El Dudereno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When squatting are you supposed to arch your spine?

Like when you deadlift? I notice my lower back tends to be sore after I squat, but if I arch my spine I'm afraid I'll lose my balance.

Any tips?
    El Dudereno he say: "Make every day an anabolic day."

>>>>>>
    anabolic

\An`a*bol"ic\, a.(Physiol.) Pertaining to anabolism; an anabolic change or process, more or less constructive in its nature.
    >>>>>>

Location: Walsall, West Midlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mad_Dog_Divine will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460417

read that chamone! Hee Hee!

chest out, natural back. remember to sit back. thats the main stuff.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Uh HELL no.

All-Natural Since 1982 Utah_Lifter's Avatar
    Utah_Lifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A lot of how you are going to do squats depends on your height too. The taller (i.e. longer your legs), the more chance you have of your back having to go forward _SLIGHTLY_ if you plan on going deep. Best way to see if you're doing them right is to find someone at your gym who's putting up some serious weight and looks like they know what they're doing and then ask them for tips. Then get a really good feel for how they're supposed to feel and then work up until you reach your max weight with good form. That's the kicker. I've seen this tiny little 130 pound guy "squatting" 500 pounds, but he was doing 1/4 reps and then looking around like he was hot stuff. It's hard to do full squats with good form so don't be too worried if the amount of weight you're pushing goes down. You should be able to feel the difference. I get a much better soreness after doing full reps at 225 then I ever do with partial reps of 350+.

Just my two cents though.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: When squatting are you supposed to arch your spine?

Originally posted by El Dudereno
    Like when you deadlift? I notice my lower back tends to be sore after I squat, but if I arch my spine I'm afraid I'll lose my balance.

Any tips?
    I think if you have long upper body in relation to your legs, you are going to come forward more.

I use a wide stance which keeps my upper body more upright and also hits my quads better.

Greg Zulak had a great idea which I use all the time. I lean forward slightly at the top and "lock" my self in that position. Works great for me.

DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DanMc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keep your chin look upwards it will tend to force your back into the correct form.

El Dudereno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I go nice and deep according to one of the only lifters whose opinion I would trust in our gym (but isn't that the way?!). I am 6'1" tall. I always feel it in my quads and glutes and lower back the day after squatting.

Just wondering if that was normal really...
    El Dudereno he say: "Make every day an anabolic day."

>>>>>>
    anabolic

\An`a*bol"ic\, a.(Physiol.) Pertaining to anabolism; an anabolic change or process, more or less constructive in its nature.
    >>>>>>

At 6'4 and 39 I have never felt squats in my back. glutes and thighs yes but that is the expected out come.

If your feeling them in your back you are doing them incorrectly....IMO

lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lgp9999 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by DanMc
    At 6'4 and 39 I have never felt squats in my back. glutes and thighs yes but that is the expected out come.

If your feeling them in your back you are doing them incorrectly....IMO
    yep...
    6'3'' 220lbs
    305 Bench Press
    225 Military Press
    400lb Dead Lift