Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tcM_Emperor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight?

I've heard you're supposed to get 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of your body wieght, is this true? Is it completely neccesary? Thanks for any replies!

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight?

Originally posted by tcM_Emperor
    I've heard you're supposed to get 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of your body wieght, is this true? Is it completely neccesary? Thanks for any replies!
    Depends on your caloric intake. Protein should be 12-15% of your intake. If you were eating 4000 cals per day, you should consume between 120-150 grams of protein per day.

weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weak_17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Re: Re: 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight?

Originally posted by HoosierBoy
    Depends on your caloric intake. Protein should be 12-15% of your intake. If you were eating 4000 cals per day, you should consume between 120-150 grams of protein per day.

Bull**** on that!

Diabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if your bulking then 1-2 grams per pound is normal. just experiment with what works for you but start at 1 gram and move up from there. you will probably find that 1.5g per pound is very achievable and should give you good gains (if you do everything else right too )

when cutting the amount of protein usually increases

BullDog_co_08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think the 1g/lb of bodyweight rule is bull****, I take in half that amount and have recieved good gains while gaining weight and when maintaining weight have maintained strength, If anything, I would say 1g/lb is what you should be consuming when cutting, and only to try and starve off muscle loss and leave less caloric room for other foods.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz

Re: Re: 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight?

Protein should be 12-15% of your intake.
    straight up wrong. most people in a hypocaloric balance would not be getting enough given this proportion.

maintenance: 0.6-0.8g/lb target BW
    bulking: 1.0-1.3g/lb target BW
    cutting: 1.0-1.5g/lb target BW

2.0g/lb is rarely needed.

CutMeUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by BullDog_co_08
    I think the 1g/lb of bodyweight rule is bull****, I take in half that amount and have recieved good gains while gaining weight and when maintaining weight have maintained strength, If anything, I would say 1g/lb is what you should be consuming when cutting, and only to try and starve off muscle loss and leave less caloric room for other foods.
    If you are getting .5g/lb then you are not maximizing your gains. True you may see gains, but not even close to what you could see. I mean hell, you can get stronger eating pizza twice a day, does that mean its what is best for you?
    A wise man listens....

teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) teen8ger has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Re: Re: Re: 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight?

Originally posted by alan aragon
    straight up wrong. most people in a hypocaloric balance would not be getting enough given this proportion.

what is target BW?
    Is it what you want your weight to be?
    so if i am bluking, and lets say I am 100 pounds.... my target BW will be more than 100?
    and if i am cutting, and I am 100 pounds... my target BW will be less than 100?
    Is that what it means?

And if so, then by target BW = 110 pounds for bulking and I will require minimum 110protein?

HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HoosierBoy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Originally posted by weak_17
    Bull**** on that!
    What a well supported argument! Your post shows that you are certainly a beginner.

Any nutritionist will tell you that the whole concept of more protein equals more muscle is a myth. Building muscle depends on increased caloric intake, which of course raises protein requirements, but not to the level of 1g per pound of bodyweight. Excess protein is eliminated from the body.

benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight?

What a well supported argument! Your post shows that you are certainly a beginner.

Any nutritionist will tell you that the whole concept of more protein equals more muscle is a myth. Building muscle depends on increased caloric intake, which of course raises protein requirements, but not to the level of 1g per pound of bodyweight. Excess protein is eliminated from the body.
    And you're awfully confident for someone not providing any references.

Just because I'm curious, why in the world would you believe that? Are you a PETA person? A vegan?

Whatever, you'll need to back yourself up, particulary when you contradict Alan.

ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Your body can use only what it can assimulate. Eveyone's needs are different, 1 g per lb. is a good benchmark if your training hard.

CutMeUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

any nutritionist??????? LMFAO

First off, how many nutritionists do you know that are bodybuilders? We have different requirments than the average person. Not knocking nutritionists, but I would be much more inclined to listen to an RD or someone who speaks from experience when it comes to a BB's diet.
    A wise man listens....

http://www.snac.ucla.edu/pages/Diet_...ion_basics.htm

http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.co...ion/protein_2/

http://www.nutricise.com/servlet/art...gth/20427.html

http://cgi.canoe.ca/HealthMayeMuskColumns/000912.html

The first one about sums it up. Your body cannot use more than about .91 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. And who is this Dr. Alan?

