Registered User Travis Stenersn's Avatar
    Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

To: Francis Thomas; Hypertension and Weight training

I would make this a PM, but I figured everyone could chime in with experiences.

Hey Francis, hopefully you'll get this. I'm just writing this to ask how the blood pressure is doing.

You posted that high blood pressure thread a week or so ago and I said I would get back to you.

I want to know if you're still weight trianing, what your doctor told you about vigorous exercise(if he said anything) and if you want help writing up a program!

Anyway, I'll bump this until I get a PM from you or you reply here.

To others: Any of you guys hypertensive or have had success in treating your high blood pressure through weight training and aerobic exercise?

aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Travis,
    All I can say is those with elevated blood pressure have to be careful with some exercises. For example, the leg press can be very dangerous because of the angle of the body it has been shown to be one of the exercises that cause the highest rise in blood pressure. Also, many compound lifts automatically cause a valsalva maneuver which if not monitored carefully can be problematic. I think heavy weight training might be contraindicative because the body will have a natural tendency to perform the valsalva manuever and for obvious reasons could cause problems. Obviously this all depends upon the person's individual problem and what training they have been exposed to.

Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Travis Stenersn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Agreed..

I was going to suggest circuit weight training, with generally accepted safe maneuvers, keep around 50% 1RM and avoiding the Valsalva. That is, after the OK was given by a physician.

Would you suggest that hypertensive individuals avoid the squat and deadlift, even if loads are relatively light and breathing throughout is stressed?

aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aztman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Travis Stenersn
    Agreed..

I was going to suggest circuit weight training, with generally accepted safe maneuvers, keep around 50% 1RM and avoiding the Valsalva. That is, after the OK was given by a physician.

Would you suggest that hypertensive individuals avoid the squat and deadlift, even if loads are relatively light and breathing throughout is stressed?
    Hmmmm....the squat would seem a better exercise with lower intensities because I know it would be almost automatic to still use the valsalva maneuver. At the same time though if the loads are in the range you mentioned it might not be a problem at all. If this hypertension is able to rectified, which it should be, then all this would be useful and maybe cause an improvement in itself with diet changes.

Francis_Thomas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Travis, thanks.

Yea I went to the doctor and he said that I should stop weightlifting for a while. He said that I cannot lift heavy weights, and do exercises like bench press, deadlifts, and leg presses, etc.

Anyway, everything is ok. I think so.

I don't know, but I'll stop weightlifting for a while.

Will see how everything goes.

Thanks again both of ya azt and travis.
    Peace

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If the doctor said so, then do what he said.

Good luck!

Ahh, yeah, if he said to then you shouldn't lift weights.

Did he mention anything about aerobic training?

Jean Schernoff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Actually Thomas, cardio won't hurt you. Like Travis said, did the doc mention anything about aerobic training?

gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gthang1978 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have what is called "hypertrophic cardiomathapy" it's an enlargement of the valve, or valves of the heart. my doc says i developed it from over training. holyfield did the same thing. all though not very dangerous, doc said i should not lift heavy for chest, since the heart is a muscle,and will only worsen, if it keeps growing. i did end up with somewhat high blood pressure because of this 140-90. but lately i have done lots of cardio, and it is down to 128/70. in about 6 weeks. so cardio does make a big difference no matter who you are. doc says i'm fine can keep excecising, but i should just be careful!! thank gog i eat right!

Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Devin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well you gotta keep your excessive masterbating to a mininum also, remeber to not get that excited or your blood pressure will rise!
    "HEY MAN BACK OFF! I DIDN'T PHUCK YOUR GIRLFRIEND... SHE PHUCKED ME!!!

CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well 2 years ago i was a chubby 17 years old. I had high blood pressure (140/90) at the age of 17.... I decided to hit the gym, doing 3 sets of light exercises (15 reps), 30 mins of moderate cardio (65%) every day or every 2 days, and I managed to bring my pressure to 120/80 in 6 months.
    "Everything would have been geared for making my body able to withstand another small dose of iron on the bar for each exercise every week or two, even if it was just a few ounces. " -Stuart McRobert.

That's awesome CyberGod!

Devin, I don't think you have added anything intelligent since you came on this forum.

Francis,
    Cybergod's post reminded me of an important fact. How old are you? Since this is teen board I would guess somewhat young? It is very common to have teenagers to have elevated blood pressure and cholesterol. Truthfully it is nothing to freak out about, if you exercise and clean up your diet some this will quickly work itself out. About ten years ago I was diagnosed with the same problem and the doctor freaked out both myself and my parents. Through staying active everything improved and years later I find out it is a very common occurence.

Francis_Thomas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea, he said I can do cardiovascular exercises. But not too much.

I am 16 years old, btw.

Thanks for the posts. I will contact my doc tomorrow and see what his opinions are about light exercising, cleaning my diet up, etc

CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CyberGod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by aztman
    Through staying active everything improved and years later I find out it is a very common occurence.
    That is the best thing to do in life. I remember 2-3 years ago, watching TV, 1 liter of coca-cola in my right hand, a big bag of chips in my other hand. No wonder I was out of shape at such a young age.
    "Everything would have been geared for making my body able to withstand another small dose of iron on the bar for each exercise every week or two, even if it was just a few ounces. " -Stuart McRobert.

flamedragan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HI program help

Hi guys anyone can give me a few pointers for hypertension exercise a program I need as much info for school plz help as Im doing a school cousre where Im researching hypertension so anything helps and u can email me at flamebabe1@yahoo.com