min7b5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Analyze My Plan (Long Post)

So I'm a 41 year old newb, though I did lift for a while about eight years ago. I would say I'm naturally a pretty strong looking person, but at 6' 2" and 240 pounds, I'm clearly at least forty pounds over weight, most of that being belly fat.

So I've been lurking and learning here for a month. I got a Body Solid power rack, bench, and bar, and have been lifting for two weeks, and loving it. So my goal, obviously, is to get strong and lean. One issue for me is that my back is very prone to pretty bad spasms. I'm sure as the weight comes off and I get stronger that'll improve, but I think it'll always be a concern to some extent.

My training split is looking like this

Day one: Flat bench press, seated shoulder press, crunches

Day two Squats, *rows, barbell curl, *hanging leg raises

Day three: Rest

Repeat

My thinking is that I'm working each part approx. 2.5 times a week, though possibly just twice, as I have it in my mind that I might add an extra day of rest here and there if I need it or I'm traveling. I guess I'm thinking that after a few months, when I have better technique and I'm lifting more weight, I'll cut back on frequency.

For each body part I'm only doing just one exercise, as I'm trying to keep this short and simple. For each exercise I'm doing a light warm up set (just the bar), another warm up of about half of my working set, and then finally three sets of appox 6 reps. I'm either failing on the 6th rep, or more often, very very close to failing.

*Rows are problem. Even with light weight, practicing bent over rows or Pendelays (sp?), etc, has my back problem threatening. I think in a perfect world I'd do pullups for my back, but I'm just too heavy right now. So what I've been doing is laying face down on a incline bench and pulling the bar up to me.. it works "ok".

I'm doing the shoulder presses seated because standing has my back threatening. When seated I'm not worried about it, so I can go heavier.

I'm doing the crunches with a 10 pound plate behind my head. I've been doing those in pretty slow motion and really feeling it.

*I ordered a pair of slings to do hanging leg raises too. Should I put them on the same day as crunches? Or spread my ab work over four days?

Squats scare me a bit, but after all the reading I've done this forum, I'm convinced that they're going to the bedrock of my plan. So I'm going light and slow (100#), though still pretty close to failing on rep six.

I'm not currently doing any serious cardio, but I do walk about a half hour a day.

As for diet, I do, perhaps not too surprisingly, tend to overeat. I've always ate pretty healthy, and I know a lot about and enjoy cooking.... but I can really put it away sometimes.... so right now I'm just trying to be conscious of that.

For the last two weeks I've been shooting for cutting out most, if not all, sugar and white carbs, and I'm eating lots of lean protein via egg whites, non-fat milk, skinless chicken, tuna, ottage cheese, etc. I'm also taking whey protein shakes on lift days and protein bars every day. I also ordered some creatine.....

I do really like to drink, so that's probably giving me a lot of extra calories. I would say I average two glasses of red wine a night. Maybe once a week I'll just have one, but maybe once a week (Saturday nights maybe) I'll have four... and maybe once a week I'll have two or three pints of IPA at the pub instead of wine.... but I'm definitely averaging two+ drinks per day.
    Last edited by min7b5; 06-05-2007 at 01:15 PM.

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
    My training split is looking like this

Day one: Flat bench press, seated shoulder press, crunches

Day two Squats, *rows, barbell curl, *hanging leg raises

Day three: Rest

Repeat

My thinking is that I'm working each part approx. 2.5 times a week, though possibly just twice, as I have it in my mind that I might add an extra day of rest here and there if I need it or I'm traveling. I guess I'm thinking that after a few months, when I have better technique and I'm lifting more weight, I'll cut back on frequency.
    Remember that you build lean mass while resting, not while lifting. This is probably too many times per week to be hitting specific body parts.

You'd probably also be better off having the rest day in between the workouts, since you're hitting your upper body and abs in both of them. Seems that there's overlap for your shoulders here.

*Rows are problem. Even with light weight, practicing bent over rows or Pendelays (sp?), etc, has my back problem threatening. I think in a perfect world I'd do pullups for my back, but I'm just too heavy right now. So what I've been doing is laying face down on a incline bench and pulling the bar up to me.. it works "ok".
    What about angled pullups, with feet supported? You can approximate the move and take some of your body weight out of the equation that way.

*I ordered a pair of slings to do hanging leg raises too. Should I put them on the same day as crunches? Or spread my ab work over four days?
    Two schools of thought here. I only hit abs once a week, like any other body part.

I'm not currently doing any serious cardio, but I do walk about a half hour a day.
    This is good, if it's continuous, brisk walking.

protein bars every day.
    No; bad. Too much sugar. Only occasionally, as a cheat.

