fattycf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to bodybuilding--workout/diet/bulking questions

I'm experienced in lifting weights, but i'm new to bodybuilding, and i have a couple of questions.

1)WORKOUT PROGRAM--I know there is probably not one best way, but from you experienced bodybuilders what would you suggest as far as a workout program goes (how many sets, reps) to get the best gains in mass?

2)If I do chest and tris on Monday, can (should) i do it again on Thursday, or should i only do it once a week?

3)DIET--If somebody could give me an example of their diet or a suggestion of a diet (i'm 5'8 160) when BULKING that would be great.
    4)How long does a bulking phase typically last?
    5)Any help on getting me started would be great! Thanks!

Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nayl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bulk until you're as big as you want to be or you have a contest to go to. Then you cut down and rip up.

There are as many different diets out there as there are people, so I'll leave that up to you. Do your own research and reading. See what works for you. Some plans may be better than others but they may also cause you problems like gas, water retention, constipation, indigestion, rapid weight gain, muscle loss, or just make you poor.

Most people starting out can add lean muscle mass. This means maintaining or lowering BF% while increasing mass. There is a point though when the weights get very heavy, the sessions get longer, and you just can't add any more size unless you increase calories to insane amounts. At this point you are in a bulking phase.

As for most amatuers, they can always be in a lean mass phase. Eat clean, healthy, whole foods and workout hard.
    --Nayl

*If you stop growing, increase intensity and increase rest*

Intensity (in-ten'-si-tee):

"1..2..3..4..4-and-a-half..it's not moving..keep pushing for a few seconds..seems like forever..spotter assists..control negative on my own for 6 seconds..pushing..it's not moving at all now..spotter assists..control negative for 5 seconds..negative only held for 4 seconds..trying another one..can't control weight anymore..spotter helps remove weight..set complete."

rzacharia21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To answer some of your inquiries about bulking and what program you should take on during this phase, here are some things that have worked for me thus far. Granted, I am 6'3 and I don't gain mass as fast as others, but you have to remain persistent. During bulking, there needs to be a higher emphasis on your eating as opposed to your lifts in my opinion. You are obviously going to the gym and pounding your muscles at a level where they will grow if you are maintaining a caloric surplus throughout your day. The best way to bulk is to get in about 6-7 good size, whole meals. I find myself eating about every two hours during the day, starting with 2-3 slices of whole wheat with 4-5 tablespoons of natural PB right as I wake and usually eat some sort of fruit with this. Get your sugars in early in the day so you can use them effectively when lifting and they don't interfere with your lean mass gains. In about 2 hours, make yourself 6-8 eggs with some sort of lean protein meat source and add in another slice or two of bread. Usually, I get in some sort of protein fruit shake with a scoop of whey, a banana, 2 tablespoons of flax seeds, a few strawberries, 1/2 cup of milk, and yogurt. Then before you hit the gym, eat a sandwich with lean turkey and some oatmeal (great pre-workout meal due to slow dissolving carbs, giving you lasting energy throughout the lifts). Eat an apple or piece of fruit right before you lift for that quick sugar/fast carbs, lift for no longer than 1 hour to 1 hour and a half, and then get your protein shake right after with whatever source (water, milk, etc.). Remember to get it in within the 30-45 min protein window so your body absorbs as much protein as possible. I usually eat a box of raisins for a good carb source after my lift along with my post workout shake. Then go home, prep some chicken breasts, a cup or two of brown rice, and a nice side of veggies. Enjoy that, then make yourself some steak/fish later with another veggie source. If you want, you can fit in another chicken breast meal/sandwich of turkey, lettuce, tomato, cheese later on in the night for some extra food. Right before bed, I usually eat a half a cup of cottage cheese with 16-20 oz. of milk with a scoop and a 1/4 of casein, and a 1 tbps of PB. Good fat and slow dissolving protein right before bed keeps me good for the hours I sleep and I repeat this. My calories will be higher than you of course due to me being naturally larger, so adjust accordingly so you are eating more than your maintenance (I'd say get about 5500-6000 calories in). Exercises are a whole different animal during bulking, but to me, as long as you are eating and getting in the gym, you will see gains during your bulking phase regardless because you are not only gaining size, but subsequently gaining strength with your size and will push more weight as a result.