Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10)

CONFUSED - Less carbs or less fat?

I am trying to put together a diet plan and am confused by conflicting theories. I am trying to lose weight --- not bulk up. I thought the ckd was the right one and watching my carb intake, but I read of others who say watch the fat more. I understand that I have to watch all of it.

The problem is ckd says: figure protein, keep carbs low, and the rest is fat cals. (carb up on weekend)

Others say: figure protein, rest is carbs, keep off the fat except for small amounts of EFA.

Maybe I am doing too much research and just need to pick one or the other, but I would like the best one. Can someone sort this out for me? Thanks alot.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 07-21-2004 at 08:02 AM.

marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) marcFE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There really is no right answer to this is comes down to the therodynamics of the body and insulin sensitivty/activity.

Carbs = energy, but unburned energy = fat so in the end to many carbs can be bad, however, the same can happen with excess dietary fat (however, dietary fat promotes lipylosis so it has its uses and is necessary to fat loss)

Some people respond better to carbs and tend to burn them as they consume them while if they consume alot of fat they bloat up/store fat fast while others can consume 10G of carbs and have issues it depends from person to person and has alot to do with activity. Since some people are more active then others they naturally require more calories most of which should come from carbs to compensate for the expended energy.

Pretty much, determine your own intake personally because everyone is different just remember, carbs are essential if you are active and the more active you are the more carbs you are going to need so don't just go and eliminate them. But in the same way dietary fat is essential to promote lipylosis and in the end burn fat.

(this is why most people reccomend starting with a 40/40/20 P/C/F diet or sometimes 30/30/40 C/F/P diet, since they are easy to adjust to your personal needs)

Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cruiser is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That helps some --- Thanks.

Another question --- I lift 4 times a week and try to go to depletion. When adjusting my diet, how do I know which to adjust --- carbs or fat?

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Cruiser
    Another question --- I lift 4 times a week and try to go to depletion. When adjusting my diet, how do I know which to adjust --- carbs or fat?
    Really, it's trial and error. If something is working, don't fix it. If it isn't working, change it.

40c/40p/20f, is that I would call a low/moderate carb diet. It should work well for anyone who is insuline sensitive as long as those carbs are coming from mostly complex sources.

If you are going to do CKD avoid overeating protein and stay clear of saturated fats.

benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benca1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've tried everything, and I'm convinced that each individual can only do their research and try out different paths. My wife and I love food, she's a trained Chef, and I've taught bbq classes! We drink a lot too, so there's a certain amont of emotional pain that comes from restrictive diet.

However.. I've gone from a 38 inch waist to a 34 inch waist, but gained weight.. 12 lbs over and above the weight loss doing my own thing which is... <drumroll>:

40p/30c/30f

That seems to be the best for me so long as I keep it under 2500 calories. I center my carb intake before and after my workouts, and otherwise keep them low the rest of the day.

This sort of moderation has allowed me to drink some, eat home made ice cream on occasion, and grill most everyday with homemade bbq sauces and still pack on muscle and lose fat.

I just split the difference between carb intake and fat intake, between when I'm active and when I'm inactive. I easily get 1.25 grams of protein per lb as well.

fwiw