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    it's time to school a newbie.. i'm not being condescending here hoosierboy, i'm just being dead serious. so do yourself a favor and open your eyes & mind for a second, and listen up. i sure hope you learn something, you can thank me down the road.
    taken from the article: "even though you need more total grams of protein per day for muscle building, you still only need to eat 12-15% of your total calories from protein." oh really? well, let's look at an actual case study of a precontest bodybuilder. john doe (JD), weighing 160, is 4 weeks out, and still needs to lose another 1.5-2% BF to be really dialed in for the contest & photo shoots. so he cuts his cals down from 2400 to 2000. at your recommended 12-15% of 2000 cals, his protein intake range would be a woefully insufficient 60-75g per day (0.37-0.47g/lb).. now repeat this to yourself ten times: conventionally derived protein recommendations don't account for bodybuilding training during hypocaloric balance or precontest phases.

next tidbit, taken from that article you cited: "the body can only use a maximum of about 0.9 g protein per pound of body weight per day for tissue building." remember that mantra you just repeated to yourself? it applies here as well. what you're trying to achieve by protein intakes beyond 0.9g/lb in a cutting or precontest phase is anticatabolism; you're trying to save muscle (not to mention increase satiety & dietary thermic effect). it's pretty much a given that you have to be quite blessed to gain muscle during a hypocaloric balance, although it is in fact possible.. but the kicker here is that it IS possible to gain muscle during euacloric & hypercaloric balance with intakes beyond 0.9g/lb. for example, in a 12-wk intervention trial, dagan's research team observed a protein increase from 1.0g/lb to 1.59g/lb to cause 5 & 6% increase in strength & mass respectively, in elite weightlifters at what was thought to be the peak of their potential. no room to blame newbie gains for this phenomenon. i can provide a similar study if you'd like, but let's talk bodybuilding. repeat the following italicized mantra 10 times: as of yet, there is ZERO peer-reviewed published data on the specific protein needs of pre-contest bodybuilders on legitimate ergogenics such as creatine, let alone steroids. such ergogenics would undoubtedly increase the capacity of the body to put more dietary protein to use for anabolism &/or anticatabolism than the conventionally parroted upper limit of 0.9g/lb. this is a no-brainer for people who actually are bodybuilders, and who would agree based on experience. to preach against this would be committing the fallacies of inexperience + missing experimental data.
    repeat this 10 times to yourself: this article is written by individuals who very likely have have exactly zero bodybuilding experience, let alone any experience designing programs for bodybuilders and tracking their morphology. i could stop right here, but i'll continue. to quote the article, "When people start consuming too much protein (over 2.0 g/kg/d), the extra protein can become a stressful stimulus for the kidney." oh really? it depends on whose kidneys you're talking about. why do strength athletes as a population not have any higher incidence of kidney disease than the general population, and it's well-documented that they consume well over this amount? let's look at a study by poortmans and dellalieux, who examined the effect of protein intake of bodybuilders (1.9-2.8g/kg) in a 6 month trial. they concluded that "clinical measures of renal function do not appear to indicate renal stress in trained athletes who consume a high protein diet as measured in this study." okay, here we go.. "Depending on training intensity and duration, a range of 0.55 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight (1.2 to 1.8 g/kg) is sufficient." if the authors want to give credit where it's due, they should have mentioned dr peter lemon, the godfather of protein research for athletes, from whose work most of the more recent post-RDA recommendations originate. repeat after me: dr. lemon HIMSELF has conceded that the current body of protein research focuses on the parameter of nitrogen balance, and the aforementioned ranges are merely sufficient to prevent negative nitrogen balance, and not necessarily OPTIMIZE gains &/or performance. in other words, there is a big difference between what indicates the threshold of decrement versus what provides a buffer for optimization. to reiterate: precontest bodybuilding protein requirements under supplemented dietary conditions have not been examined by research.
    haha! funny that this article was written by an MSRD. just this last week i let a very decorated MSRD (degreed in ex-phys, AND a registered dietitian) intern with me at my private practice for a day (hey she bought me lunch), and she even offered to pay $$$ for me to teach her my specific methods of deriving & manipulating dietary protocols for bodybuilders & other athletes. i still have to get back to her on how much of my bag of tricks i'm willing to divulge for monetary gain, and trust me, she's waiting with baited breath. you know, i love dietitians. as a group, they are very intelligent & industrious. but the thing is, as a group, they will admit - with the exception of a small subset - their experience with sports nutrition is minimal. RDs who have bodybuilding knowledge & experience are as easy to find as needles in haystacks, or snowflakes in hell. they exist, but they are few & far between. it's no surprise that this author quoted, "Body builders and athletes can increase their intake to 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram body weight", when the range for bodybuilders & strength athletes quoted by peter lemon, ed fahey, jeff stout, jose antonio, & other preeminent human performance researchers is listed as 1.5-2.0g/kg in many many many legitimate scientific publications (but still they haven't examined the needs of supplementing bodybuilders in their various seasonal phases).

