emzpony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) emzpony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

jumproping vs. running

is jumping rope better than running in regards to building muscle and losing fat? or are they basically the same thing. i dont have access to any of those fancy elliptical or stairmaster machines and im looking for a cardio workout that will burn less muscle than running.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Running doesn't necessarily burn muscle. The reason why a person would burn muscle running is usually because they are fuelling themselves inadequately and as such, the body starts to use muscle for fuel, OR they are doing soooo much running (e.g. training for a marathon). Certain forms of running e.g. sprint training can actually promote hypertrophy when done in conjunction with a weight training program.

In answer to your question, jump roping is quite intense and burns roughly the same amount of calories per minute as a medium intensity run so the potential for muscle loss is the same. Heavy weight training is a highly effective cardiovascular workout as well did you know?
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250) enforcerlady has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    At 5'5" 105lbs, why are you even doing cardio? You should hit the weights instead and gain some mass.
    The fight is won or lost in the gym.

jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree, you probably don't have much muscle mass at 5'5" 105, unless you are pure muscle and then you would be extremely ripped and probably not worried about cardio so focus on building up some mass now, you don't want to lose any more muscle and make your metabolism go to the crapper. I'd limit cardio to 2-3 x week MAX and nothing too long. Running gets a bad rap for being muscle wasting but really its no different from other cardio, its just probably the most efficient way to burn cals. Make sure you're eating sufficiently and you won't be burning muscle. That being said, running is probably my top choice for cardio, and I will always do it for my cardio session unless either a.) my legs are severly sore and even then I might just do a very easy run or b.) I'm on the verge of an repetitive stress injury lol.

Bunnylicious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I disagree, you probably don't have much muscle mass at 5'5" 105, unless you are pure muscle and then you would be extremely ripped and probably not worried about cardio.I'd limit cardio to 2-3 x week MAX and nothing too long. Running gets a bad rap for being muscle wasting but really its no different from other cardio, its just probably the most efficient way to burn cals. Make sure you're eating sufficiently and you won't be burning muscle. That being said, running is probably my top choice for cardio, and I will always do it for my cardio session unless either a.) my legs are severly sore and even then I might just do a very easy run or b.) I'm on the verge of an repetitive stress injury lol.!!!!!!!!!

nickys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nickys has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Skipping is generally more intense than running, so harder to sustain for longer. It really depends how much time you have for your cardio.

jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bunnylicious View Post
    I disagree, you probably don't have much muscle mass at 5'5" 105, unless you are pure muscle and then you would be extremely ripped and probably not worried about cardio.I'd limit cardio to 2-3 x week MAX and nothing too long. Running gets a bad rap for being muscle wasting but really its no different from other cardio, its just probably the most efficient way to burn cals. Make sure you're eating sufficiently and you won't be burning muscle. That being said, running is probably my top choice for cardio, and I will always do it for my cardio session unless either a.) my legs are severly sore and even then I might just do a very easy run or b.) I'm on the verge of an repetitive stress injury lol.!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but what the hell?

Sexy Chemical Engineer Ke422azn's Avatar
    Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ke422azn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by enforcerlady View Post
    At 5'5" 105lbs, why are you even doing cardio? You should hit the weights instead and gain some mass.
    I agree. You are worrying about gas milage when you are headed in the complete wrong direction. Get the big picture straight, and then worry about tiny details.
    Me Picking Up Chicks (Subscribe if You Like!)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SquattinCassanova

stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jg_girl088 View Post
    I'm sorry, but what the hell?
    Yeah what was that...?