Location: Newcastle, Newcastle, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    aatwo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

skinny neck to tree trunk neck

I'm one of these guys that used to be pretty skinny before I took up weight lifting. I have been lifting for a couple of years now and I am really happy with my gains, however there's one part of me that's made very little progress. My neck. It is still very thin when viewed from the side. Now I have seen a lot of well built up guys with very skinny necks, and I have seen a lot of well built up guys with huge necks. So what are these two groups of people doing differently?

I do a lot of shrugs, squats, deadlifts etc and my routine is pretty good, but are there any neck specific exercises I should be adding to my workout to get some decent gains on my neck?

Basically this is a case of "I have a skinny neck but I want a tree trunk neck".

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For neck size, wrestlers bridges.

In terms of differences in individuals... you see the same variance in chests, backs, calves...whatever.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000) Kate~ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Any exercise hitting the sternocleiomastoid muscle..

any and all trap exercises. You still may not genetically get that thick neck..geeze..hope i don't
    rather be 4wheelin !

HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    could pick up a neck harness, ive heard pretty good things about that

Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juggernaut33 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Deadlifts and shrugs have added size to my neck.
    "Shut up and lift!"
    "Eat big to get big."
    "Deadlift and grow."
    'Train, Eat, Sleep."
    "Knowledge is power."
    "What does not kill you, will make you stronger."

Ergo sum fortissimus.

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Juggernaut33 View Post
    Deadlifts and shrugs have added size to my neck.
    Yeah, my neck has grown (as my dress shirts would testify to), and I never do direct neck work (I've never even seen anyone do any, come to think of it).
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kate~ View Post
    You still may not genetically get that thick neck..geeze..hope i don't
    You sound like my wife. She has threatened to pummel me if her frame becomes too "manly".

I'm thinking that a thick neck would fall within that category.
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GreyGeese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by Kate~ View Post
    Any exercise hitting the sternocleiomastoid muscle..

any and all trap exercises. You still may not genetically get that thick neck..geeze..hope i don't
    Clever trick photography! Putting those tiny dumbbells next to the Barbie doll makes her appear life-sized.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want direct neck work, and don't have a 4 way neck machine, a neck harness works the neck extensors very well. Bridging also works the neck extensors. That still leaves side flexion and flexion of the neck. "Back" bridging works the neck flexors statically. I've learned an exercise from Combat Conditioning that allows you to work extension flexion, extension, and lateral flexion. It's called the 4 Way Neck Exercise. You use your bodyweight as the resistance (unless you would purchase a weight vest). Four Way Neck Exercise. Get into a headstand position and bring your feet up against a wall. Your knees will be bent to a 45 degree angle. Start with right and left side flexions. Try to touch your right ear to the ground and then your left ear. You might not be able to get a full ROM due to flexibility issues or lack of strength. Increase range as you develop more flexibility or strength. Now go into neck flexions. Try to touch your nose to the ground. Same rules apply as earlier. Lastly, go into neck extensions and try to get your chin into your chest. I'm having you do this exercise from your weakest movement (side flexion) to your strongest (neck extension).
    Last edited by papi93; 06-07-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by papi93 View Post
    If you want direct neck work, and don't have a 4 way neck machine, a neck harness works the neck extensors very well. Bridging also works the neck extensors. Their still leave side flexion and flexion of the neck. "Back" bridging works the neck flexors statically. I've learned an exercise from Combat Conditioning that allows you to work extension flexion, extension, and lateral flexion. It's called the 4 Way Neck Exercise. You use your bodyweight as the resistance (unless you would purchase a weight vest). Four Way Neck Exercise. Get into a headstand position and bring your feet up against a wall. Your knees will be bent to a 45 degree angle. Start with right and left side flexions. Try to touch your right ear to the ground and then your left ear. You might not be able to get a full ROM due to flexibility issues or lack of strength. Increase range as you develop more flexibility or strength. Now go into neck flexions. Try to touch your nose to the ground. Same rules apply as earlier. Lastly, go into neck extensions and try to get your chin into your chest. I'm having you do this exercise from your weakest movement (side flexion) to your strongest (neck extension).

I roll to the sides on bridges and do front bridges.

Obviously work up to this.

No better exercise for neck size IMO and experience.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Thanks for the replies. I have had a go at the different forms of bridging suggested, but I have a very hard time doing any kind of bridging. What can I do to ease myself into being able to bridge?

or... should I just do as much of the neck bridges as i can without hurting myself, and pray that with time i will get betterand better until i can actually do them properly?

justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) justinluck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should start a poll asking which girls prefer.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by aatwo View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have had a go at the different forms of bridging suggested, but I have a very hard time doing any kind of bridging. What can I do to ease myself into being able to bridge?
    Strength will be developed with practice. Start doing them daily until you develop the strength to get into your desired ROM and rep range. Don't work to failure on a daily basis, though. Work at an intensity of about 50%. Overtime, the ROM and rep range will increase.

Ok I'll do that, thanks papi93.

Originally Posted by justinluck View Post
    You should start a poll asking which girls prefer.
    Choosing between a tree trunk neck and a skinny neck, I think most girls I know would definitely choose the tree trunk neck.

powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) powerviking has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hmmm, I guess having to stretch out the necks on my t-shirts isn't such a bad thing?