The first one about sums it up. Your body cannot use more than about .91 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. And who is this Dr. Alan?
    it's at this point that you need to re-read the rebuttals to your links. i am an accredited continuing education provider for physicians, dietitians, personal trainers, and other health professionals. when i lecture in new york, i will invite that MSRD whose article you cited to attend. after all, she needs the credits to maintain her license. i realize you may have been facetious in calling me "Dr Alan", but note that many doctors have been my STUDENTS. although i possess them, formal credentials mean very little to me. my clientelle in private practice is almost exclusively athletes. i'm a bodybuilder with experience in working with bodybuilders. you have the freedom to listen & learn from whom you please. just beware of having a closed mind victimized by the constraints of dogma & conventional wisdom.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 08-03-2004 at 02:55 PM.

indentured servant velikimajmun's Avatar
    velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) velikimajmun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    it's time to school a newbie.. i'm not being condescending here hoosierboy, i'm just being dead serious. so do yourself a favor and open your eyes & mind for a second, and listen up. i sure hope you learn something, you can thank me down the road.

That was one of the nastiest pimp slaps I've seen in a while
    Avant Labs Rep

Sesalean the fat burning oil is now available

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight?

Originally posted by CutMeUp
    any nutritionist??????? LMFAO

First off, how many nutritionists do you know that are bodybuilders? We have different requirments than the average person. Not knocking nutritionists, but I would be much more inclined to listen to an RD or someone who speaks from experience when it comes to a BB's diet.
    I agree 100%. Most nutritionists' advice is useless and down right wrong when it pertains to bodybuilders.

On the subject of 1 gram per pound, alot of what I have read says one gram of protein per pound is the MINIMUM a hard training athlete/bodybuilder needs to sustain muscle growth. In some people, it can be more.

I have found in my case that increasing my intake from slightly over 1 to 1.25, then to 1.50 over the last 3 years has resulted in gains that I would have thought were impossible before.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full...stract%28s%29&

Long link, but read this article (by another doctor) supporting my view. Oh wait, I forgot. Bodybuilders are so incredibly unique and completely different from athletes who are also gaining weight.

well, let's look at an actual case study of a precontest bodybuilder. john doe (JD), weighing 160, is 4 weeks out, and still needs to lose another 1.5-2% BF to be really dialed in for the contest & photo shoots. so he cuts his cals down from 2400 to 2000. at your recommended 12-15% of 2000 cals, his protein intake range would be a woefully insufficient 60-75g per day (0.37-0.47g/lb)..

And did John try to only eat 75g per day? Do you know for sure what would have happened if he did?
    Last edited by HoosierBoy; 08-03-2004 at 08:08 PM.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm not sure what point of view of yours the article supports?

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full...stract%28s%29&

Long link, but read this article (by another doctor) supporting my view. Oh wait, I forgot. Bodybuilders are so incredibly unique and completely different from athletes who are also gaining weight.
    apparently you have no idea what's involved with the sport of bodybuilding. if you need to be informed that bodybuilding objectives are unique & completely different, then here lies the root of your misunderstanding.

let me first repeat a snippet of what i said earlier in this thread:

originally posted by alan aragon:
    if the authors want to give credit where it's due, they should have mentioned dr peter lemon, the godfather of protein research for athletes, from whose work most of the more recent post-RDA recommendations originate. repeat after me: dr. lemon HIMSELF has conceded that the current body of protein research focuses on the parameter of nitrogen balance, and the aforementioned ranges are merely sufficient to prevent negative nitrogen balance, and not necessarily OPTIMIZE gains &/or performance. in other words, there is a big difference between what indicates the threshold of decrement versus what provides a buffer for optimization. to reiterate: precontest bodybuilding protein requirements under supplemented dietary conditions have not been examined by research.
    now compare it to a quote from the study you posted -- which happens to be by the researcher i cited, peter lemon:

