JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Encouraging your body to burn fat

i know that if you're on a large calorie deficit your body will think it's being starved and will try to reduce muscle to reduce the amount of maintenance calories for the next day.

i've been thinking about it, so what if you did a lot of exercise with a fairly large calorie deficit but not enough to make your body think it's starving, would your body primarily burn fat?
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50) josh0899 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    anything more then 3500 per week / 500 per day calorie defect and apparently your body will start to burn muscle.

just eat 500 calories less then your maintinence and exercise cardio 3-5 days a week with weight training 3-5 days a week and you should consistently loose 1-2 lbs of fat while maintaining your lean muscle mass.

hope that helps..

I rep back 1,000,000+ natescope's Avatar
    natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    from personal experience, yes it would burn primarily fat if you exercise enough, b/c when your body empties its glycogen stores, it turns to fat, not muscle, and you basically maintain the same state as one would achieve on ketosis
    just take "The Biggest Loser" for example, those contestants train like crazy on severely cut back diet. the only muscle they're losing is a result of weight loss when their legs aren't forced to manuever 300lbs anymore
    Last edited by natescope; 06-09-2007 at 06:45 AM.
    ~No alcohol~

-------------------------
    negs: jack90; CelticTiger (douches)

AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well... your body uses muscle for energy if it thinks you're starving (see gluconeogenesis)

That's why going into too much of a calorie deficit is detrimental.

500 calories is really a ball park. I think the real formula was something like 32 calories per pound of body fat you have is the max caloric deficit including exercise.

-Good Luck

Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everyone is different. Everyone's body responds differently. Some people might lose muscle going on more than a 500 calories a day deficit but some can handle it. I have been doing a defecit of 1000 -1200 calories a day and have been consistently losing 2-3 pounds a week for months now. I keep my protein up and lift weights hard every week hitting each muscle twice a week. Add to that 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week and I have had great results.

Everyone likes to say no more than 500 calories a day but you must remember that this is a guidline, NOT A RULE.

Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Plain Jane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're concerned about your calorie deficit forcing your body to burn muscle, perhaps you should look into a ketogenic diet. On keto, your ration of fat-protein-carbs is around 65-35-5. After a few days your body will exhaust it's glycogen stores, and a low carb intake will not be enough to replenish them, forcing your body to use another fuel source. The high quantity of protein will help spare muscle, and the very high quantity of fat leads signals the body to use this as fuel since it's so abundant. A 500 calorie deficit on keto is much more muscle sparing than any other diet I've yet encountered. It sounds counterintuitive, but it works for most people.

amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by natescope View Post
    from personal experience, yes it would burn primarily fat if you exercise enough, b/c when your body empties its glycogen stores, it turns to fat, not muscle, and you basically maintain the same state as one would achieve on ketosis
    just take "The Biggest Loser" for example, those contestants train like crazy on severely cut back diet. the only muscle they're losing is a result of weight loss when their legs aren't forced to manuever 300lbs anymore
    I just read an article in Time about how the majority of biggest loser contestants gained back most if not all (and then some) of their weight. They tried to imply the only way to keep it off is to do what the one girl does and exercise 6 days a week for 4 hours+ (which is pure BS).

The bb.com way is generally 1-2 lbs a week (3 lbs if you are 300+), but of course there are always people who like the more extreme stuff.

If the OP is really 5'9" at 147 lbs you definately need to add muscle mass.

EazyE15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EazyE15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EazyE15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by amjzzz View Post
    I just read an article in Time about how the majority of biggest loser contestants gained back most if not all (and then some) of their weight. They tried to imply the only way to keep it off is to do what the one girl does and exercise 6 days a week for 4 hours+ (which is pure BS).

The bb.com way is generally 1-2 lbs a week (3 lbs if you are 300+), but of course there are always people who like the more extreme stuff.

Well explain that guy who lost i think it was 17lb in 30 days. And all the Velocity Diet sucesses. The people on TBL must just revert to their old habits. If they came off their extreme plan slowly, and added 100 cals every week, they wouldnt gain the weight back.

amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by EazyE15 View Post
    Well explain that guy who lost i think it was 17lb in 30 days. And all the Velocity Diet sucesses. The people on TBL must just revert to their old habits. If they came off their extreme plan slowly, and added 100 cals every week, they wouldnt gain the weight back.
    read my sig

I rep back 1,000,000+ natescope's Avatar
    natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) natescope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

i bet most of those failures occurred b/c they went back to junk food
    ~No alcohol~

-------------------------
    negs: jack90; CelticTiger (douches)

Originally Posted by natescope View Post
    i bet most of those failures occurred b/c they went back to junk food
    It could be. It didn't really go into depth. A better article would have talked about their current diets and exercise plans and their weight/bodyfat change. It was Time what are you gonna do

mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It could be. It didn't really go into depth. A better article would have talked about their current diets and exercise plans and their weight/bodyfat change. It was Time what are you gonna do
    OK then, here's a recent interview with Marty from the last season of TBL, talking about how he and Amy (also from the same season) are now motivational speakers, personal trainers, although there's only a very brief mention of their current training.

http://www.realitywanted.net/2007/05...w-marty-wolff/

EazyE15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EazyE15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EazyE15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
    OK then, here's a recent interview with Marty from the last season of TBL, talking about how he and Amy (also from the same season) are now motivational speakers, personal trainers, although there's only a very brief mention of their current training.

http://www.realitywanted.net/2007/05...w-marty-wolff/

Yea he gained weight. But that was because he dehydrated himself before the finale anyway.

RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RogerB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    Everyone is different. Everyone's body responds differently. Some people might lose muscle going on more than a 500 calories a day deficit but some can handle it. I have been doing a defecit of 1000 -1200 calories a day and have been consistently losing 2-3 pounds a week for months now. I keep my protein up and lift weights hard every week hitting each muscle twice a week. Add to that 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week and I have had great results.

Everyone likes to say no more than 500 calories a day but you must remember that this is a guidline, NOT A RULE.
    Im the same. My maintanence was 3762!. Ive been following riptoes and eating between 2500-2650 for a month now, 40-20-40. Lost 13.2 pounds. First week went down dramatically (water). Since then i have lost 6.5 pounds in 3 weeks. 2.2 pounds a week, seems fine.

JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JiP is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i'm pretty fat, just wanna shed most of it so when i clean bulk i won't have to cut for a loooong time
    Powerlifting log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172662011&page=1

Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rob Awesome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You need ton consume your resting metabolic rate's base calorie intake for basic functioning & maintaining. Add EE (Energy Expenditure) on top of that and you find yourself in a calorie defecit... enough to lose body weight.

To promote bodyfat loss... depends on the type of exercise and your habitual eating habits. Through training this can become more occuring to burn body fat.
    Enter.at.your.own.Pleasure

Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by josh0899 View Post
    anything more then 3500 per week / 500 per day calorie defect and apparently your body will start to burn muscle.

just eat 500 calories less then your maintinence and exercise cardio 3-5 days a week with weight training 3-5 days a week and you should consistently loose 1-2 lbs of fat while maintaining your lean muscle mass.

hope that helps..
    "in theory"
    **disclaimer** the above is only opinion. it contains no capitalization, too much punctuation and (most likely) includes spelling errors.

MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MUFC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JiP View Post
    i'm pretty fat, just wanna shed most of it so when i clean bulk i won't have to cut for a loooong time
    it is easier for you to clean bulk now and cut later when you have more muscle mass.