Thread: box jumps

dmill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

box jumps

I have been doing box jumps lately as a part of a plyometric workout to increase my vertical.
    I was using a 2ft. box and jumping onto it and back down. As soon as I hit the ground, I would explode back up onto the box. This worked well, except I wasnt getting tired or feeling any burn unless I did about 50 reps, 3x. I was told that this is way too many foot contacts and will not directly help with my vert. So, I moved up to a 3ft. box, and I did about 20 reps. This was a good workout, but still I was told this was too many foot contacts. A 3 ft. box is the highest box available at my gym. I don't know if I should continue to do 3x20 with exploding onto this box as soon as I hit the ground, or if I should jump up, wait on the ground, and the jump back up again. Or maybe I could squat down, jump onto the box and back down and repeat.

I also need help w/ my jumping program. I am currently doing this 2 times a week:
    Squat jumps-5x5
    Box jumps(3ft)3x10
    Box jumps(3ft sqautting down)3x5
    One leg box jumps- 3x5
    Side to side box jumps-3x20

I did this today and didnt feel ****.

Chemically Imbalanced Wanker527's Avatar
    Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Wanker527 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    do jump squats. you'll feel THAT ****.
    "Oderint dum metuant." -Lucius Accius

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: box jumps

Originally posted by dmill
    I have been doing box jumps lately as a part of a plyometric workout to increase my vertical.
    I was using a 2ft. box and jumping onto it and back down. As soon as I hit the ground, I would explode back up onto the box. This worked well, except I wasnt getting tired or feeling any burn unless I did about 50 reps, 3x. I was told that this is way too many foot contacts and will not directly help with my vert. So, I moved up to a 3ft. box, and I did about 20 reps. This was a good workout, but still I was told this was too many foot contacts. A 3 ft. box is the highest box available at my gym. I don't know if I should continue to do 3x20 with exploding onto this box as soon as I hit the ground, or if I should jump up, wait on the ground, and the jump back up again. Or maybe I could squat down, jump onto the box and back down and repeat.

I also need help w/ my jumping program. I am currently doing this 2 times a week:
    Squat jumps-5x5
    Box jumps(3ft)3x10
    Box jumps(3ft sqautting down)3x5
    One leg box jumps- 3x5
    Side to side box jumps-3x20

I did this today and didnt feel ****.
    That's a hell of a load on your CNS. What is your 1RM squat and deadlift?
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: box jumps

i've never really understood how jump squatting can be safe on the knees in the long run. i guess it is since it's encouraged, but still don't see how.

Originally posted by dookie1481
    That's a hell of a load on your CNS.
    big bump

jamal44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Box Jumps

Hey, I also started doing box jumps to increase my vertical. I found doing lateral box jumps have helped me greatly since I usually only train in the frontal plane, but for athlete's it is important to work your lateral movements. I found this video which demonstrated it quite well. There was a new training channel on youtube, they primarily run athletic combines that's how I found out about them. The channel is called Check My Athletics they have a training series if you watch thier box jump video the demonstrate it nicely.

kthahypebeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    throw a weighted vest on do 5 reps take it off then to 5 more back to back thats my fav
    do it for the gaiiinzz

KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCUtah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Instagram: https://instagram.com/kcworkout/
    http://www.KCWorkout.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/kcworkout

Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500) Boxingfella is not very helpful. (-500)
    Holy biggest thread bump I have ever seen