Perhaps the intake of creatine (and/or some other compound in meat and fish) in combination with the associated large amino acid intake can explain why strength athletes experience gains in mass and strength with protein intakes far exceeding where the laboratory studies show no further gains. This hypothesis needs to be examined.
    DO YOU SEE ANY EERIE SIMILARITY OF STATEMENTS?? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW YOU ARE EFFECTIVELY VALIDATING MY ARGUMENT??!!

And did John try to only eat 75g per day? Do you know for sure what would have happened if he did?
    it's hard for me to believe you're debating me on this particular point, but i'll indulge you.. JD was at a plateau taking in appx 120g before he started his formal protocol. an increase to 170g yielded a marked, measurable increase in strength & lean body mass. i wouldn't even go near 75g for JD's goals.

i'm done with you. if you were willing to learn, i would be willing to teach. but you're not there yet. drop me a line when you are.

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    excellent posts alan.

and on the subject at hand. i'd much rather eat too much protein than possibly eat too little.

John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000) John Benz is just really nice. (+1000)

True if natural. 2.0g/lb will make a noticeable difference if using aas.
    ADMIN@ Sons of Iron
    ADMIN@ MuscleforumUSA
    SUPERMOD@ Anabolic-Enhancement
    SUPERMOD@ MassMonsterz

Originally posted by John Benz
    True if natural. 2.0g/lb will make a noticeable difference if using aas.
    yep.. agreed. in my experience, gearhedz can put 15-25% more protein to use than natties. so in many cases, amounts approaching 2.0g/lb definitely works with that population. something to consider though, is that i base my numbers on target bodyweight (ie, the bodyweight you're trying to shoot for, not the current bodyweight unless your goal is maintenance), so that can alter the relativity of need.

Registered User PracFitnessTips's Avatar
    PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PracFitnessTips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Protein Requirments

Originally Posted by tcM_Emperor View Post

Hi All,

Can I attempt to shed some light on this? Below I've pasted an article I prepared based on research on recommended protein intake from multiple sources from around the world. In summary, I'd recommend 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (for males, or 1.2 g for females). Read on...

Your body's transformation is dependent on a simple mathematical equation: if you eat about 15% more calories than your body actually needs (as long as you?re regularly lifting weights), you will build muscle - or, if you eat about 15% fewer calories than your body needs, you will burn fat.

Whatever your goal, some organisations and individuals (particularly within the bodybuilding community), insist on athletes eating an extraordinarily high amount of protein - sometimes double, triple, or even higher than levels typically recommended by international government health boards - however, these government institutions have simultaneously been criticised for having requirements which are too low!

In conducting our research, the first step Practical Fitness Tips took was to analyse the recommendations from multiple sources, from numerous locations around the world.

We discovered that the below organisations suggest the following intakes of protein for males (females would require approximately 15% less than these figures - mainly due to body composition differences between the two genders). If a separate figure was available for 'active' males, or even better for 'bodybuilders' or 'athletes' specifically, we have provided this figure whenever possible. Here they are, in approximate order from least to greatest:

1) World Health Organisation - 0.45 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

2) British Nutrition Foundation - 0.75 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

3) Food & Nutrition Board (USA) - 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

4) Health Canada - 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

5) National Health & Medical Research Council (Australia) - 0.84 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

6) American Association of Kidney Patients - 0.8 to 1.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

7) Ask the Dietician - 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

8) Journal of Applied Physiology (USA) - 1.0 to 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

9) Medscape (USA) - 1.2 to 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (for 'endurance athletes').

10) Canadian Dietetic Association - 1.0 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

11) American Dietetic Association - 1.0 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

12) Medscape (USA) - 1.4 to 1.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (for 'bodybuilders').

13) Journal of the American College of Nutrition - 1.6 to 1.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

14) Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (UK) - 1.4 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

15) Iron Magazine (USA) - 2.2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

16) Bodybuilding.com 'Protein Calculator' (USA) - 3.3 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

...so as you can see, we've got a huge range, from a low of 0.45 grams (World Health Organisation) to a high of 3.3 grams (Bodybuilding.com). Which do we trust?

There are many reasons the World Health Organisation has such a low requirement of 0.45 grams - one of which is likely due to the fact that they are involved in many developing countries. In comparison, government organisations from wealthy developed countries like Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and the United States seem to opt for between 0.75 to 0.84 grams.

As we read down to the middle of the above list, we get more into the somewhat 'medical' or 'sports-related' organisations, which seem to recommend between about 1 to 1.6 grams.

Then, lastly, there are a few highs up to 3.3 grams - which are from bodybuilding sources.

After undertaking this research, Practical Fitness Tips would recommend that male athletes consume 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight - which, although higher than typical government recommendations for the 'average individual', and although lower than hardcore bodybuilding recommendations, it is in keeping with either a low or high figure from:

- Journal of Applied Physiology
    - Medscape (the high figure for 'endurance athletes', and the low figure for 'bodybuilders')
    - Canadian Dietetic Association
    - American Dietetic Association
    - Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition

In summary, the protein debate seems to remain unresolved. Furthermore, there appears to be insufficient evidence to suggest that consuming much more protein than 1.4 grams per kilogram of bodyweight (for male athletes) will be beneficial for building lean muscle mass. More importantly, consuming more protein than this may be unsafe for our internal organs, particularly the kidneys.

Therefore, for now, Practical Fitness Tips chooses to recommend 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram for male athletes, and 1.2 grams for female athletes (approximately 15% less).

For example, if you are a:

1) Male athlete - an 80 kilogram (or 176 pound) man would need approximately 112 grams of protein per day - or about 22 or 23 grams of protein (on average) per meal/snack spread over 5 eating sessions daily - ideally with slightly more protein in the post-workout meal.

2) Female athlete - a 60 kilogram (or 132 pound) woman would need approximately 72 grams of protein per day - or about 14 grams of protein (on average) per meal/snack spread over 5 eating sessions daily - ideally with slightly more protein in the post-workout meal.

Protein supplements are an effective, safe and convenient way to supplement your daily protein intake without adding unnecessary calories from carbohydrates or fats typically found in many natural foods where protein is found.
    Craig Walker
    PRACTICAL FITNESS TIPS: Free, straightforward information on building a better body.
    www.PracticalFitnessTips.com - find us on the web, ******** & Twitter.

No thanks for pulling up a five year old thread and using it as a blatant plug for your business.

127 grams of protein for a 200 pound athlete/bodybuilder is totally inadequate.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wrong_Hole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by egoatdoor View Post
    No thanks for pulling up a five year old thread and using it as a blatant plug for your business.

127 grams of protein for a 200 pound athlete/bodybuilder is totally inadequate.
    lol it took you 5 years to respond to these thread.

nice posts by alan though, thanks for the bump.

00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 00200293 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sorry, my question was answered above. I must learn to read the entire thread first.

x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PracFitnessTips View Post

As mentioned previously, 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (yes, that means "127 grams of protein for a 200 pound athlete/bodybuilder") is recommended by the following reputable organisations:

- Journal of Applied Physiology;
    - Medscape;
    - Canadian Dietetic Association;
    - American Dietetic Association;
    - Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition;
    - and many more!
    I think you may be taking some of these recommendations out of context and making it seem these recommendations are necessarily for bodybuilders. For example, I Googled for what the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition has to say and this is what I found:
    In summary, it is the position of the International Society of Sport Nutrition that exercising individuals ingest protein ranging from 1.4 to 2.0 g/kg/day.
    http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8

For starters, 1.4 grams was on the low end, so claiming that they recommend 1.4 grams is misleading. Then, notice that they said "exercising individuals" and they weren't singling out bodybuilders. Do you think a bodybuilder would be on the low end of the protein recommendation? I think not. From the same article:
    Strength/power exercise is thought to increase protein requirements even more than endurance exercise, particularly during the initial stages of training and/or sharp increases in volume. Recommendations for strength/power exercise typically range from 1.6 to 2.0 g/kg/day
    Now if I were going to cite the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition in the opposite way that you did (just citing the high end), I could make the following claim:

2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight is recommended by the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.

x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-ray vision has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PracFitnessTips View Post
    Hi X-Ray Vision,

You're right, that article by JISSN does recommend 1.4 to 2.0 grams of protein
    No, it doesn't. Are you now also picking and choosing what posters here write? That was the recommendation for "exercising individuals." I already posted what the recommendations were for "strength/power exercise" and it seems you're deliberately ignoring that the minimum is 1.6. If that strength/power exerciser was a bodybuilder wanting to specifically put on muscle, do you think the minimum would be a good idea? I don't.

All I meant was that the figure of 1.4g would be in AGREEMENT with the JISSN guidelines, along with the others I mentioned, that's all.
    Wrong on two counts. I already posted that it's not, although you seem to be in denial about this. Second, even if their recommendation did start at 1.4 grams, it would have been only the starting point. If they had said 1.4 to 2.0 grams, claiming that they recommend 1.4 grams is inaccurate and not being truthful (I'm talking about your second and third post here).

You don't actually believe the organizations such as the American Dietetic Association are listing protein requirements for bodybuilders in the interest of putting on muscle mass, do you? Do you know how they obtained those numbers?

Do you have a cite for the Journal of Applied Physiology recommending 1.0 to 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight for bodybuilders? It's customary to provide cites for these sort of claims and you've provided none (and I've already shown how one of your cites did not say what you claimed they did).
    Last edited by x-ray vision; 11-22-2009 at 08:43 AM.

onesh0t1kill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by x-ray vision View Post
    No, it doesn't. Are you now also picking and choosing what posters here write? That was the recommendation for "exercising individuals." I already posted what the recommendations were for "strength/power exercise" and it seems you're deliberately ignoring that the minimum is 1.6. If that strength/power exerciser was a bodybuilder wanting to specifically put on muscle, do you think the minimum would be a good idea? I don't.

Wrong on two counts. I already posted that it's not, although you seem to be in denial about this. Second, even if their recommendation did start at 1.4 grams, it would have been only the starting point. If they had said 1.4 to 2.0 grams, claiming that they recommend 1.4 grams is inaccurate and not being truthful (I'm talking about your second and third post here).

You don't actually believe the organizations such as the American Dietetic Association are listing protein requirements for bodybuilders in the interest of putting on muscle mass, do you? Do you know how they obtained those numbers?

Do you have a cite for the Journal of Applied Physiology recommending 1.0 to 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight for bodybuilders? It's customary to provide cites for these sort of claims and you've provided none (and I've already shown how one of your cites did not say what you claimed they did).
    if your saying that its more like 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight for the LOW end of muscle hypertrophy/bodybuilding and more like 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight for the high end of muscle hypertrophy/bodybuilding then you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. pracfittips is on the extremely low scale for muscle hypertrophy/ bb; the amount of protein he is stating is more suited for muscular endurance vs muscular hypertrophy.

1 GRAM OF PROTEIN PER ****POUND**** OF BODYWEIGHT IS TOO MUCH. 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is absolutely ridiculous. your body is just going to piss it out and if you keep eating that much protein (2 grams per pound of bodyweight) you will start having problems. I don't care what type of training you do if your 160 pounds taking in 320 grams of protein a day you are strongly misinformed or just stupid. DO YOUR RESEARCH, and stop trusting companies that are SELLING YOU PROTEIN, they obviously want you to take it all and just buy more....

OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OldNewb29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by onesh0t1kill View Post
    if your saying that its more like 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight for the LOW end of muscle hypertrophy/bodybuilding and more like 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight for the high end of muscle hypertrophy/bodybuilding then you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. pracfittips is on the extremely low scale for muscle hypertrophy/ bb; the amount of protein he is stating is more suited for muscular endurance vs muscular hypertrophy.

1 GRAM OF PROTEIN PER ****POUND**** OF BODYWEIGHT IS TOO MUCH. 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is absolutely ridiculous. your body is just going to piss it out and if you keep eating that much protein (2 grams per pound of bodyweight) you will start having problems. I don't care what type of training you do if your 160 pounds taking in 320 grams of protein a day you are strongly misinformed or just stupid. DO YOUR RESEARCH, and stop trusting companies that are SELLING YOU PROTEIN, they obviously want you to take it all and just buy more....
    you realize you're arguing with a 5 year old post, in a 10 year old thread right?