UnknownWarrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Left Shoulder Hurts when doing Pull-ups?

well this never happened before...but my shoulders been hurting when doing wide-grip pull-ups...specifically my left shoulder...like when i go down my left shoulder would pop and have this small pain hit me...

so i just ignored it and kept on going but as i kept on going it would still pop and hurt...and i've been breathing right...cuz the way i do wide-grip pullups is that i go all the way down and pullup and keep on going...the sound of the pop is like popping your knuckles ,but just one big pop...i also stretch before doing anything...i can also do close-grip pullups easily but when i do wide-grip i have trouble...

i think this is affecting me because my right lat is bigger than my left lat...

Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pounderr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my left shoulder really bothers me when I swing a bat..i've always listened to my body and if it hurt then I say don't do it..find something else to work the lats or you may end up with some complications later on..there's no point to working out to be strong and having a bum shoulder in a years time...
    One day at a time..

SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000) SuperDavid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I got clicking and a small amount of pain in my right shoulder doing wide grip pull ups...I just keep the grip fairly close together and that stops the clicking.

DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    try going a little narrower, oe switch to chins for a while. Chin-ups seem more natural for many people. They will still work your lats etc. despite relying on your biceps a lot more.

tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yea same thing happened to me. except my right shoulder used to hurt when doing wide grip. i narrowed my grip to shoulder width and it seems fine since. make sure you foam roll your lats a lot, it helps so much.
    "Lift big weight, eat much food" - W8

^ what do you mean by "foam roll your lats"?

ok i just noticed something....when i did wide-grip pullups just today, i noticed that it wouldn't hurt if i didn't go all the way down...so yeah if i don't go all the way down does it still workout the lats?

tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    use a foam roller and apply it to your lats...
    "Lift big weight, eat much food" - W8

Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000) Dwizzo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, wide grip is actually bad for most people's shoulders... Just take a narrower grip...

The best is chin-ups with a normal shoulder-width or slightly narrower grip... Do that for a month or two and your shoulder pain should completely go away...

Good luck!
    Current goal: 100lb Weighted Chin (@ 90lb now) & 150lb Weighted Dips (@ 105lb now)

My Youtube videos: www.youtube.com/user/dcdwizzo
    _
    MY JOURNAL:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=81103433

McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50) McCrack will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    a lot of people i see in the gym use ****ty form in their pullups and roll their shoulders forwards at the top because this makes it easietr to finish the rep. Make sure to keep your shoulders back and squeeze your shoulder blades down and together as you do your pullup. This will keep stress on lats and off rotator cuff.

Edit:
    Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
    ok i just noticed something....when i did wide-grip pullups just today, i noticed that it wouldn't hurt if i didn't go all the way down...so yeah if i don't go all the way down does it still workout the lats?
    yep its at the last part of the rep that most ppl lose their form. go all the way down, but careful with the form. still works out the lats, but full ROM is always best
    Last edited by McCrack; 06-05-2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Weight: 185
    Max Bench: 275
    Deadlift: 385
    Squat (ATG): 345

what is the difference with the chin-ups and wide-grip pullups? also for chin-ups the palms are away from you right?

thanks for the helps guys...appreciate it

sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sansteth has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Snapping Scapula Syndrome

I have the same problem except with my right shoulder and cannot do lat pulldowns. You should get this checked out because you may have Snapping Scapula Syndrome. Look it up because you do not want to make it worse.

TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000) TrollKilla is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Try neutral/hammer grip chins (palms facing each other) or regular chins as suggested. My gym has close grip pull up handles and i prefer theses to wide grip.