Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000)

EZ bar vs. Straight bar -- for bicep curls

Which bar do you guys think is more effective to for doing bicep curls, the EZ bar or the regular straight bar?
    Pyramid Paradigm?

http://www.jackherer.com/ Prove Jack Herer wrong and get $100,000.

ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ViolatorJF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Whichever allows for more overload. Using a barbell to do curls hurts some people's wrists, so sometimes a curl bar can help with that. Some people don't like the position that a curl bar makes you use. So basically, do the one you like more...or if you like them both, then alternate.

John AK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    EZ bar please. Much more wrist friendly.
    5'10"
    160 lbs

Bench 210x1
    Squat 315x1
    Deadlift 350x1
    Total 875

Don't need no straps, no supplements,
    no chalk, no gloves, no goddam juice.
    Real men lift and eat, period.
    Form is life.

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I prefere the bb myself...

the ezbar makes it way to similar to hammer curls.

besides I don't get any wrist discomfort when curling. Considering my rom ends when my biceps touch my forearms. Not to my chin lol
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

darkcrayz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkcrayz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkcrayz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a study done in muscular development found that the bicep is worked the same by either bar, it is just the personal preference for your wrists. I prefer the barbell for curls, and the ez bar for reverse curls. the barbell used to hurt my wrists but I did alot of grip work with the little vices you can squeeze, and that allievated the pain. I dont like the barbell for my reverse though because it puts my wrist at a completely awkward angle, so for the reverse I use the ezbar. also, for either curls or reverse I have my hands shoulder width apart, so the heads are built up equally.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no signifigant difference

OriginalAndrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    While we're on the subject of EZ bars. When doing preacher curls what difference does holding the bar inside vs out produce?
    In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should automatically disquality you...

Originally posted by OriginalAndrew
    While we're on the subject of EZ bars. When doing preacher curls what difference does holding the bar inside vs out produce?
    ???inside outside???

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    EZ bar for me.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

OriginalAndrew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    ???inside outside???
    Like holding the EZ bar on the inside of the bend, or the outside of the bend.
    In weightlifting, I don't think sudden, uncontrolled urination should automatically disquality you...

pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i like the ezbar better. I can do more weight with the bb but it hurts my wrists too much.
    ''You can either feel the pain of discipline or feel the pain of regret. The choice is yours.'' - Jim Rohn

-US ARMY-

delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000) delta9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I see, so there was no difference. I prefer using straight bar for curls and I also like to do reverse curls with the EZ bar.
    Andrew I'll haven't really thought of that, I'll try it thusrsday when I do arms.

When you do squats are your toes suppose to point forward or outward? When I do squats with my toes pointing forward it works out my hams more than my quads but when I do it with my toes outward it works out my quads more. Which is the correct way? is doing squats with toes straight ahead a good way to work out my hams? Sorry of the newbish off-topic question guys.
    Pyramid Paradigm?

http://www.jackherer.com/ Prove Jack Herer wrong and get $100,000.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i mix it up from time to time but mostly use the straight bar

Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Love the EZ curl, a lot more comfortable.

Originally posted by delta9
    I see, so there was no difference. I prefer using straight bar for curls and I also like to do reverse curls with the EZ bar.
    Andrew I'll haven't really thought of that, I'll try it thusrsday when I do arms.

When you do squats are your toes suppose to point forward or outward? When I do squats with my toes pointing forward it works out my hams more than my quads but when I do it with my toes outward it works out my quads more. Which is the correct way? is doing squats with toes straight ahead a good way to work out my hams? Sorry of the newbish off-topic question guys.
    don't do reverse curls, good way to injuring your forearm.

vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vwnj136 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use both...the BB hurts my wrists when i use a very wide grip.

ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    BB hurts my wrists too much. I go with the EZ-bar for that and for close grip bench press.

In reference to the "inside/outside"question: I did EZ-bar curls once gripping the inside and the muscle on the top and to the outside of my elbows was sore as hell the next few days. It's hard to describe where - other than the top and outside of my elbow.

AtrusDent has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the most awesome EZ bar, since it's got this thing in the middle that allows you to do Tricep pushdowns.
    Cheeky cheeky non?

