Registered User IamthatDamnGood's Avatar
    IamthatDamnGood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Good age to start lifting?

My son is 12 and a half years old and he wants to start lifting. Is this old enough to start? and if it is what would be the most safe workout program to put him on. Thanks for any help on this issue. Because I know what is good for me, but I do not know anything about younger people. Peace
    MILF...Keep Your Mom off the Streets...Cause I am cumming...

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it's fine for him to start lifting at his age, just not as heavy as older more experienced bodybuilders. I don't think i'm experienced enough to write you up a program, there are alot of people with much more knowledge than me in that area. The only advice i could give you is to not let him start doing 6RM squats (or anything else that heavy for that matter). Pro. sets of 12-20 reps for lower body and 8-12 for upper body - 2-3 exercises per bodypart, 2-3 sets per exercise and nothing taken to faliure. Don't get me wrong though, weight training should still be pretty tough and your son should still fight to get through his sets, once he becomes more experienced under your supervision, he can start going heavy.

keegan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm starting my 10 year old on a program.

Light wieghts .... high reps.. Core excersises only.

a good article is at:

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/jay1.htm

Keegan

KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50) KyokushinTiger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    16 is a good age to start.

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    any age is a good age to start IMO, exercise is for everyone - in weightlifting you just have to be smart about it at a younger age, at 15-16 you can probably start going as heavy as possible without any problems, as long as you know what you are doing.

ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozcoltsfan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    straight outta the womb

but seriously i think 10 is too early, unless he is only at it like once a week with really light weights

12 is ok i guess IMO, maybe twice a week

dont have anyone lift anything above their head while they are upright until at least 15-16

thats just what i think

LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LincolnHawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started on a serious program when I was 12.

If I remember correctly, it was 2 days a week. One hour per session. Core exercises. Basically three sets per movement.

Bench - 10, 8, 8, 6
    Seated Cable row - 10, 8, 8
    Flys - 8, 8, 8

Arm Curls - 8, 8, 8
    Tri Extensions - 8, 8, 8

Squats - 8, 6, 6, 4
    Leg press - 10, 8, 8

Leg curls - 8, 8, 8
    Leg extensions - 8, 8, 8

Seated military (machine) 10, 8, 8

Just don't over do it.

I remember they would test us once a month (this was for football) to SHOW us the progress we were making. Kid's need to see results or they'll get bored very quickly. If they see a 5 lb increase in bench after one month, you'll see their interest sky rocket.

Also, stress getting a lifting partner. Kids need a partner to spot for them (for safety), and to push themselves (you'd be surprised how much harder he'll work if a friend is watching).

Make sure he knows proper technique before turning him loose!!!!! Nothing irks me more then seeing a kid come into the weight room, slam WAAAAAAYYYY too much weight on the bar, and cheat his a$$ off to get the weight up.

MAKE him write it down. If he isn't writing it down, he is probably cheating.

Talk to him about lifting. Make sure he understands the importance of a FULL body workout. Tell him that a big Bench Press will impress all his friends, but he won't be a REAL man unless he works on the total package.

Force him to take a break from lifting after about six weeks. He needs a week off (that means not even looking at a dumb bell), just so he doesn't get bored, and to keep from over training.

Lifting isn't JUST FOR BOYS! If you've got a daughter that is around 12, start her on a program as well. It's just as important for a teenage girl to be strong and confident as it is for a teenage boy.

THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY: Take a multi-V EVERY MORNING! Even my two year old takes one EVERY day. Now, she actually reminds me every morning.

Hope this helps.

HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10) HP400 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I started with push-ups and sit-ups. Maybe doing a no weight workout for a few months to get him used to lifting. Push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, sit-ups, etc.

Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000) Fudog1138 is just really nice. (+1000)
    My 11 year old daughter is starting to show interest in weights. I certainley won't deny that interest, but am starting her on push-ups, crunches, pull-ups, sissy squats and of course running. Sprints and 1 mile runs.
    If she continues I would let her throw light weights (probably buy those neoprene coated ones) for higher reps.

From what I've read the big stink the medical community has with kids and lifting is the kids who are trying to lift heavy, to young. Starting out with isometrics and body weight lifts strengthens the body all the way around. I only wish that I had done it with regularity when I was younger.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever

Sometimes, Preliminary Research makes sense..... ---> A search is a terrible thing to waste!

Registered User IamthatDamnGood's Avatar
    IamthatDamnGood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks

Thanks alot everyone for your info.. Now I can set up a program to get him started.. Thanks again.. Peace
    MILF...Keep Your Mom off the Streets...Cause I am cumming...