Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench press, DB or BB, which is better?

Right now I only bench with DB simply because I like to put all my effort into it until I give out, and I don't have a spotter, so I just drop the DB's off to the side when I can't do anymore. In the long run will this be as effective as using a BB?
    Blah blah

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: Bench press, DB or BB, which is better?

Originally posted by Desp
    Right now I only bench with DB simply because I like to put all my effort into it until I give out, and I don't have a spotter, so I just drop the DB's off to the side when I can't do anymore. In the long run will this be as effective as using a BB?

neither is better - both have pros and cons.

just dont go to failure and you can still use the barbell. and if you go to a gym just ask someone for a spot

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    both are good.

ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Re: Bench press, DB or BB, which is better?

Originally posted by SDFlipStyle
    neither is better
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    both are good.
    Yeperoo, a nice mix of both will yield good results.

Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Desp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't have anyone to spot me, it's usually empty :/, last time I did BB I was too tired and on my 5th rep I couldn't get it off my chest, hehe, luckily it was only 160 pounds
    Blah blah

EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Agree with all except for the statement below

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    When spotting a buddy on bench press, make sure your pants have been removed and your penis is clearly in sight of the lifter.
    Man...the things I do when I am bored

GaToMaN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So what are the pro's and cons of both?

EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EliteLifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by GaToMaN
    Pro of BB's: Being able to lift more weight

Con of BB's: Risking injury if you are lifting a weight you cannot handle.

Pro of DB's: Need no spotter

Con of DB's: Can't lift as much weight

There are many more but these are just some examples.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i like to switch between db's and barbell benchpress.

also, i never have a spotter. i know my limitations as i am working out and therefore never go to my limit. you dont need to fail to make gains.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by GaToMaN

barbell pros - more weight
    barbell cons - ? maybe getting crushed

dumbell pros - stabilizer muscles get worked, more range of motion, better stretch at bottom of movement

dumbell cons - lighter weight

they are almost completely different movements. That bar and dumbell move in different paths.

i use more triceps with the bar.