Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stats: 5'11", 172 lbs
    BodyPoints: 43125
    rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) rude boy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit rude boy's BodySpace

pull-ups every day = bad?

i have a pull-up bar in my doorway and i like to do a set or 2 or 3 every day just to get my rep numbers up. will this halt any progress in gaining mass in my back and biceps? cause i still do pull-ups even on my off days when i'm supposed to be recovering

Stats: 5'8", 187 lbs
    BodyPoints: 22619
    TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TheDeepBlue's BodySpace
    yeah probably.

unless its really low intensity

if its high intensity its probably the most retarded thing you could do
    If your worried about the way you look, try to remember your probably fatter than you think. Maybe you should consider an eating disorder.

Next time your feeling sad and depressed, remember no one likes an emo.

For tax reasons and centrelink benefits, I'm an unemployed quadraplegic.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    |I REP BACK 2K+|
    //////////////////////

BodyPoints: 30344
    GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GoJu has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit GoJu's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    i have a pull-up bar in my doorway and i like to do a set or 2 or 3 every day just to get my rep numbers up. will this halt any progress in gaining mass in my back and biceps? cause i still do pull-ups even on my off days when i'm supposed to be recovering
    it's not bad AT ALL, using a rep target type of training system you could say you wanted to do maybe 50 pullups in one day, everytime you walk into that room you could do sets and reps until you hit that number, the next day aim for more reps,, and again and again and again, eventually you'll have reached such a number of reps (like 100+) through so many sets and reps that your number of reps for one set will be a prety big number (maybe 15-20+), this is a great training technique described in Pavel Tsatsouline's book The Naked Warrior called greasing the groove, will skyrocket your progress.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Stats: 6'0", 198 lbs
    BodyPoints: 13648
    Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Thunderjason is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Thunderjason's BodySpace
    Won't do you any harm.

I do about 4 sets of pullups on my door ledge everyday.

Stats: 5'8", 187 lbs
    BodyPoints: 22619
    TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheDeepBlue has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TheDeepBlue's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    it's not bad AT ALL, using a rep target type of training system you could say you wanted to do maybe 50 pullups in one day, everytime you walk into that room you could do sets and reps until you hit that number, the next day aim for more reps,, and again and again and again, eventually you'll have reached such a number of reps (like 100+) through so many sets and reps that your number of reps for one set will be a prety big number (maybe 15-20+), this is a great training technique described in Pavel Tsatsouline's book The Naked Warrior called greasing the groove, will skyrocket your progress.
    i dont think that was the question
    the question "is it okay to do it everyday?"
    the answer
    low intenisty = ok
    high intensity = bad

if he's doing high intensity going to failure or near failure every set then he will be overloading his CNS with rate coding.
    Doing them everyday by themselves alone is bad enough. If he does them within 48hours of any high intensity work of his lats and biceps he is only compounding the problem.
    Although the biceps/brachialis is a small muscle group and commonly use to frequent(too frequent) training, it is not so prone to over training, this is not to say you cant though, infact it is still quiet easy. However the lats are a much larger muscle and usual not conditioned as well as the arms.
    You could then argue that most people use their arms a lot more then their lats when performing a chin up and so their arms will fail alot sooner then their lats will so will not experience such a high neural load stopping them from being over trained. But then in saying this you are completely ignoring the fact that they are still experiencing high rate coding as well as the fact the CNS is interconnected and as a whole does require rest.
    If he is doing wide grip chins then he is also using his pec major as a prime mover in the ROM between where his upper arms are above parallel.......

simply....
    depending on intensity and form, your not just probably over training your arms and your lats, but also your chest, pretty much your whole upper body. So dont be surprised if all of your lifts involving your upper body are either very minimal, non existent or negative.

feel free to argue me on this, this is just my opinion
    If your worried about the way you look, try to remember your probably fatter than you think. Maybe you should consider an eating disorder.

Next time your feeling sad and depressed, remember no one likes an emo.

