Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shakes at night

Protein shakes are popular at night for many people I understand. We all need a source of protein while we sleep. For some reason I have a problem with protein shakes at night. Typically I go to bed at 11 PM or so. If I have a protein drink less than 2 hours before bed I get insomnia and can't fall asleep till like 2 AM!!!! Same thing with protein bars for me. I use ON 100% gold standard whey, I have used met-rx, EAS, and twinlab whey in the past, all did the same thing! Does anybody else have this problem?

shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaawn! is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    normally when I take my protein shake at night (ON 100% Whey) with skim milk, it helps knock me right out!!

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile I like casein shakes at night . . .

I either use a shake made w/ milk that is str8 casein or a protein powder that is mainly casein . . . never have a problem going 2 sleep.
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Riel28 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Eric5504 View Post
    Protein shakes are popular at night for many people I understand. We all need a source of protein while we sleep. For some reason I have a problem with protein shakes at night. Typically I go to bed at 11 PM or so. If I have a protein drink less than 2 hours before bed I get insomnia and can't fall asleep till like 2 AM!!!! Same thing with protein bars for me. I use ON 100% gold standard whey, I have used met-rx, EAS, and twinlab whey in the past, all did the same thing! Does anybody else have this problem?
    You might possibly have a problem digesting it which is why it takes you so long to get to sleep. Also i'd reccomend getting some sort of casein protein along with the whey cuz they whey protein wont b available throughout the night

I would recommend milk as it is 80% casein 20% whey (not 100% positive on those numbers) but do to most ppl having allergic reactions i cant do that - Why not just grab some pb and cottage cheese before bed which is what most people do
    "Take from them everything - but give them nothing"

tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've had some that made me do the same thing but, IMO, Ergopharm's Mass Meal when taken with fat-free milk (Lactaid for me) puts me right to sleep.

Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eric5504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'll give it a shot

I'll give the casein protein a shot at night. Next time I order supplements it'll be on the list, until then it'll be whole foods.

c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c10d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Eric5504 View Post
    I have the same problem.

Protein tends to make me more alert and focused, whereas complex carbs tend to knock me out.

That's why I don't eat a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast like most people on the boards do; I'd be right back in bed.

-c10

jonny767 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if u are using chocolate flavour it will have some stimulant effect, and although minor could play a role, especially as u have it in your head now and you're thinking about it! try vanilla or something, and see if that help, or unflavoured powder with some milk maybe. hope this helps pal.
    Jonny

jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    add some almond meal or eat some almonds with your protein at night...almonds are one of the natural sleep inducing foods and healthy fats at night along with protein (switch to casein or meat instead of whey protein b/c whey digests fast and u want slow digestion at nite) are highly recommended for bodybuiliders
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus