amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50)

oatmeal vs. cream of wheat vs....malt-o-meal???

i would never give up on my oats, but my gf grew up eating cream of wheat and wants to include it her diet. malt-o-meal.... well i dont really know what this stuff is but it damn does it look tasty! im trying to find the differences in GIs of the three and im having a hard time. does anyone know of a site that has both oatmeal and cream of wheat listed? i think malt o meal is similar to cream of wheat, and i dont expect to find a website with the brand "malt-o-meal" listed. my problem is that many sites vary in their numbers, and i cant find one site that has both, so i can compare them equally. if anyone can help me out with any info on these products that would be much appreciated. and im having some oatmeal issues also, i use regular quaker oats. i dont know if theyre rolled or steel cut or what. they arent instant or flavored, i think they are as regular as they can get. i've noticed that some sites dont have "oatmeal" but they have oats. and porridge made from oats. and the GI of porridge made from oats varies dependingon the country? what the hell is that about? anyway im a united statesian if that makes a difference.

any even tried malt-o-meal? is it as good as it looks? man it looks good!

thank you

amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50) amurr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    (bump) anyone???

323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 323mattb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I can't give any numbers, but I'm pretty sure cream of wheat has a much higher gi than oats. Quaker oats would be rolled, not steel cut. And, I'm not sure about malt-o-meal. I always thought that was a value brand of various cereals, like the cheaper kind of luck charms called lucky stars or something like that. You must be referring to malt-o-meal's oatmeal?

hmmmmm... maybe that is what im referring to because now that you mention the cheap cereal that does sound right. i dont know. next time i go to the store ill have to check it out.

the picture on the box looks like if youve ever cooked ground oats. and the box is pretty heavy, so whatever is inside is definatly in a ground up powder form.

and thanks for the info on cream of wheat

mammaklehm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Malt-o-Meal

Malt-o-Meal is just like Cream of Wheat but with malt added. It adds flavor and Cream of Wheat is way tasteless to me. I grew up on Malt-o-Meal.

The Malt-o-Meal brand expanded a decade or so ago to making dry cereals. They are good tasting knock-offs of major brands with a focus on lower price. They have nothing to do with Malt-o-Meal except being made by the company.

Oatmeal has stuff in it that neither Malt-o-Meal nor Cream of Wheat have, making it the better choice for health. It has been cited as lowering cholesterol, healing eczema, fighting carcenogens, etc. you can look it up pretty easily. Being a totally different plant, the wheat cereals are not the same.

mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by amurr View Post
    i would never give up on my oats, but my gf grew up eating cream of wheat and wants to include it her diet. malt-o-meal.... well i dont really know what this stuff is but it damn does it look tasty! im trying to find the differences in GIs of the three and im having a hard time. does anyone know of a site that has both oatmeal and cream of wheat listed? i think malt o meal is similar to cream of wheat, and i dont expect to find a website with the brand "malt-o-meal" listed. my problem is that many sites vary in their numbers, and i cant find one site that has both, so i can compare them equally. if anyone can help me out with any info on these products that would be much appreciated. and im having some oatmeal issues also, i use regular quaker oats. i dont know if theyre rolled or steel cut or what. they arent instant or flavored, i think they are as regular as they can get. i've noticed that some sites dont have "oatmeal" but they have oats. and porridge made from oats. and the GI of porridge made from oats varies dependingon the country? what the hell is that about? anyway im a united statesian if that makes a difference.

thank you
    join date 2004 and still thinks GI is important

Originally Posted by amurr View Post
    i would never give up on my oats, but my gf grew up eating cream of wheat and wants to include it her diet. malt-o-meal.... well i dont really know what this stuff is but it damn does it look tasty! im trying to find the differences in GIs of the three and im having a hard time. does anyone know of a site that has both oatmeal and cream of wheat listed?

(snip)

thank you

I don't know about the GI. I've seen different GI for lots of things depending on where I look. It would surprize me if the wheat were even close to the oats, though. I don't notice the tougher part of the wheat in Malt-o-Meal when I look at it or eat it. Even so, 100% whole wheat isn't really low GI. Oats are.

That said, I hate oatmeal and I love Malt-o-Meal. ;^)
    Last edited by mammaklehm; 03-13-2011 at 12:20 PM.

LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50) LordNikon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It tastes delicious but has a higher sugar content, lower fat (none really) and much lower fiber content than oatmeal. Just try it; it's not going to hurt you.
    I exercise for myself and no one else.

matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matthew3881 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mannydawg View Post
    join date 2004 and still thinks GI is important
    post date is also 2004... where did u even find this thread
    "I wish people trained their brains with the same passion they are training their biceps." - Juliacheh

"you dont want a lot of simple carbs because it increases estrogen levels in your body. unless you eat them right after you workout. estrogen will quicken the uptake of protein and it repleneshes glycogen levels in your muscles!" -GOMDpls

mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mannydawg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by matthew3881 View Post
    post date is also 2004... where did u even find this thread
    oh ha ha ha knuckle head bumped it and i didnt look at post date. lol

knucklehead

Sry. Found it in a search and didn't think to look at the date. My usual forums archive old stuff like this and so it isn't an issue.

Originally Posted by mammaklehm View Post
    Sry. Found it in a search and didn't think to look at the date. My usual forums archive old stuff like this and so it isn't an issue.
    i actually give you props for using the seach button not many people do. but you should know that GI doesn't really matter if thats what you were confused about.

GI doesn't really matter?

Originally Posted by mannydawg View Post
    i actually give you props for using the seach button not many people do. but you should know that GI doesn't really matter if thats what you were confused about.

Not even for people with blood sugar issues? I am getting about the age most in my family started having trouble and I need to learn about this.

Originally Posted by mammaklehm View Post
    Not even for people with blood sugar issues? I am getting about the age most in my family started having trouble and I need to learn about this.
    if your eating a meal with some protein and fat in it then you don't have to worry because those will slow down the digestion. If your having only carbohydrates and nothing else then yes GI is important in that case.

Thanks

Ok, thanks, that's the same information I was going on. My knowlege comes, mostly, from The Zone book... very old.
    Last edited by mammaklehm; 03-13-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo