know...
    including a shake with a steak, fish, and or wheat could easily reach that amount.

i gotta stay fly-Y-yY-yyy zuche's Avatar
    zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zuche has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i guess ill break it down

you want most calories after your workout rather than before because thats when your muscles are begging for nurtrients.

but if its a night workout you dont want too many carbcalories unless your trying to stack pretty heavily ( inc good fats)

honestly i intake my protein through 6 sittings

breakfast

meal sup or shake or pro bar

lunch

repeat shake

workout

dinner

light snack.

fruit veggies and multi's inbetween.

so all in all yes you can consume 68 after ur workout,
    but i would reccomend the shake being about 20 grams 10 mins after workout. then the dinner 20 - 30 mins seperate or vise versa.

thanks guys that usually works out perfectly for me. I usually workout around 5:00 PM until about 5:50 and go have a shake right away then eat dinner around 6 or 6:05. I really appreciate all the of help!

Dr Leucine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is really no data available about how much protein can be taken up by the body. Probably the best thing to do is to take 2.2 grams of protein per kilogram bodyweight divided over 5-7 servings. You should not only consume protein shakes, that's a waist of money. Just eat a lot of lean meat and dairy products.

RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Personally its better to take in too much protein and waste some than not taking in enough, eat up shoot for 2g+ per pound BW and seperate over 6/7 meals
    RACKITUP's Training logg, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=464176

<--Sea here?

NEWSFLASH
    **Fat guys eat too many carbs
    Muscley guys eat alot of protein
    Skinny guys argue that you dont need protein**

SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by zuche
    no more than 100 an hour from what i know...
    including a shake with a steak, fish, and or wheat could easily reach that amount.
    Thats insane. Where did you hear that? Even on AS your body would not require 100 grams an hour. If you slept 8 hrs a day and were awake 16hrs that would be 1600grams a day. I dont care how much water you drink your kidneys would be f()cked. I am not trying to come off as an A$$ but it is dangerous if someone interprets your statement that it is beneficial to eat even half that amount.

SeaHawk22

John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would limit the size of whey shakes more so than anything else. There is nothing wrong with eating a meal containing 60-90 grams of whole food protein, your body will break it down slowly enough that it shouldn't cause any problems. When you start talking about blended proteins it has been my experience that you can take in a larger amount of protein at one time. I normally shoot for 50-60 grams per shake, when I am using a relatively slow digesting protein with a lot of casein in it, like Optimum Complete Protein Diet or Beverly Ultra Size.

When more than 30-35 grams of whey is used at one time, it is absorbed too quickly, and what the body cannot assimilate for tissue repair is oxidized for energy. If you don't work it off, it ends up around the old waistline. The latest research has found that more whey protein is oxidized for energy than was first thought. Most people should limit their intake of whey at a single sitting to approx 30 grams. Again these numbers are quite arbitrary, and everyone will respond differently. Mixing whey with milk, adding peanut butter or flax will probably help some, though it won't help as much as some people might think.

The best bet is to invest in a blended protein, or at least some casein protein to add in with the whey, as this will provide a slower digestion rate and will increase the npu (net protein utilization) of the protein. Just as a side note recent studies have found that the npu of whey is actually lower than that of casein and egg white protein.

Last, but not least, barring post-workout, all protein powders are inferior to whole food proteins and are simply a matter of convenience. The key to continuous muscle growth is to keep the body anabolic throughout the day by maintaining a constant positive nitrogen balance. Too much emphasis is placed on post-workout nutrition, and not enough on keeping the body anabolic all day long.

The most important thing to remember is to drink enough water to aid the kidneys in the processing of this much protein. A person doing steroids will see a difference in gains when upping the protein intake to 2 gms per lb. 1 to 1 1/2 gms is plenty for a guy just starting out and taking nothing but protein powder and creatine.
    ADMIN@ Sons of Iron
    ADMIN@ MuscleforumUSA
    SUPERMOD@ Anabolic-Enhancement
    SUPERMOD@ MassMonsterz

Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SeaHawk22
    Thats insane. Where did you hear that? Even on AS your body would not require 100 grams an hour. If you slept 8 hrs a day and were awake 16hrs that would be 1600grams a day. I dont care how much water you drink your kidneys would be f()cked. I am not trying to come off as an A$$ but it is dangerous if someone interprets your statement that it is beneficial to eat even half that amount.
    I'm sure at times the body is perfectly capable of absorbing 100 grams an hour. However I don't see that being the case for most of the day. Also, saying it could absorb 100 grams an hour is in no way suggesting you should eat 100 grams EVERY hour ...

