Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

For All Athlete's. (Type IIB muscle fiber's/complex training)

Type IIB Muscle Fiber's (Part 1)

Weight Training has been proven to improve one's sports proformance in a related activity along with other form's of training to develop Rate of Force Development.

Rate of Force Development- The speed at which force is achived in a movment.

Example:
    It takes around 400msec's to make a squat at maxium effort, but the foot to ground contact for a sprinter is only 90msec's, so there is not enough time to develop maxium force in sprinting. So for speed strength related events, like sprinting, its rate of force developed that is the key rather then absolute strength.

How to Develop Rate of Force?
    To develop rate of force the type IIB fiber's (fast twitch) muscle fiber's need to be targeted. The reason fo this is they are one's that produce force most explosivly.

Brief list of excercises to develop type IIB fiber's:
    1. Powerclean
    2. Snatch
    3. Bounding
    4. Jump squats
    5. Hop Jumps
    6. Drop jumps
    7. Box Jumps
    8. Split Snatch
    9. Split Clean
    10. Plyometric press up's.

Plyometric's: (hoping/jumping/bounding...etc..)
    Many athletes include Plyometrics excercises in their training program. These athletes are very aware of their benefits. However most people dont know that the combination of speed strength and plyometric's together are great for recruiting type IIB fiber's and therefore improving power and rate of force developed.

Complex Training and its Role in developing type IIB muscle fiber's ( Part 2: Very Brief)

Complex Training:
    Complex Training is a workout comprising of a resistance excercises fallowed by a similar movment.

Example:
    Squats fallowed by squat jumps or snatch

Reason why?
    The logic is to get the nevous system in the full action allowing more recruitment of type IIB fiber's allowing more available for the explosive excercise.

Final comment:
    As u can see that training type IIB muscle fiber's are VERY important in the development of an athlete. The training of them can be used from a tennis athlete to a football player and so many more sports.

This is my first writen article. Now i hope it gets put to use by somone on these boards.

lifter
    Last edited by Powerlifter16; 05-16-2002 at 09:13 PM.

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I believe you wanted to say Rate of Force Development. Not rate of force.

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yeah i guess i should proof read. lol i was in a hurry to have somone read it so i didnt do spell check or anything.

lifter

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good article.

BiG RED HH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How high of a box are we talking here w. box hops. I've seen people use 6' + boxes, which is just silly, and a great way to hurt yourself.

We've been down the powerclean road way to many times, im going to leave that be.

Now, jump squats. I think the dangers far out weigh the benefits.

just throwing in my 2 cents

Br

aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by BiG RED HH
    How high of a box are we talking here w. box hops. I've seen people use 6' + boxes, which is just silly, and a great way to hurt yourself.

We've been down the powerclean road way to many times, im going to leave that be.

Now, jump squats. I think the dangers far out weigh the benefits.

just throwing in my 2 cents

Br
    A 36 inch box is usually as high as we will go. There is a point of cost to benefit when you are speaking about boxes as high as 6 feet.

Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Seanner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm assuming the danger with jump squats is excessive pressure on the knee? Can't you just do a half-squat (as if you were actually about to jump) and then jump? Plus you could use very little weight, but enough so it was significantly higher than your bodyweight. I might actually try this using a smith machine with 60 pounds (the bar + 7.5 each side) and jump as high as I can. The other thing that works well is to practice jumping as high as possible off one foot.
    Kramer: Don't worry, it's a write-off for them.
    Jerry: How is it a write-off?
    Kramer: They just...write it off.
    Jerry: "Write it off" what?
    Kramer: Jerry....all these big companies - they write-off everything!
    Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is!
    Kramer: Do you?
    Jerry (high, fed-up voice): No! I don't!
    Kramer (consoling): But they do...and they're the ones.........writing it off.

aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Seanner
    I'm assuming the danger with jump squats is excessive pressure on the knee? Can't you just do a half-squat (as if you were actually about to jump) and then jump? Plus you could use very little weight, but enough so it was significantly higher than your bodyweight. I might actually try this using a smith machine with 60 pounds (the bar + 7.5 each side) and jump as high as I can. The other thing that works well is to practice jumping as high as possible off one foot.
    Jump squats are done by only performing a quarter squat and then jumping as high as possible. The two most important factors are jump height and ground contact time. One usually does not go more than 30% of their bodyweight as this would slow one down too much. Usually the bar is used first and as long as speed does not slow down one can add weight. The Smith Machine would be a disaster as you can not reach maximal height and the bar being connected with the machine would want to continue upwards as the body comes down. There is little danger in the jump squat as long as done properly.

Iam sure jump squats do put some what un-wanted stress on the knee's but as long as done right i dont see a problem injury wise. If u look every movment puts stress on joints..etc... but people still do them?

lifter