Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

hair products containing tea-tree oil increase estrogen

I started using a new oil to enhance the look of my hair about 2 months ago, around the same time I noticed a loss of libido. My immediate reaction was to get off my diet(metabolic diet), I stopped taking all my supplements(multi and vit C), and I increased my cardio. Still nothing. I eventually got a little more lazy with my hair, and instead of using "carrot tea-tree oil" 2wice a day, usage dwindled down to 2wice a week. As the use of that product decreased, my libido slowly returned. Just to note, i'm a 21 y/o natural bodybuilder, libido problems should be non existent. Even though my libido increased after I discontinued use of the carrot tea-tree oil, I didn't make the connection until I read the following article

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

Just thought I'd warn you guys, tea-tree oil can be found in various moisturizers and shampoos
    The Anabolic Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=16584071

my 10 week hyperdrol log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=859128

my 50 day x-factor log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=807767

progress from 07/22/05-07/25/06
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=855643

Registered User VariantInterval's Avatar
    Stats: 5'9", 247 lbs
    BodyPoints: 6095
    VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) VariantInterval has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit VariantInterval's BodySpace
    lol, wow. I didn't know that. I used to used tea tree oil straight up from the bottle for my hair all the time, but I never experienced any negative side effects.

yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yodoso is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    either your body is not as sensitive to hormonal changes as mine, or I just used more tea-tree oil than you. I was putting it on twice a day for about 2 weeks.
    The Anabolic Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=16584071

my 10 week hyperdrol log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=859128

my 50 day x-factor log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=807767

progress from 07/22/05-07/25/06
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=855643

Stats: 6'1", 195 lbs
    BodyPoints: 8378
    Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Fred Flinstone has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Fred Flinstone's BodySpace
    i use tea tree oil shampoo, but i've never noticed a change in anything...

empty space FOR SALE MMA Superstar 2's Avatar
    BodyPoints: 31173
    MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MMA Superstar 2 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit MMA Superstar 2's BodySpace
    Oh ****, I better throw out the tea tree oil, I don't want to grow titties w/ milk in them.
    "Looks don't matter when you're in love, which is why I'll never fall in love, because looks always matter." -Gandhi

Stats: 5'11", 191 lbs
    BodyPoints: 29002
    dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazzlepecs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit dazzlepecs's BodySpace
    tbh if youre a guy and using lavender soap.....

BodyPoints: 13195
    Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Organichu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Organichu's BodySpace
    I use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo to rid me of my dandruff. I've used it for years without any loss in libido.

BodyPoints: 4465
    nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nordicnacho is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit nordicnacho's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    I use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo to rid me of my dandruff. I've used it for years without any loss in libido.
    True, but your a woman so it would not affect you

teatreeoil is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Tea tree Oil and estrogenic activity

The reputed estrogenic activity of tea tree oil is at best suspect and at worst sloppy science. Below is a response in another post that should help you make your own mind up about its supposed links to both gynecomastia (man-boobs) and its estrogenic aactivity:

No reputable sources state that tea tree oil is causative and there have been several articles and reviews published that refute the original article in the New England Journal of medicine by Henley et al (2007) entitled “Prepubertal Gynecomastia Linked to Lavender and Tea Tree Oils”.

It is intensely frustrating for the tea tree industry that this topic still comes up despite clear evidence to the contrary. I recommend an article by leading Aromatherapist Robert Tisserand on this subject which you can find on his website roberttisserand.com. The article is called TeaTree And Lavender Not Linked To Gynecomastia.

In summary:

In the original 2007 article the authors state that "...gynecomastia coincided with the topical application of products that contained lavender and tea tree oils..."The simple fact is that only one of the three products actually contained tea tree oil and that in such low concentration it was virtually undetectable. In the Tisserand article referred to he states ”…the shampoo was said to contain “very low concentrations” of tea tree oil, and the content in the hair gel was “virtually undetectable”. Lavender oil concentration was not checked (Neustaedter 2007).” Clearly this is sloppy science.

In another response to the 2007 paper, a response from Kemper et al (2007) states: “The study by Henley et al. (Feb. 1 issue) raises many questions. Product names were not provided. Did the authors contact manufacturers to report concerns or ask about constituents? The variability, adulteration, and contamination of herbal products have been widely reported, as have discrepancies between labels and contents. Plastic containers may contain phthalates, known endocrine disrupters. What was actually in the products cited in this report?” . More clear evidence of sloppy science.

The work on the estrogenic nature of tea tree oil is suspect too: A genuinely estrogenic substance does have to have some chemical relationship to estrogen. This is the only way that it could interact with estrogen receptor sites, and there is no other known mechanism for an estrogenic action. (It has to fit the receptor sites that exist to respond to the presence of estrogen.) The only functional group found in essential oils that could meet this requirement is the phenols, and tea tree oil contains no phenols. Further, any in vitro test that shows an estrogenic action, and where the effect cannot be explained through chemical structure, is highly suspect, and almost certainly due to some kind of artificial effect, i.e. not actually estrogenic at all.

Finally, in relation to the work by Henley which “…indicated that the two oils had estrogenic and antiandrogenic activities…” The fact is the composition of the essential oils tested for this activity is not given, nor is any other information about them, apart from the supplier. Since they do not appear to be organically grown, biocide content is a possibility. This further demonstrates the sloppy nature of the work by Henley et al.