For tax reasons and centrelink benefits, I'm an unemployed quadraplegic.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    |I REP BACK 2K+|
    //////////////////////

Stats: 5'8", 203 lbs
    BodyPoints: 4757
    DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000) DeepFry is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit DeepFry's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    Bad in my opinion.
    Your muscles will soon get used to the same routine. In my veiw thats bad, Shock thopery is the best way forward, Do your back but mix up the weights and the excise you are doing.
    Try 6-8 reps 5 sets. then other day try 15-20 reps 3-4 sets. mix it up.
    Works for me.
    good luck

Stats: 5'6", 185 lbs
    BodyPoints: 6308
    Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anabolik has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Anabolik's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by TheDeepBlue View Post
    the answer
    low intenisty = ok
    high intensity = bad

if he's doing high intensity going to failure or near failure every set then he will be overloading his CNS with rate coding.
    Doing them everyday by themselves alone is bad enough. If he does them within 48hours of any high intensity work of his lats and biceps he is only compounding the problem.
    Although the biceps/brachialis is a small muscle group and commonly use to frequent(too frequent) training, it is not so prone to over training, this is not to say you cant though, infact it is still quiet easy. However the lats are a much larger muscle and usual not conditioned as well as the arms.
    You could then argue that most people use their arms a lot more then their lats when performing a chin up and so their arms will fail alot sooner then their lats will so will not experience such a high neural load stopping them from being over trained. But then in saying this you are completely ignoring the fact that they are still experiencing high rate coding as well as the fact the CNS is interconnected and as a whole does require rest.
    If he is doing wide grip chins then he is also using his pec major as a prime mover in the ROM between where his upper arms are above parallel.......

simply....
    depending on intensity and form, your not just probably over training your arms and your lats, but also your chest, pretty much your whole upper body. So dont be surprised if all of your lifts involving your upper body are either very minimal, non existent or negative.

I agree with this guy at least on the intensity part of it. If you are just doing a few sets a day here and there but nothing too intense you will be fine.

Stats: 6'0", 194 lbs
    BodyPoints: 10951
    30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 30/7/66 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit 30/7/66's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Thunderjason View Post
    Won't do you any harm.

I do about 4 sets of pullups on my door ledge everyday.
    won't do him any good either. he needs rest to grow.
    No regrets, only lessons learnt.

BodyPoints: 21378
    J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) J.L.C. has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit J.L.C.'s BodySpace
    When I wanted to get my pullups up, that's exactly what I did.

I started with 60% of what I could do for a single set - 6 reps at the time (I could do a total of 10 back then).

First 7 days - 3 sets of 6 shoulder-width pullups.

For the next 7 days - 3 sets of 7 shoulder-width chinups.

Then, for the 3rd 7 days - 3 sets of 8 wide-grip pullups.

Then the cycle repeats:
    3 sets of 9 pullups for 7 days
    3 sets of 10 chinups for 7 days
    3 sets of 11 wide-grip pullups for 7 days.

I kept going until I was doing 3 sets of 20 wide-grip pullups.

My CNS didn't die, I didn't overtrain, but I greatly increased the number of pullups I could do. I noticed some nice changes in musculature as well.

Bringing back farmer tans Scott_32's Avatar
    Stats: 5'8", 185 lbs
    BodyPoints: 43324
    Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Scott_32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit Scott_32's BodySpace
    I've seen this same topic discussed a few times. I don't think doing pull-ups everyday can hurt you. I know lots of other guys out here that do 100-200 everyday. I've never seen or heard anyone get anything but good results from it.
    -Your anger is a gift-

Stats: 5'11", 207 lbs
    BodyPoints: 30213
    nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nutsy54 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit nutsy54's BodySpace

Thumbs up

As many have pointed out, it all depends on your goal, and your current ability.

