Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kutulus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chest and Back on the same day

I've heard many people FOR and AGAINST this...

I personally do chest and back on the same day because it is good to work two opposing muscle groups, and it also indirectly works both your biceps and triceps to some degree...

Some people say they don't have enough energy to do both chest and back on the same day...

But I haven't had any trouble finishing both in about 1 hr and using max intensity throughout the whole routine...

Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kutulus, I agree. I have been working my chest and back together now for 3 months with excellent results. I was a bit apprehensive about it at first, but after 2 weeks, I was hooked! Not only that, but my arms (which I work together now too) get blasted on arm day AND chest/back day. Needless to say, I have had great gains in both chest and back as well as my arms since doing this. That being said, I'll probably mix things up again in a month just to keep my workout from getting dull, but all in all, I would highly recommend this split!
    "Feelin' Good Is Good Enough!"

Draco3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many exercises do you do for each muscle group?I sometimes work chest and back together but i decrease the amount of exercises for both I can't have a full heavy chest workout and then turn around and do back,I do like the pump I get from it though.

9 sets for chest, 12 for back

i usally do my chest/back routine, and after awhile i'll do chest/tri day and back/bis day for about 1 month...

chest/tri and back/bis is a good way to increase your bench (because it gives your triceps a full week to recover)

i think chest/back days are best for increasing arm size, because you get a day of indirect arm work, and then a whole seperate day to isolate your arms, it is very effective.

btw, ur arms shouldn't get sore from being worked indirectly... if they do you need to focus some attention to your form

Dorian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do chest and back together at times also, but one thing I like to do is alternate the workout. Which is to say I do a chest exercise ,lets say a bench press for 8 reps, then I will rest and do a back rotuine , maybe a chinups for 10. I continue like this alternating until I am done with my entire routine. actually doing this will aid in the recovery process.

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Dorian
    I do chest and back together at times also, but one thing I like to do is alternate the workout. Which is to say I do a chest exercise ,lets say a bench press for 8 reps, then I will rest and do a back rotuine , maybe a chinups for 10. I continue like this alternating until I am done with my entire routine. actually doing this will aid in the recovery process.

thats exactly how i used to train, by alternating exercises rather than doing say all chest first, then all tris in the latter part of the workout... and it worked well for me... then, it never occured to me to train the 'norma' way... can alternating be used as a plateau buster or to switch things up?

AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    At the moment the same routine is what i am doing. I guess it is what is contributing to my increase in arms size, which increased for the last month and a half of about 1/8 inch almost every week or every other week or so. Though i am in a bulking stage of sorth, my arms is about 16 5/8 inch in size now from a mere 15 inches four months ago. And about Kutulus saying that your arms should not be sore after a chest back day, I don't think so. Lifting heavy during chest and doing the same during back, i don't think you would still be feeling okay with your arms after. You can do as much focus on the Pectorals when doing bench press and on your lats when doing back, but if your triceps and biceps are not up to it then the weight would just not move at all. The most important thing is recovery, that when you hit your arms on a particular day they are fully recovered. They belong to small muscle group so they recover that fast. The key, rest and nutrition.

Originally posted by Dorian
    ya that'd be a pretty good way to switch it up every once-in-awhile

also:

instead of CHEST/BACK

you can switch to BACK/CHEST... and hit your back first

Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)
    i did chest & back for years and have only recently changed. after chest i used to start my back workout with deadlifts and then loved doing chins after that as you feel like you could do them all day after the heavy deadlifts.Richie

collosus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have found that chest and back are good together but you really need to watch your form so as not to put too much focus on your arms and shoulders at the same time.

yup, that is why i pre-exaust my pecs

FLEXX_ON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FLEXX_ON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FLEXX_ON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FLEXX_ON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FLEXX_ON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FLEXX_ON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FLEXX_ON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey, the dude before said he had to watch his form really well on the chest and back so that he doesnt over do the shoulders and arms and cause injury.

kutulus u said " thats why i pre exhaust my chest"

explain the theory behind that and how u pre exaust it?

thanks
    TRAIN LIKE A HORSE, EAT LIKE A PIG AND GROW LIKE ARNY!

beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    That's exactly what I'm planning..
    I am not a musclebuilder, I am a bodybuilder!

hardworkingguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me chest and back training goes together nicely and I therefore often do exercises for both on the same day!

SGmorris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SGmorris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SGmorris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SGmorris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SGmorris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SGmorris has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I work my chest and back at the same time too. no complaints.

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Too much work in one workout imo. Id split them up, that way you can put 100% focus into chest and into back instead of being tired after doing your chest work and then having to follow it up with what needs to be an equally intense back workout but likely wont be because youre already getting spent.

zmills94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kutulus View Post

I personally do chest and back on the same day because it is good to work two opposing muscle groups, and it also indirectly works both your biceps and triceps to some degree...

Some people say they don't have enough energy to do both chest and back on the same day...

But I haven't had any trouble finishing both in about 1 hr and using max intensity throughout the whole routine...
    I'm going to do chest and back today, I will do it every now and then, mainly when on a back day my chest is feeling up to it. One tip I've used and seemed to help me is after you do a set of bench press you go and do a set of dumbbell rows. What I've researched is the lactic acid you acquired by doing the push motion will be transferred to the back part of your body when you do the pull motion, making you able to push out a couple more reps on your next set. Try it sometime and let me know how it goes!

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    madness in this thread

well maybe just broscience

oh my gawd, I do legs, chest, back, shoulders all in the same workout (insane!)

Full body ftw
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do chest/shoulders/tris and back/legs/bis 2 days a week each..typically every other day with occasional 2 days in a row.

I've always kinda wanted to switch to chest/back and legs/shoulders because I do my OHP after benching (all big lifts 3x5) and I feel like the heavier the weight gets the more benching first is killing my OHP progression...which stalls every 2-3 workouts.

is this normal? should I alternate which press I do first?

the fly in the ointment to switching back off of leg day is deadlifts...where to do them?

should be mentioned I am cutting and have lost 30 pounds over the last 5 months...so stalling is not exactly a suprise now that I am 2 months into a heavy lifting program.

bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bonito88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why are those guys banned ? I'm really interested in doing chest-bcak workout in the same days but know I'm a bit suspicious ?? ((:

h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) h3adbang3r14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i do chest and back together bc they conteract each other

Cosmianoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a serious question. I'm wondering if my chest and back routine is too much or a good fit. I'm looking to bulk up.

Monday: chest/back
    Chest:20 sets
    1. 4 supersets of bench press with dumbbell press
    2. 4 supersets of dumbell flies with pullover flies
    3. 4 sets of cable flies

Back: 15 sets
    1. 5 sets of bent over barbell row
    2. 5 sets of T-Bar row
    5 sets of reversed grip bent over barbell row (lighter weight)

Thursday: back/ chest
    Back: 20 sets
    1. 5sets of deadlift
    2. 5 sets of T-Bar row
    3. 5 sets of bent over row
    4. 5 sets of deadlift (lighter weight)

Chest: 16 sets
    1. 4 supersets of inclined bench press with inclined barbell press
    2. 4 sets of inclined barbell flies
    3. 4 sets of dips

tgregg75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chest and Back same day

I currently do chest and back same day. I adopted and tweaked a routine I found here on bb.com. Day 1 chest/back, day 2 legs, rest, day 3 shoulders, rest, day 4 biceps/tricept, rest. I also do some core work every workout. I superset most all exercises, for example, bench press superset with wide grip lat pull downs. 8-12 reps, 4-6 working sets, 30-90 sec timed rest between sets. I do in general 4 superset routines for each body part. Workout last right at 1 hour.

themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ITT.......

no one looks at posting dates
    ig: @monkaycrak

Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173015051

5/7/16 Meet Results: 391/237/534 @ 161.

9/24/16 Meet Results: 402/242/528 @ 159.

3/18/17 Meet Results: 402/253/545 @ 163.

rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There is certainly a school of thought that says it is beneficial to work Antagonising muscle groups together. I guess this comes down to personal choice & experience.

Personally I would find it impossible to work Chest & Back on the same day whilst using a body part split. I think it is best to do the three big muscle groups on separate days (Legs, Chest & Back), to allow you to get the absolute most out of your workout.

What exercises are you doing?
    Maximum Lifts

Squat = 154lbs 5RM (ATG) | Goal = 176lbs 5RM
    Deadlift = 253lbs 3RM / 275lb 1RM | Goal = 2x BW 5RM (On Hold whilst doing AllPro)
    Bench Press = 110lbs 5RM | Goal = 1x BW 5RM

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." Invictus, William Ernest Henley.

themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) themonkay has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rossmcd87 View Post
    There is certainly a school of thought that says it is beneficial to work Antagonising muscle groups together. I guess this comes down to personal choice & experience.

Personally I would find it impossible to work Chest & Back on the same day whilst using a body part split. I think it is best to do the three big muscle groups on separate days (Legs, Chest & Back), to allow you to get the absolute most out of your workout.

What exercises are you doing?
    I'm sure he has been eagerly waiting for your reply for these last 12 years
    ig: @monkaycrak

Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173015051

5/7/16 Meet Results: 391/237/534 @ 161.

9/24/16 Meet Results: 402/242/528 @ 159.

3/18/17 Meet Results: 402/253/545 @ 163.

rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rossmcd87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by themonkay View Post
    I'm sure he has been eagerly waiting for your reply for these last 12 years
    Haha. Derp.

It wasn't me who dredged this thread up. I just assumed it was current!
    Maximum Lifts

Squat = 154lbs 5RM (ATG) | Goal = 176lbs 5RM
    Deadlift = 253lbs 3RM / 275lb 1RM | Goal = 2x BW 5RM (On Hold whilst doing AllPro)
    Bench Press = 110lbs 5RM | Goal = 1x BW 5RM

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." Invictus, William Ernest Henley.

boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100)
    I do them on separate days. The chest and back are big muscles and deserve their own day. After I am done with a hard back work out I have no energy for a chest workout. Better if you came back fresh and did them on a separate day. Just my 2 cents.

Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fittest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bumpin pre zyzz-era thread,
    yes, they are actually synergesical thus allowing greater poundages, theres actually a video of a powerlifter supersetting chest press/pull ups (may post later)
    the energy expense is greater though, so I guess medium-advanced lifters could perform easily.