dragtown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

needs to strengthen back....what exercises can I do???

Hi, guys! I recently went to see an orthopedic cause I have scoliosis. Anyway, he advised me that it would be really helpful if I truly strengthen my back in order to prevent further progression of the curvature. I particularly need to strengthen the middle back.....and of course the other parts.

So can you guys give me some safe and good exercises for these parts. I know bb row is good, but I'm trying to limit myself from doing it......might be too hard on my spine. Any exercises you guys can recommend? Thanks!

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    DB rows, deadlifts, pullups (weighted if possible), BB rows, tbar rows, rack pulls. There are tons of exercises you can do to strengthen your back.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TRICK D has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To do middle back i suggest seated cable rows on the machine... that should strengthen the middle of the back well...

My back workout this cycle is

Lat pull downs
    Seated Cable Rows
    Barbell rows
    Pull ups
    and a lowerback exercise I have no idea what it is called...

I do deadlifts with legs...
    Moderator @ another place.

Rep for SK.com

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Be very careful with deadlifts. Start out light and practice form. I think pullups are a great choice as it's pretty much impossible to injure yourself even with bad form. Add that to rows and some practiced deadlifts and you'll have a strong back.

Of The Clan Of Christ. Uber-neggR's Avatar
    Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000) Uber-neggR is just really nice. (+1000)
    olympic lifts.

specifically power-snatches. IMO.
    Isaiah 43:2: When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you.

DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50) DieselWeasel will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: needs to strengthen back....what exercises can I do???

Originally posted by dragtown
    Hi, guys! I recently went to see an orthopedic cause I have scoliosis. Anyway, he advised me that it would be really helpful if I truly strengthen my back in order to prevent further progression of the curvature. I particularly need to strengthen the middle back.....and of course the other parts.

So can you guys give me some safe and good exercises for these parts. I know bb row is good, but I'm trying to limit myself from doing it......might be too hard on my spine. Any exercises you guys can recommend? Thanks!
    Deadlifts and Weighted Pull-Ups are the answer.

thanks guys!

I'm currently doing,

bb row
    chins
    cable rows
    lat pulldown

do you guys think this good enough??

I know people here don't advocate behind the back pulldowns, but I can really feel my middle back with this exercise. Do you think this is good enough reason for me to include it? I don't go really heavy...I try concentrate on just using my back and the bis.

Thanks!

eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    try doing some hyper extensions and some deadlifts just so you can strengthen your lower back also, your routine seems mostly centered around your upper back region.

ozza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are worred about your spine doing BB rows, you might be lucky enough to have a prone row bench which you can lie on, or lean against to support your spine, but with good form, BB Bent-Overs should help to strengthen your back a lot, as well as working the muscles that will stabilise your torso.

HitManSE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Reverse Hyperextensions.

Originally posted by eyeofthetiger
    try doing some hyper extensions and some deadlifts just so you can strengthen your lower back also, your routine seems mostly centered around your upper back region.

I actually do deadlifts during my leg days....

if I lean or lie on a bench and do DB rows, would that be a good exercise?

HitManSE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That movment is more aimed for your lats. Its not really a bad movment, but not exactly what your asking. You want your LOWER back to be strong as hell. See my previous post. Normal Hyperextensions, and Deadlifts will also get your lower back stonger but only with proper form. Work your abs as well, they stabilize your lower back.

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Should be fine. Lieing on a bench should actually take some of the stress off your spine while performing rows.
    Do you have a machine for doing hyperextensions? That would be the best to start off with your lower back. Then you could progress to deadlifts.
    Just remember, if and when you do deads, start very low for several weeks. No reason to push the weight immediately.

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by HitManSE
    Work your abs as well, they stabilize your lower back.
    bump

Originally posted by Eric_FXST
    Should be fine. Lieing on a bench should actually take some of the stress off your spine while performing rows.
    Do you have a machine for doing hyperextensions? That would be the best to start off with your lower back. Then you could progress to deadlifts.
    Just remember, if and when you do deads, start very low for several weeks. No reason to push the weight immediately.
    No, unfortunately my gym doesn't have an hyperextension machine. Should I really do hyperextensions? I already do deadlifts during leg days, and I'm slowly getting stronger with it... I've just added 10 lbs in 2 weeks to my deadlift.