If you want to increase pure numbers (endurance), then this is a great way to do it. BUT, do not go to failure! You should be doing roughly 50-75% of your max during any session. Check your Max every week or two, then adjust your daily set as appropriate.
    - "How do those guys on submarines hold their breath for so long?" - Kelly Bundy

Stats: 5'11", 157 lbs
    BodyPoints: 5506
    d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) d3v is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit d3v's BodySpace
    i been doing them every day for a week now and it's hard to resist not repping to failure. when I did my CNS was fried and I was ****ed for the best part of 2-3 days.
    21 years old
    157lbs
    5.11"
    15% bodyfat

Stats: 5'7", 191 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1360
    superman2269 will become famous soon enough. (+50) superman2269 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit superman2269's BodySpace
    I use to do two or three sets of pull ups (wide grip) before all of my workouts. I weigh a lot more now, and my back is not as strong as it use to be. So, I don't do them as much any more.

I would have to say, if you do a couple of sets or just one a day, it shouldn't hurt you. Your back will grow, and strength will also.

As far as going to failure, I wouldn't recommend it. I agree with these guys about taking away from your other body parts.
    Age- 29
    Years working out- 12
    Seriously-off and on for three
    Height-5'7
    Weight- 202 (07-20-08)
    Goal- get to 215-225 (building mass)
    then cut to 195-200 and maintain

Supplements- Creatine, ON whey, and glutamine off and on. Arginine,Tribulus.

Stats: 5'7", 141 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1745
    xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xylene is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit xylene's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by 30/7/66 View Post
    +1
    Rest every other day.

I would not say anything here that I wouldn't say in person. :)

Stats: 5'8", 202 lbs
    BodyPoints: 96132
    trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) trojannation has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit trojannation's BodySpace
    What I find works best for me is to do them every few days. Every year when I am getting ready for PT tests I will do several sets of 10 pull ups or until failure between each exercise I am doing that day. At the end of the workout I may have done 80-100 pull ups, and you need a day or two of rest so that your muscles recover.
    Bench Vid: 225x24 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4eZ7CCfPA

all the misc . com

BodyPoints: 8499
    Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Squinky's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by 30/7/66 View Post
    He rests at night. It`s ALL about intensity and volume. We walk every day, but our legs don`t go to overtrained state. If he wants to be good at it and can do it wisely it will be good for him.

BodyPoints: 8499
    Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Squinky's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by DeepFry View Post
    Bad in my opinion.
    Your muscles will soon get used to the same routine. In my veiw thats bad, Shock thopery is the best way forward, Do your back but mix up the weights and the excise you are doing.
    Try 6-8 reps 5 sets. then other day try 15-20 reps 3-4 sets. mix it up.
    Works for me.
    good luck
    Yes, his muscles will get used to it. It`s the whole purpose. If you do pull-ups every day you basically force the muscles to grow and adapt. And its not a good idea to talk about rep ranges when we don`t know how many pull-ups this guy can do. If he can do for example 10, I don`t see no reason to go past 5, ever.

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    Stats: 5'11", 181 lbs
    BodyPoints: 41403
    I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) I dont work at Ballys has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit I dont work at Ballys's BodySpace

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by DeepFry View Post
    Your muscles will soon get used to the same routine. In my veiw thats bad,
    bad?

strength adaptation is one of the key processes in building muscle.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

Stats: 6'0", 209 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1259
    Pingla is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Pingla's BodySpace
    I do a set of 5 reps every time i enter the door leading to this room. 5-15 sets daily. My max is about 15 reps, I've got great results with this method. I have removed chins-ups at the gym and now I do 3 sets of rows three times a week, including 2 sets of bicepscurls three times a week as well as additional work on forearms with reverse grip and just ordinary forearmcurls.

Stats: 5'10", 202 lbs
    sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sportyaccordy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit sportyaccordy's BodySpace
    How does this work in with your workouts

Do you work out?

I would take a break every other day
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    BodyPoints: 271
    E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) E_P_C has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit E_P_C's BodySpace
    it depends what your goals are but

if your not training specifically for pullups it is pointless to do them everyday
    |~| EXTREME PULL UPS CREW |~|

2014 RAW PR's: Squat 365x1 | Paused Bench 275x1 | Deadlift 525x1 | OH Press 205x1

Clear Muscle Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161934133

Minister for Propoganda gomez26's Avatar
    Stats: 6'2", 212 lbs
    BodyPoints: 4810
    gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gomez26 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit gomez26's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by TheDeepBlue View Post
    the answer
    low intenisty = ok
    high intensity = bad

simply....

i agree its not optimal for mass gaining.

ur argument however points to overtraining the cns. this is not true. some of the best benchers (competitive powerlifters) bench 5 times a week. if they were overtraining the cns they wouldnt be gaining strength. some olympic lifters train the same lifts 6 days a week. heavy weight with low reps = max load on cns. high % of 1RM = high intensity.

whatever workload u can recover from, if u'r after strength divide it up as much as possible over 6 days & do a bit every day (still high intensity just volume has been spread). if ur after mass its better to concentrate the volume into 1 or max 2 days per week. thats the only difference. jack all to do with cns & the overtraining boogeyman from the clouds.
    Last edited by gomez26; 05-10-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit SquatTilYouDrop's BodySpace
    Old thrad is old, But....

Wow, people want to build mass in their backs but never allow the muscles to rest and grow. Brilliant!

I guess getting the pullup numbers up is more important than muscular development.

Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
    BodyPoints: 4757
    GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) GreenWave1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit GreenWave1's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post
    Old thrad is old,
    Didnt' notice the date! Just repped J.L.C. for a three year old post!
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

Stats: 6'4", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 29344
    TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TexAss has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TexAss's BodySpace
    Old thrad is old, But....

Wow, people want to build mass in their backs but never allow the muscles to rest and grow. Brilliant!

I guess getting the pullup numbers up is more important than muscular development.
    pullup numbers vs a magazine

That's a tough one, brah.

65 tons of American Pride BluntD's Avatar
    Stats: 5'9", 194 lbs
    BodyPoints: 23604
    BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit BluntD's BodySpace

That's not neccessarily true.

I'd be willing to take JLC's word on it:

Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    My CNS didn't die, I didn't overtrain, but I greatly increased the number of pullups I could do. I noticed some nice changes in musculature as well.
    Return of the Mack?

SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit SquatTilYouDrop's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by BluntD View Post
    That's not neccessarily true.

I'd be willing to take JLC's word on it:
    Funny, I do pullups "once" per week about 5-6 sets with varying hand grips. My pullup numbers have went up steadily along with my back musculature.

Just basing the OPs question on my own experience. Obliterating back muscles on back day, then following up with moderate to high intensity pullup numbers every day will wear on your CNS and can retard or slow down muscular development over time.

I've tried it both ways. The former is the way to go, at least for me.

Stats: 5'8", 161 lbs
    xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) xuerebx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit xuerebx's BodySpace
    The only way for me to increase my pullup numbers was to do pullups everyday, to failure. For the first 2 weeks failure for me was only 1-2 reps. I did this for around 6 weeks and now I can do 6-8reps for 4 sets as part of my back workout, once a week.
    "Pain is temporary. It my last for a minute, an hour, or a day. Or even a year. But eventually - it will subside, and something else will take its place. If I quit however, it will last forever."

"But it ain't about how hard you can hit - it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

"Get up, and don't ever give up".

65 tons of American Pride BluntD's Avatar
    Stats: 5'9", 194 lbs
    BodyPoints: 23604
    BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) BluntD has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit BluntD's BodySpace
    Funny, I do pullups "once" per week about 5-6 sets with varying hand grips. My pullup numbers have went up steadily along with my back musculature.

Just basing the OPs question on my own experience. Obliterating back muscles on back day, then following up with moderate to high intensity pullup numbers every day will wear on your CNS and can retard or slow down muscular development over time.

I've tried it both ways. The former is the way to go, at least for me.
    Key parts in bold.

Not to say it's optimal or otherwise, just that I've seen this done successfully on more then enough occasions that you can't automatically discount it as being bad. Like anything else, it's finding what works for that particular person and that won't be the same for everyone.
    Return of the Mack?

Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Scoundrel has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Scoundrel's BodySpace
    get a good split going and save your pullups for back day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast