TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Question Correct bicep curl form

I have read a few posts concerning bicep curls here stating that the elbow shouldn't come up more than 2-3 inches.

How many of you agree with this?

Does this apply to all types of bicep curl?

I have been told that I should left the elbow until the elbow almost points forward!

Maybe I've been doing them wrong

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Correct bicep curl form

Originally posted by TKD
    I have read a few posts concerning bicep curls here stating that the elbow shouldn't come up more than 2-3 inches.

How many of you agree with this?

Does this apply to all types of bicep curl?

I have been told that I should left the elbow until the elbow almost points forward!

Maybe I've been doing them wrong
    Definitely don't bring your elbows up to point forward! You'll knock yourself out Personally I prefer good form when dong curls. I like to act as if my elbows are attached to my sides and can hardly move at all. This way you can come all the way down and all the way up. If you allow yourself to swing your elbows up, then lots of people take a rest at the top of their curl. It's better to keep constant tension on the biceps. But, then again, some people enjoy doing 'power curls' where you tend to user more back and swing the elbows a little. It allows for more weight, but I personally don't care for that.

Hari K. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    standing in a neutral position you curl you arm up using bicep contraction to start the movement. Elbow should not move. Everyone telling you that it should is cheating and risking injury.

Your body should remain in the neutral position as you lift. Keep the abs tight to keep the core stable.

If your elbows move at all it is due to natural range of motion and shouldn't be anymore than an inch or so.
    Hari K.
    6'3" 241lbs BF-23.8%

"Don't give me this crap about "I can't do any more weight or I'll collapse"... add 5lbs and collapse then. When you get back up give me 10 reps"
    My training journal (new): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287773

ReYeM is a way of life, It's part of your being, It's a power you project
    and a strength you hold deep

Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/toddcurl.mpg
    Wow! I've been doing my curls totally wrong. My form has been awful. Are there more mpgs like that, that show proper form?

I've seen many that show you how to do an exercise, but not how to have proper form. I'll use this for my bicep workout in a couple of days.

Thx

Originally posted by Qu4rk
    Wow! I've been doing my curls totally wrong. My form has been awful. Are there more mpgs like that, that show proper form?

I've seen many that show you how to do an exercise, but not how to have proper form. I'll use this for my bicep workout in a couple of days.

Thx
    don't worry, most people in the gym have no clue what proper form even looks like; so now you're ages ahead of most

ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yea...using proper form usually requires less weight, but it feels wayyy better than throwing up 10lbs more in some sloppy-ass form.

Hari K. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by ViolatorJF
    Yea...using proper form usually requires less weight, but it feels wayyy better than throwing up 10lbs more in some sloppy-ass form.
    but I look so cool doing it.

Hari K.
    6'3" 241lbs BF-23.8%

"Don't give me this crap about "I can't do any more weight or I'll collapse"... add 5lbs and collapse then. When you get back up give me 10 reps"
    My training journal (new): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287773

ReYeM is a way of life, It's part of your being, It's a power you project
    and a strength you hold deep

Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Qu4rk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    don't worry, most people in the gym have no clue what proper form even looks like; so now you're ages ahead of most
    Hyp3r, was that mpeg like an only one. Seriously, I need that for like all the exercises in my workout. Since arm's is the thread, here is my arms exercies:

EZ BB curls
    Hammer curls (never done these, next workout will be a first)
    Low Incline (<=30) DB curls (never done these either)

Better, yet are there any good threads on form for other exercises & body parts.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    keeping your elbows still for curls and doing them properly is awesome. you can literally blast your bis sooooo much better than your buddy moving his elbows so much. get your friend to try it out. he will probably have to drop the weight so much he will hate it and be in denial and end up swinging again

TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Wink

What about sitting incline db curls for the long head should these also be done the same with no elbow movement?

I haven't actually been swinging the weights.I always use a fairly controlled action throughout.
    My instructor told me that the elbow should lift at the end of the movement!
    I guess he was wrong again

Have you got anymore of those video files Hyp3?
    I think proper form mean everything, so it would be nice to see more of those Where did you get them from?

So what about those incline db curls then.........

Originally posted by TKD
    What about sitting incline db curls for the long head should these also be done the same with no elbow movement?

I haven't actually been swinging the weights.I always use a fairly controlled action throughout.

I think proper form mean everything, so it would be nice to see more of those Where did you get them from?

Was that clip not awesome or what?

I don't know how to do incline DB's or hammers, properly at least.

Found it.

Originally posted by Hari K.
    Your arm should remain straight through the whole movement. Bending should happen at the elbow and should be initiated by a contraction in the bicep.

Swinging the weight up, doing a partial rep (not going down all the way), or leaning your upper body forward or back is cheating.

The bicep muscle has an insertion angle of 30%. If you can measure a torso lean of 30% to the left or the right when you do your rep you can lean that way. Most people avoid doing this because it's hard to judge the right distance and over estimating the angle can accually put the delt into more use.

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/toddo.htm

Has some good movies on how to use proper form.

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Definitely keep your elbows and shoulders still, but moving your elbows a little forward before you start can have some benefits. One is that it can keep you from resting the bar on your thighs after each rep, thus taking the tension off the muscles. I'll let Gunter Schlierkamp explain the second point, this is from the June 2004 Flex, "Charles [Glass] wants me to keep my elbows a little forward, so my arms are in front of my body. That way you avoid swinging the bar. I don't focus on the weight. I focus only on keeping strict form and moving just my forearms. Strict barbell curls like that really make you feel the burn. The heat in my bis can be incredible by the time I finish a set."

Originally posted by TKD

on incline you want to imagine elbows are fixed at some point on the ground and don't deviate from it (i.e., moving forward and up and away and whatnot).

Just put that to use on my arms workout today.

Thanks guys for the help again - most helpfull.

Originally posted by TKD
    Thanks guys for the help again - most helpfull.