I do really like to drink, so that's probably giving me a lot of extra calories. I would say I average two glasses of red wine a night. Maybe once a week I'll just have one, but maybe once a week (Saturday nights maybe) I'll have four... and maybe once a week I'll have two or three pints of IPA at the pub instead of wine.... but I'm definitely averaging two+ drinks per day.
    And it's killing your weight loss effort. Way too much, too often. Sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Oh, man, no wine tonight... I think I can I think I can.....

Good point about the protein bars, I just noticed they?re 300 calories a pop. So sticking to whey shakes is probably the way to go.

I think I will trying a day in-between. I actually feel a little nauseous from this morning's workout

?...angled pullups, with feet supported? can?t a visualize that, but it sounds like a good idea... I?ll google it.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can add exercises and strengthen your back as you go. For example, you can add GM's (Good Mornings), at first w. just the bar, and then with a couple small plates.

Leg raises can be done on the floor, or on any bench where you can reach above and behind your head and grasp the two edges of the bench w. your hands for stability.

Trunk stability exercises are a good way of avoiding back problems.
    I would do core and trunk about every other day you work out, but in the beginning, it does not matter as much because you are not exhausting the muscles completely. I would also add twists with a stick or just the bar, and side bends w. one hand behind the head and the other holding a small weight plate (or DB if you have them). Even a 10-lb plate makes a difference.

A couple 5- or 10-lb plates can be used for front and side delt raises instead of DB's, after that the grip usually gives out and you have to use DB's.

Snatches are a good whole body exercise, starting with just the bar below knee level and with knees slightly bent, and bringing it all the way up above the head to a straight arm position like a Military Press. If you don't like doing cardio, alternating sets of Snatches, GM's, deep squats with bar only (no plates) with little break between sets is a decent substitute.

However, the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to get the diet under control. If you like to cook, it is actually an advantage, because you can decide what to make more easily than trying to guess how many calories are in a carry-out. When I train, I prepare most of my own food. Not all of it is actually cooked, but I have a pretty good idea what I am eating, and how much. That way you also don't have to rely on burned fat and sugar to add taste to meals.

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How big is your wine glass? <Chuckle>

The trouble w. alcohol is that it messes with the metabolism, often at a time when you want it to be working to support your exercise routine, but in general one glass won't do any harm if not in proximity to a workout.

Personally, I like wine. I try to keep my consumption to 4-6 oz max, not on a daily basis, and allow at least two small meals between that and the next workout, or one meal after a workout.

The 2-3 pints of ale is more of a problem, IMHO.

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

It takes some discipline. I had to give up quite a few things that I really enjoyed when I needed to lose weight a few years ago. You just have to get yourself into a different frame of mind about your daily intake.

Good point about the protein bars, I just noticed they?re 300 calories a pop. So sticking to whey shakes is probably the way to go.
    "Net carbs" and "Zero impact carbs" are supplement industry market-speak. Sugar is sugar. Nothing wrong with having them occasionally, just not too often if you're cutting or losing weight.

I think I will trying a day in-between. I actually feel a little nauseous from this morning's workout
    Rule of thumb is 48-72 hours recovery time for any given body part.

?...angled pullups, with feet supported? can?t a visualize that, but it sounds like a good idea... I?ll google it.
    This is along the lines of what I was thinking, only with feet on the floor instead of a bench:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...SupineRow.html

You'd be pulling a portion of your body weight up at an angle, but it would approximate a rowing move and at least get you started...

Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Islandtroll has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First of all, congratulations for beginning your new life

Let me jump right in and say one of the most important abilities you want to develop in your first year of bodybuilding is knowing your own body. Everyone is different, the key to consistent gains is knowing how your own body reacts. Not just to your workout program, but diet, and rest too.

Next don't forget about good form. One of the hardest things for me was checking my ego at the door and picking up weights that I could control. Remember you are in this for the long hall, good form pays off big, because of less injuries. Does this mean don't lift heavy? No way! Just work up to it with proper form.

If you do get injured, again listen to your body, you will be surprised at what it can tell you.

Oh! And drink LOTS of water

Good luck!
    You can't have rainbows, without a little rain.

Lot's of great advice from all. Thanks

Originally Posted by stahlhart View Post
    This is along the lines of what I was thinking, only with feet on the floor instead of a bench:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...SupineRow.html You'd be pulling a portion of your body weight up at an angle, but it would approximate a rowing move and at least get you started...
    Awsome! I would never have thought of that.