DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Arrow Anyone else do close grip shrugs?

I know I made a thread about this a while back, but I was just wondering if anyone has been doing them since then. I have added over an 2 1/2 inches in height in my traps since I began doing them. And the funny thing is I never use more than 45 - 60 pounds each arm when doing them.

I use a narrow grip(hands 2-4 inches apart). And I never let my shoulders go below parallel unless I am doing static holds. These are a very effective exercise if done correctly. Hope some of you all will be open minded enough to eventually give these a try. If you are patient and stick with them. You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 08-15-2004 at 06:23 PM.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started doin 'em... I like 'em alot..

why don't you let your shoudlers go below parellel? going below parellel and letting your shoulders just droop while holding heavy weight will also give an added bonus to making your traps grow...

how do you think deadlifts hit your traps so hard? to prevent your shoulders from falling off lol

ever done behidn the back bb shrugs? I love 'em but my ass gets in the way lol just leave back a bit and contract your abs and your good to go.. best ever for the traps.. imo
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Meta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Will try to remember to give them a try next week.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    I started doin 'em... I like 'em alot..

why don't you let your shoudlers go below parellel? going below parellel and letting your shoulders just droop while holding heavy weight will also give an added bonus to making your traps grow...

how do you think deadlifts hit your traps so hard? to prevent your shoulders from falling off lol

ever done behidn the back bb shrugs? I love 'em but my ass gets in the way lol just leave back a bit and contract your abs and your good to go.. best ever for the traps.. imo
    I never let my shoulders go down past parallel to each other because I feel doing them this way helps me keep continous tension on my traps. But I also do close grip static holds where I let my shoulders droop all the way down while holding the weight for about a minute a set.

Yeah, I like behind the back shrugs too but my ass gets in the way too much.I have like a 2 inch range of motion while doing them. I also do leaning forward 3/4 shrugs, which have also helped my rear traps.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 08-15-2004 at 06:18 PM.

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wider grip or closer grip it doesnt make any diference since the traps are responsible for elevating your scapula , shrugs will work wonders , especially with heavy weights
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Originally posted by A-rod
    Wider grip or closer grip it doesnt make any diference since the traps are responsible for elevating your scapula , shrugs will work wonders , especially with heavy weights
    I used to believe that. But now I do not. Close grip shrugs have added height to my traps way faster then conventional shoulder width shrugs ever did. And that's because I used to do dumbell shrugs with 110 -120 pounds in each arm with strict form. Heavy dumbell shrugs can add tremendous thickness to the traps but in terms of height, I have gotten rapid results with close grip shrugs.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 08-15-2004 at 06:44 PM.

warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000) warriors is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sorry if it seems like im stealing the post but could i do shrugs using the diamond bar while on Max-OT
    "It's not that i'm that smart, it's just i picked a profession where everybody is stupid" Patrick Arnold

"Yes I Get That Your Balls Might Shrink While On It...but Last Time I Checked I Didnt Fuxk With My Balls Its The Shaft You Use Isnt It? And It Dosent Shrink...." Pro Lee Priest

Originally posted by warriors
    sorry if it seems like im stealing the post but could i do shrugs using the diamond bar while on Max-OT
    Yep.

Saving Muscle Since 2004 SavesTheMuscle's Avatar
    SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How close we talking about DiamondDelts?
    Workout Log:
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=5195771#post5195771[/url]

Big Supplment Review: Updated as of 8/1/04
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=32c727bafc0d97038e2f325a8e7a9f20&threadid=295441[/url]

"Sucess is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchhill

Originally posted by SavesTheMuscle
    How close we talking about DiamondDelts?
    Hands 2- 5 inches apart.

SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SavesTheMuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by DiamondDelts
    Hands 2- 5 inches apart.
    Sounds intresting...I'll try 'em for 8 weeks. Give it a test run

LOL I just re read your first post an I just noticed it said the grip width

Do you do these with DB's or a BB?
    Last edited by SavesTheMuscle; 08-15-2004 at 07:02 PM.
    Workout Log:

[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=32c727bafc0d97038e2f325a8e7a9f20&threadid=295441[/url]

"Sucess is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchhill

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have never tried a close grip my delts are not lacking. I am shruging 405 3x6 I tend to agree that grip width does not come into play. The proof is in trying it I guess so I'll have to get back to you. I am thinking its simply tougher on the wrists especially at such heavy weight.

Originally posted by SavesTheMuscle
    Sounds intresting...I'll try 'em for 8 weeks. Give it a test run

LOL I just re read your first post an I just noticed it said the grip width

Do you do these with DB's or a BB?
    I do mine with a barbell but I have a special bar with a close triangle grip. Or sometimes I use a close grip chin triangle and attach it to a dip belt chain and load it with weight. That works very nicely also.

Originally posted by DanMc
    I have never tried a close grip my delts are not lacking. I am shruging 405 3x6 I tend to agree that grip width does not come into play. The proof is in trying it I guess so I'll have to get back to you. I am thinking its simply tougher on the wrists especially at such heavy weight.
    Like I said before I DO believe grip width makes a difference when it comes to building trap height. But I do not believe it is necessary to lift heavy on this exercise to attain good results.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Like I said before I DO believe grip width makes a difference when it comes to building trap height. But I do not believe it is necessary to lift heavy on this exercise to attain good results.
    If I do not lift heavy in all areas I tend not to get any results.

If I do not lift heavy in all areas I tend not to get any results.
    Whatever works for you Dan. By the way I was wondering how much do you weigh, because shrugging 400+ pounds for multiple reps
    is a pretty impressive feat.

Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000) Big Nes is just really nice. (+1000)
    i'll eventually try shrugs again.

Hang Clean/Press and heavy ass deads have been doing a wonderful job.

Originally posted by Big Nes
    i'll eventually try shrugs again.

Hang Clean/Press and heavy ass deads have been doing a wonderful job.
    They are definitely worth a try. But whatever works for you bro.

DanMc you forgot to answer my question, what is your current bodyweight when you are shrugging 405 for reps. And are you power shrugging or just conventional shrugging that much weight?

I tried them today but was in a rush so I used decent form. They felt overall better then regular shrugs and I didn't have to worry about the bar hitting my " package "...just my hands .

I felt some strain on my R/C but I think that was because I think didn't let the bar fall but rather kept some resistance so it didn't slam down. It will never happen again

I'll give you guys a better assesment come thursday
    Workout Log:

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to believe that. But now I do not. Close grip shrugs have added height to my traps way faster then conventional shoulder width shrugs ever did. And that's because I used to do dumbell shrugs with 110 -120 pounds in each arm with strict form. Heavy dumbell shrugs can add tremendous thickness to the traps but in terms of height, I have gotten rapid results with close grip shrugs.
    Repeat after me. You cannot shape train. You cannot shape train. Unless you try.

I agree. Close grip shrugs make your traps "pop" off your shoulders, regular grip shrugs give your traps thickness.

I like doing close grips with a BB with straps.

Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steveo31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    DanMc you forgot to answer my question, what is your current bodyweight when you are shrugging 405 for reps. And are you power shrugging or just conventional shrugging that much weight?
    Diamond... question for you about power shrugs. Do you think they are as beneficial as non-power? I personally like em cause they work the calves in an explosive manner as well. Ideas?
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i'll try them tomorrow, i usually do 3 sets of behind the back, side and front shrugs but i'll try close-grip too
    Chicks dig big calves

Originally posted by Steveo31
    Diamond... question for you about power shrugs. Do you think they are as beneficial as non-power? I personally like em cause they work the calves in an explosive manner as well. Ideas?
    I beleive if you do them with decent form, then yes they can be as beneficial as non-power shrugs.