What we do know is that based on a 2000 calorie diet, our ancestors consumed 200 to 250 grams of protein a day, mostly from meat. That's 40-50% of their diet. Man has only been around 8 to 10.000 years, evolution has not changed our metabolism significantly in that time-frame, which suggests that consuming at least 250 grams per day, and depending on caloric intake, more protein per day (40-50%) is not life-threatening, but instead considerably healthier than the current western diet. On top of that we ate more unsaturated fats (which suggests part of that protein came from fish or plants instead of from potatoe chips and anything deep fried ) and took in roughly more than 10 times the amount of Vitamin C (so supplementing 400 mg on the day is not a bad thing). So far our sedentary lifestyle and adapted diet has given us little more than increase cardiovascular problems and obesity. So I think in retrospect these myths about kidney problems seem rather mild.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Big Cat
    I'm sure at times the body is perfectly capable of absorbing 100 grams an hour. However I don't see that being the case for most of the day. Also, saying it could absorb 100 grams an hour is in no way suggesting you should eat 100 grams EVERY hour ...

What we do know is that based on a 2000 calorie diet, our ancestors consumed 200 to 250 grams of protein a day, mostly from meat. That's 40-50% of their diet. Man has only been around 8 to 10.000 years, evolution has not changed our metabolism significantly in that time-frame, which suggests that consuming at least 250 grams per day, and depending on caloric intake, more protein per day (40-50%) is not life-threatening, but instead considerably healthier than the current western diet. On top of that we ate more unsaturated fats (which suggests part of that protein came from fish or plants instead of from potatoe chips and anything deep fried ) and took in roughly more than 10 times the amount of Vitamin C (so supplementing 400 mg on the day is not a bad thing). So far our sedentary lifestyle and adapted diet has given us little more than increase cardiovascular problems and obesity. So I think in retrospect these myths about kidney problems seem rather mild.
    Yep, BIG CAT you're absolutely right!!!

SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000) SeaHawk22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just wanted to make it clear that the statement could have been interpreted that it was "beneficial" to take upto 100grams and hour. I see nothing wrong with taking 400 grams a day. I do during periods.

Bigcat
    Because your body can absorb does not mean that it is beneficial. I have read your stickies and your "best of" stuff in the AS section I respect your statements. I just dont want my statements do be perceived differently than I wanted them to be.

SeaHawk22
    Last edited by SeaHawk22; 09-10-2004 at 06:36 AM.

Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SeaHawk22
    I just wanted to make it clear that the statement could have been interpreted that it was "beneficial" to take upto 100grams and hour. I see nothing wrong with taking 400 grams a day. I do during periods.

Bigcat
    Because your body can absorb does not mean that it is beneficial. I have read your stickies and your "best of" stuff in the AS section I respect your statements. I just dont want my statements do be perceived differently than I wanted them to be.

SeaHawk22
    I'm sure its not what you intended, but that's how it came across ...

The person saying you could absorb up to 100 grams an hour was NOT suggesting you needed 100grams every hour. Your post could be perceived as hurtful or condescending.

wolfie5368 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much is 1 sitting

I can only tell you what i have read and taken in myself..
    60grams at once is in just about every atical ive read anymore and your body goes intestinal distress (stinky ass farts) or so it says lol........
    at 160 you should hammer 2grams of protein per pound of bodyweigh and for you thats about 42-43 grams per meal at 5meals a day so you dont have to worry about that till you hit 200lbs

inabakoshi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

kidney?

i read stg abt kidney problem....my friend...who maybe dunno much abt bio...he stopped taking since grade 9 i think...says hes gonna get kidey problem from taking protein and creatine by reading an article...but issit alright to take the required amt? like 250g for my bw (133 pounds)? he's stopped taking them altogether...which i think doesnt make sense...

wolfie5368 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

yes

You will be fine muscle is built from protein you need it to build muscle!!!
    I try to take in 300 to 400 grams a day with 10 grams of createin a day also..
    I dont take createin 365days a year but thats cause of taste and bordomand also try to drink 80 oz of water a day if you can drink alot more but no less..
    Here's somthing that caught my eye your friend is only in 9th grade??
    MAke it a law for your body sake not to take alot of supplaments make it whole foods instead

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Great post.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

inabakoshi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nah...we r both uni students...he dun like bio and stopped taking in the ninth grade....thanks anyway

BMike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation our ancestors?

Big Cat .. what are talking about? our ancestors ?
    ... Do you know the life expectancy 10000 years ago! Think about it!
    We have whats called scientists and biologist these days, I think they carry a little more knowlegde than 8-10 thousand years ago

Originally Posted by BMike
    Big Cat .. what are talking about? our ancestors ?
    ... Do you know the life expectancy 10000 years ago! Think about it!
    We have whats called scientists and biologist these days, I think they carry a little more knowlegde than 8-10 thousand years ago
    Life expectancy has increased as a result of the discovery of anti-biotics and other medical progressions. However, the difference in diet between then and now is often the cause or at the very least a contributing factor to one of the primary causes of death or incapacity, namely cardiovascular disease. The high intake of sodium and the low intake of unsaturated fats, are directly correlated to incidences of cardiovascular problems. Less sodium and more poly-unsaturated fats decreases chance of heart problems. On top of that our lower consumption of protein in favour of higher consumption of carbohydrates is a contrinuting factor in many mood disorders, in type II diabetes and obesity. Three of the most common epidemics of the moment.

Our body isn't made for the current western diet. That was my point.

RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RACKITUP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ...... is a contrinuting factor in many mood disorders, in type II diabetes and obesity. Three of the most common epidemics of the moment.

Our body isn't made for the current western diet. That was my point.

Exactly, give it 50years the number of type II diatbetes is going to be extrodinary, or at least mild type II--diet controlled due to insulin sensitivity. All this due to sugar intake. Obviously diabetes is also heredity but is it a conincedence that although the population is more now, proportionally there were less diabetics from 1900s consuming 1kg of sugar a year, than now when on average we consume closer to 1kg a week. Our bodies cant adapt to process and deal with the change in sugar consumption in only a hundred years

To be a healthy bodybuilder, we need a eat like they did hundred years ago, before artifical sweetners and processed foods---old fashioned eating!

<--Sea here?

NEWSFLASH

So now we should be cautious of how much milk we drink because of the high sugar content? My milk has 12g of sugar per 8 ounces("one serving").

PittsburghKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein turns into fat?

How can Proteins turn into fat? I've never heard that before.
    Hobbies: Breakin' skulls,weight lifting, pocket pool... oh yeah, long walks on the beach wit deep conversation.
    Latest News: I just won the IKYB(I Kicked Yo Butt) Championship Belt from a 78 year old lady.

Originally Posted by extreme4377
    So now we should be cautious of how much milk we drink because of the high sugar content? My milk has 12g of sugar per 8 ounces("one serving").

Milk sugars(aka lactose) I believe a disaccharide that causes minmal insulin reponse....could be wrong though

<--Sea here?

NEWSFLASH

Originally Posted by extreme4377
    Lactose is slowly digested and doesn't allow its glucose content to hit the bloodstream fast enough to cause a significant insulin spike. So in a way its a good thing, since it provides the necessary glucose in a protein rich, low-carb diet (provided you use next to no other carb sources) yet it doesn't promote problems with insulin.

Originally Posted by PittsburghKid
    They don't, its bull****. Some amino acids however can be used for the process of gluconeogenisis and turned into a substrate of the Krebs cycle that can later be regenerated to glucose.

Originally Posted by PittsburghKid
    You are right, it's not true!

Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Swizzle Dizzle has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    They don't, its bull****. Some amino acids however can be used for the process of gluconeogenisis and turned into a substrate of the Krebs cycle that can later be regenerated to glucose.
    phew, i was sweating that for a second
    "You better push,cuz im not lifting it off of you." By: my brother-every single time i lift.

"i know youve got it down... fap fap. or choo choo

the choice?

yours."--WakingMalice

Trentinator has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It astounds me that so many people feel that taking more than 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight is fine and healthy. Don't you think that 1 gram of protein per body weight is the hell of a lot more protein than the average joe takes in and is enough to gain size, maybe not as quickly as 3-4 grams of protein per pound, but at least it doesen't f- up your kidneys!

Also, ya'll keep on saying how much protein you try to take in daily, but you aren't telling us how much you weigh. That can make a huge difference. Maybe the guy who takes in 400 grams weighs 320 pounds, which isn't bad. Or maybe he weighs 180, which would be terrible!

Keep in mind, there are a lot of ignorant teenagers on this board, who listen to what ya'll post and don't realize that if they take in that much protein, they're going to have some serious health problems down the road.......

Also, Big Cat, that post you made where you were comparing us to "our ancestors" got a lot of praise, But I'm not so sure if I agree with it..... First of all, there is no way that anyone can accurately know how many grams of protein the average hunter gatherer took in daily, it's just not possible.
    You also can't generalize like that, everybody on the planet has different ancestors from different parts of the world who ate different things!