jdm001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What does this workout program need?

I set up my own program that I'm not sure how it will work. It is arm heavy and a bit light on legs because I play a lot of team sports and I'd rather keep my legs lean like they are instead of really bulked up (for speed). Here's what I have:

Monday/Day 1
    CHEST
    .Dumbell Flies (Flat Bench)
    .Cable Crossover On Knees (squeezes chest)
    .Incline DB Bench
    .Wide Grip BB Bench
    .Chest Flex on Ab machine (for striations, 1set)

Tuesday
    LEGS & ABS
    .Power Crunch (Icarian)
    .Ab Isolator (Icarian)
    .Ab Extension (Nautaulis)
    ..Squats
    ..Leg Press
    ..Lying Rev Curls
    ..Leg Extensions
    ...Calf Extensions (Weighted Hammer Strength)
    ...Seated Calf Ext.

Wednesday
    BICEPS
    .Hammer Curls
    .Preacher Curls
    .Flat Bench DB Curls
    .Rev Grip Cable Curls (or DB Curls, whatever I feel like that day )

Thursday
    BACK & SHOULDERS
    .Shoulder Press
    .DB Shrugs
    ..Cable Row Und. Grip
    ..Wide Grip Pulldowns
    ..T-Bar Row

Friday
    OFF

Saturday
    TRICEPS
    .Narrow Grip Flat Bench
    .Nose Breakers
    .Lying Tri Ext.
    .Cable Tri Ext. (Icarian I think)
    .Rope Pulldowns

I like to finish off bi's and tri's w/ 21's on the hardest types of excercises (preacher, heavy rope pulldowns). I know it sounds like i'm one of the "I want big arms and chest" guys, but i'm on 4 hockey teams, so I really do want to focus mainly on upper body.

I haven't figured out how many sets to do on each (i don't want to do just 3 across the board). I really need help there! Otherwise is this a decent workout?

Thanks,
    Jm

jdm001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diet too...

Oh, finally: I'm trying to lose 15 lbs in my stomach area (just have the beer belly, everywhere else is fine... it's wierd) Anyway, how can I build muscle on upper body while losing weight w/o taking away from muscle.

Should I go for a high protein, low carb, low calorie diet?

NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So your goal is to add muscle, whilst losing fat, to bulk up yet cut back. Kind of contradictory but the best diet for that is high protein, high fat, low carbs. You'll not add muscle if you don't have enough calories. Also its the carbs that add the fat, not really the actual fat in the food.

As for the workout;

Chest-
    You need flat bench press as your primary focas, incline dumbells would be a good shout after that. Then dumbell flies and dips for the chest. Cable crossovers are for stroking your ego or striations and should be at the end of the workout... if at all. I would do biceps on chest day, you could split biceps and do half on chest day, half on back day.

Back and shoulder - bad split, better is back on its own
    You need pullups and rows of two kinds, bent over for lats and rows to the chest for traps.

Shoulder and triceps- really common split, and for good reason
    Military press, dumbell press laterial raise
    Then close grip bench, Z bar extensions, overhead extension

Legs - if your not looking bulk then do as you please

olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) olinerules87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jdm001 View Post
    a bit light on legs because I play a lot of team sports and I'd rather keep my legs lean like they are instead of really bulked up (for speed).
    because strong legs make you slow right???
    (note sarcasm)

your legs won't magically become too big and make you slower.

some more muscle would probably help you be a little faster and help with your sports

hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hiddindragon08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I only read it over quickly, but I didn't see deadlifts?

Slowly getting bigger!! dkemano42's Avatar
    dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey,

You need more for back. I would add deadlifts for back day. Leg actually looks good. For the set/rep scheme I would go with 5 x 8 on the compounds and 3 x 10 to 12 on the misc iso's. Calves need about 15 to 20 reps.

DK
    "After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done will have been done!"