jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Bodyweight Exercises to Failure

If I were to do dips,push-ups,sit-ups,and chin-ups to failure once a week,will I get any stronger in them?

maggot6(sic)6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea i think so. using weights it works.. but it only works to a certain point though. (you reach a plateau) you got any weights?
    Mess with the best - Die like the rest

jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ya,I got weights.

has a wealth of knowledge BB is 4 life :)'s Avatar
    BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BB is 4 life :) is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeh u will get stronger EVENTUALLY !!! wont b as quick as with weights !!! but yeh u will get stronger i always du dips 2 complete failure

no no,you misunderstand me.I'm still gonna train with weights(powerlifting)but I was asking like,I wanna incorporate some bodyweight exercises into my routines.Will I be able to do more dips,push-ups,etc. if I used them once a week in my routines?
    Last edited by jak; 05-17-2002 at 10:51 AM.

maggot6(sic)6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea do weights and bodyweight excersises. thats good. you will get stronger, im doin that too now
    Mess with the best - Die like the rest

Cool,do you know where I can substitute these exercises into this routine:push-ups,dips,and what should be the sets and reps for those two?
    Routine:
    Monday:
    -deadlift periodization
    -good mornings 3x6-8
    -bent over rows 3x10
    -bb shrugs 3x10-12
    -military press 3x8
    -upright rows 3x5

Wednesday:
    -floor/board presses 2x5-6
    -flat bench-periodization
    -incline bench 3x8-10
    -close grip 3x5
    -skull crushes w/barbell 3x8
    -french press 3x10

Friday:
    -powercleans
    -squat periodization(every 2wks alternate box squats in)
    -hack squats 3x6-8
    -sldl 3x8
    -step ups 3x6 each leg
    -standing raises

Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000)
    when i throw in pushups into my routine, it always is supersetted with db presses or flys (like, do a set and drop right into pushups til failure). But it looks like off your routine cycle, you might have to throw in the dips and pushups both into wed (chest.tris) Dips probably best towards the end of your workout.
    "Im the greatest scientifically inclined mind since einstein" -canibus-

daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daquietman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i always pump out a 20-rep set to failure of push-ups b4 bed, every day except for the day i work my chest and tris.
    i just do this for fun (rocky style) but also i understand it hits another muscle type and also it gives u relative body strength (as do pull-ups).

balboa

so,could I take out french presses and put dips in its place,and do 2xfailure?and just do push-ups whenever?

Joe1014 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From the looks of you routine,you train chest and tri's on the same day so put the pushups at the end of your chest workout and go to failure for 3 sets. And put the dips after your french presses on the same day and go to failure for 3 sets. Now you dont have to do this everyweek you can do it every other week for variety.

alright,I took french presses out all together,and added in the push-ups and dips.so my bench day now looks like this:

-floor/board presses 2x5-6
    -flat bench-periodization
    -incline bench 3x8-10
    -push-ups 3xfailure
    -close grip 3x5
    -skull crushes w/barbell 3x8
    -dips 3xfailure
    Last edited by jak; 05-17-2002 at 02:35 PM.

if i'm going to failure on push-ups and dips to failure shouldnt I do 2 sets?

ex_banana-eater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont go to failure too much. i took jeans and zulus advice of only going to failure about 1-2 times per workout, and ive kept the same size gains but my strength has been increasing more than before

Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
    dont go to failure too much. i took jeans and zulus advice of only going to failure about 1-2 times per workout, and ive kept the same size gains but my strength has been increasing more than before
    so,what should the reps and sets be like for the dips and push-ups? I cant do a lot of dips at all!I can only do two dips(I take two chairs,hang myself up,go down,and then back up).Should I do this:
    dips 2xfailure
    push-ups 2x25

SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    dude 2 dips. i figured you could do more. i always notice your posts cuz they are mainly about getting stronger and you remind me of a friend of mine (also named jake lol......or maybe jak is for jack?) who is always strength training.

lol ANYWAY

i do push-ups every other night before bed. it doesnt seem to affect me negativly. and ive been able to do more. but if you recover slow you should probably take a few days off between doing them.

ya,i'm not the strongest around(thats why I post stuff about trying to get stronger).and I think I may be doing dips wrong cuz my shoulders start to hurt like sh*t when I do them,so I stop at like two.

SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SLTS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ya i dont do dips cuz i get that too.

its suppose to work triceps and chest.....but it KILLS my shoulders like you said you have.

if you want a good body weight tricep exercise try this....

set up 2 chairs but your feet and legs up on one....then put your hands on the chair you are sitting on(finges facing the other chair).

now scoot your rear off the chair you are sitting so that your legs are on one chair....hands on the othe....and ass hanging in the middle. now push down then go back up. kills the triceps after a while.

does anyone know what this exercise is called?

RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes

then,whats it called?

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by jak
    no no,you misunderstand me.I'm still gonna train with weights(powerlifting)but I was asking like,I wanna incorporate some bodyweight exercises into my routines.Will I be able to do more dips,push-ups,etc. if I used them once a week in my routines?
    I don't know but you could ask this in the powerlifting section.

wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Someone said that pushups would be affective till u reach plateau, when plataeu is reached should to pec muscles be more bigger by then, if I find out pushups will make the chest no to big but big enough to scare off some de ye thing yer tough guys I will do them but im a bit put off by advice on this forum saying that they dont build much mass and just strentgh.

Im nowhere near the size of Toby maquire in Spiderman and I am quite flat chested, would I at least get the chest size of him when I reach plataeu by doing pushups and no weights?

daniel2166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) daniel2166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This'd be a good routine to do if you're on vacation at a cottage or something where you can't lift.

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1-2 sets per/workout to failure is enough. Any exercise, whether it is dumbbell curls, bench press, or push-ups, going to failure on each set is not going to do good for you.

Training to failure 1-2 sets per workout is okay, but not all sets.

wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wwfaustin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Should reaching plataeu when doing pushups make the chest big enough to make others think yer a bodybuilder but not too big as SLTS states in the topic he made?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...threadid=32113