zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Bent Over Rows (form)

So, when doing bent over rows I often see them done two ways. Forgive my piss poor paint skills

First: The way I do them. Back parallel to the ground like so

Second: Back slightly upwards

Which is correct and why?

No treble, no care KeepOnShruggin's Avatar
    KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000) KeepOnShruggin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I thought the first way is called Pendlay Rows.

but i dont know the 'correct' way to do them, i do them the second way

2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    different muscle emphasis. i believe the first hits more lats and the second more middle, outer back. i do them the second way with palms facing out
    $

"No fck that, I'm not gonna miss any reps. I'll die before i miss a rep." - dynamik, #1

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The second option is easier on your lower back. At an even steeper angle, with an underhand grip, it's called a Yates row.

With back parallel to the floor, pulling from the floor, yes, that's a Pendlay row.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    The second option is easier on your lower back. At an even steeper angle, with an underhand grip, it's called a Yates row.

With back parallel to the floor, pulling from the floor, yes, that's a Pendlay row.
    no offense, but the first pic is a parallel row

a pendlay row is when you deload each row on the ground

both are effective, i prefer parallel rows with no deload though
    Best Raw USAPL Competition Lifts
    S - 415
    B - 315
    D - 540
    Total - 1245

Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130001&p=1052251991#post1052251991

Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000) Smokes is just really nice. (+1000)
    I try and get my back as close to the first diagram as possible while still keeping my head up. BTW, the paint drawings are actually pretty good, they get the point across.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    i have nowhere near the flexibility to do pendlay.. but id imagine theyd place a lot more stress on your lower track trying to hold the weight up for the row and depending if you want to actually target lats and your lower traps i can see that being a problem.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Kolja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kolja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kolja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kolja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kolja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kolja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I can't really do the pendlay row either unless I round my lower back, which I'm really not happy doing...

dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i prefer the second way, easier on the lower back, especially cause i normally do it after i hit the back with deadlifts.
    Lift hard, lift big, eat well.

zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dropshot001 View Post
    i prefer the second way, easier on the lower back, especially cause i normally do it after i hit the back with deadlifts.
    Well, I'm looking to emphasize lats for aesthetics, and lower back for squat stability, so I guess that pretty conclusively means I should be doing parallel rows?

Any reason not to keep on the parallel form?

slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You dont need to be flexible to do parallel or pendalay rows. your body naturally falls into that position and compensates by leaning back. im a pretty stiff guy and i do parallel rows every workout.
    Slippers disclaimer: I've been known to be against the grain and straight to the point.

snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Those of you who are saying they are not flexible enough for, or your back hurts when you do parallel/pendlay rows are bull****ting. I am willing to bet that if you dropped the weight to something you can handle you'd do them just fine. The reason your lower back is hurting when attempting them is because it is weak! Check your ego at the door, lower the weight and learn to do them correctly. All too often I see guys standing almost upright pretty much shrugging the bar instead of rowing it because they are too egotistical to lower the weight. Bend over and row the ****ing BB!

Rant over.

Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Which would be more effective at hitting the lats pendlay rows or yates rows.
    risk nothing, gain nothing

snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50) snigg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mourning Tide View Post
    Which would be more effective at hitting the lats pendlay rows or yates rows.
    For overall back width stick with bent over BB rows/parallel rows and pull ups. Dont forget to deadlift as well.

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LSU1 View Post
    no offense, but the first pic is a parallel row

a pendlay row is when you deload each row on the ground
    I forgot about the deloading component, thanks for reminding me.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100) Meni is not very well liked. (-100)
    I got an idea
    end the confusion

HELLOO DUMBBELLS

slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) slipper has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For those who are getting a sore back, its probably because of what the other guy stated... too much weight, as well as body positioning. Your probably leaning too far forward, therefore the sore lower back.

Proper positioning would have your torso not completely parallel to the ground but very close. And the rowing movement would be completely perpendicular to your body (like a T and unlike a regular bent over row which is more like the cross between a parallel row and shrug) pulling towards your body on a slightly off vertical alignment.

heres a pic to help explain what i saying.

I prefer parallel rows because its a mass building movement.
    Slippers disclaimer: I've been known to be against the grain and straight to the point.

mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mofugger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by slipper View Post
    For those who are getting a sore back, its probably because of what the other guy stated... too much weight, as well as body positioning. Your probably leaning too far forward, therefore the sore lower back.

Proper positioning would have your torso not completely parallel to the ground but very close. And the rowing movement would be completely perpendicular to your body (like a T and unlike a regular bent over row which is more like the cross between a parallel row and shrug) pulling towards your body on a slightly off vertical alignment.

heres a pic to help explain what i saying.

I prefer parallel rows because its a mass building movement.
    I do this too but flip the picture 90 degrees on a seated cable row

Originally Posted by mofugger View Post
    I do this too but flip the picture 90 degrees on a seated cable row
    Do it with a BB to see better gains. F cables!

Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mourning Tide is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For 'parallel' rows do you have an underhand or overhand grip?
    risk nothing, gain nothing

overhand...palms facing me.

typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by snigg View Post
    agreed that the cable rows come nowhere near the BB rows in terms of overall back involvement.
    however i don't think cable rows are useless. on the contrary, you can use more weight with strict form, which has its benefits. actually i do both bent-over BB rows and seated cable rows.

Originally Posted by snigg View Post
    lol

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When you guys are doing the 45-degree rows, where on your chest/abdomen do you bring the bar to?

typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typ40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HoosierBoy View Post
    When you guys are doing the 45-degree rows, where on your chest/abdomen do you bring the bar to?
    to my upper abs

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by typ40 View Post
    to my upper abs
    So, like the bottom of your rib cage?