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Both are great. In the latest Flex, Ronnie Coleman says the straight bar hits the inner heads and peaks more, while the EZ bar emphasizes the outer heads and the brachialis. Makes sense. Poppa's Dungeon says never use the EZ for curls because you can't supinate your wrists, but if supination is the key point, why use a BB at all when you can supinate much more fully with a dumbbell? Bodybuilding is about variety, so I say unless you have some injury concern, mix it up and use both.

Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ez bar brings brachialis slightly into the picture...it's halfway to a hammer curl

bar bell can help you to keep your elbows in if you have a problem with them flaring out
    Fatloss thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311486
    Fatloss post with attached diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=657290963&postcount=117

Originally posted by FarEastBeast
    Both are great. In the latest Flex, Ronnie Coleman says the straight bar hits the inner heads and peaks more, while the EZ bar emphasizes the outer heads and the brachialis. Makes sense.
    *sigh* no it doesn't make sense according to basic phsyiology. you cna't hit the 'inner head' or make it peak more doing exercise a or b or c.

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well, I'll take 25-plus years of in-the-trenches experience and six Mr. Olympias over your -sigh- anyday. Added to which your "basic physiology" remark just isn't saying anything. Do you mean to say that, for instance, a regular curl and a reverse curl work the muscles in exactly the same way? How about dumbbells vs. barbells? Please give more than a -sigh- and a sciencey retort.

Well, I'll take 25-plus years of in-the-trenches experience and six Mr. Olympias over your -sigh- anyday. Added to which your "basic physiology" remark just isn't saying anything. Do you mean to say that, for instance, a regular curl and a reverse curl work the muscles in exactly the same way? How about dumbbells vs. barbells? Please give more than a -sigh- and a sciencey retort.
    you can't isolate 1 part of the muscle.and there's no such thing as a peak-building exercise. that's 110% genetic.

Luther1921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    you can't isolate 1 part of the muscle.and there's no such thing as a peak-building exercise. that's 110% genetic.
    Maybe not isolate, but doing preacher curls with hands closer together puts more stress on the outside of the biceps and curls with hand farther out places more stress on the inside of the biceps. It makes sense to me that more muscle fibers will be broken down where there is more stress.

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Both are great. In the latest Flex, Ronnie Coleman says the straight bar hits the inner heads and peaks more, while the EZ bar emphasizes the outer heads and the brachialis. Makes sense. Poppa's Dungeon says never use the EZ for curls because you can't supinate your wrists, but if supination is the key point, why use a BB at all when you can supinate much more fully with a dumbbell? Bodybuilding is about variety, so I say unless you have some injury concern, mix it up and use both.
    ********AUTOMATED BICEP PEAK MYTH RESPONSE********

You cannot train the bicep to develop an Arnold-style peak. You either have the genetics for it.....or you don't.

Genetics are unquestionably important, but are also used as an excuse not to try to overcome weak points. Arguing about whether or not you can train for a certain type of biceps peak strays us from the original question, which was EZ vs. straight bar for curls. I stand by my original point that variety is key in bodybuilding, so using both bars makes a lot of sense.

jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can increase the size of your peak but you can't change it's shape. Obviously, the bigger your biceps are, the bigger the peak. And building the brachialis which lies underneath the biceps will push the biceps higher resulting in a higher peak. But as far as making your peak "rounder" or giving it that "tennis ball" look, it's not going to happen...
    Last edited by jino; 07-16-2004 at 12:30 AM.

phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    why do people even bother with bicep/forearm exercises.....all it leads to is wrist and forearm injuries....one of which im nursing right now..havent touched a weight for 2 weeks...

both forearms and biceps respond well to heavy back work...why bother isolating these small muscle groups when more often than not you will end up with A. injuries or B. overtraining

chionardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    phundi, what in the blue hell are you talkin about fool? Not doing any bicep exercises? "why bother isolating these small muscle groups when more often than not you will end up with A. injuries or B. overtraining" CRAP. This site is called BODYBUILDING.com not FITNESS.com or some shizzle like that, bodybuilders need to train their biceps and forearms or they'll look out of proportion. Someone else please tell this fool!

phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) phundi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    look at big ole ronnie...he hardly ever trains his biceps or forearms...and he is ****in monstrous