Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Tom Venuto - 10 Lies About The Atkins Diet!

You'll discover the real truth about low carb diets and a real solution to the problem of excess body fat that is beautiful in its simplicity, yet powerful in effectiveness. Read on to learn the 10 Lies about the Atkins diet and discover the truth!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/venuto1.htm

HOW TO REVIEW: Post Your Review Of This Article - CLICK ON POST REPLY BELOW! You do NOT need to be a registered member to post a reply in this section!

Unregistered
    Atkins is really not for those who want to look and feel good.
    I started with atkins diet to take away the extra fat fast. But I felt slow and heavier than the time I started.

I lost some of the fat and more of my muscles. The worst thing is I felt weak when I weight train. So.....

I went on a balanced diet I found here at bodybuilding.com

I'm having decent gains. I'm now trying to build mass.

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    good article, sensible, backed up and interesting

this wont collect all the flames the other "anti-atkins" articles have gotten (well it shouldnt!)

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Venuto is an idiot.

Unregistered

Tom knows what he talks about

I read Tom's book about six months ago. He changed my life . Within 12 weeks my body changed so much that I was in the BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE and I still am ! Everything what he writes about is like coming back to the roots. His approach is logical and it does work. I strongly recommend his book - FEED THE MUSCLE, BURN THE FAT. Furthermore, please have a look at his picture, Tom does what he preaches , he is the true evidence that his approach to nutrition works !

Unregistered

Re: Tom knows what he talks about

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I read Tom's book about six months ago. He changed my life . Within 12 weeks my body changed so much that I was in the BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE and I still am ! Everything what he writes about is like coming back to the roots. His approach is logical and it does work. I strongly recommend his book - FEED THE MUSCLE, BURN THE FAT. Furthermore, please have a look at his picture, Tom does what he preaches , he is the true evidence that his approach to nutrition works !
    Lives changed score
    Venuto: 1
    Dr. Atkins: millions

Venuto has a way to go.

Unregistered
    It's better to change ONE life for better than million for worse. !!
    What's your body fat %?

Unregistered
    5'9" 210 lbs 10%

Johnnyironboard

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I really like Tom Venuto's advice -- he advocates balanced, healthy nutrition and exercise -- both weight training and cardiovascular activity. I doubt there are many Atkins diet followers who are able to maintain any type of extended cardiovascular activity. They like to say it's because they don't need to -- they don't want to address the fact that most actually can't sustain any type of moderate cardiovascular activity for 30 to 45 minutes due to a lack of healthy carbohydrates in their diet.

I'm sure Tom Venuto has had a positive influence on many, many people. His book is excellent!

If one wants to do a lower carb diet, other than the first Phase, which is too restrictive in my opinion, the SouthBeach Diet is a nice, healthy choice. This one is much preferable over the Atkins diet, IMO, as it advocates healthier fats and doesn't suggest for a person to pig out on tons of bacon, sausage, etc. Carbohydrates are also incorporated into the diet very nicely by Phase III in an amount that a person can sustain the diet and a balanced exercise program over time.

I do think, however, that more healthy carbs are needed than what is suggest in Phase III of the SB diet if one participates in any type of endurance cardiovascular activity.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Unregistered
    ^I doubt there are many Atkins diet followers who are able to maintain any type of extended cardiovascular activity.^

I go 5 times per week at 160 to 180 heart rate on the bike 40 to 50 minutes per day during my low carb days. You obviously have a PhD in hearsay- probably from the same school as Venuto.

Johnnyironboard

2xm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2xm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2xm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 2xm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well, i've known two people that went on the atkins diet. a mother and a child, both obese. the child ended up dieing because the system was so unbalanced and the mother quit after that happend...in the book i think eating for life the auther talks about trying the atkins diet (hes a bodybuilder) within the first week he had lost so much muscle mass all of his friends thought he was sick and his stats took a nose dive...this diet may work for some people but every one that i know that has gone on it has been able to stick to it for at max a month and then they have a rubber ban effect and most of the time wind up weighing more with less muscle mass.
    Last edited by 2xm; 07-12-2004 at 05:05 PM.
    -What does love mean? You dont look good enough to get laid by somone you haven't known 6 months-

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I go 5 times per week at 160 to 180 heart rate on the bike 40 to 50 minutes per day during my low carb days. You obviously have a PhD in hearsay- probably from the same school as Venuto.
    No need to be testy. I'm sure you're just quite the Superman, Johnnyironboard on no carbs at all and Tom Venuto is a blooming idiot making tons of money passing around bogus information. He's the only person that has ever suggested your body needs carbohydrates -- right? He made it all up.

I've also noticed you're quite the genius at having a conversation, evidenced from your first post on this subject.
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Hibiscus09
    No need to be testy. I'm sure you're just quite the Superman, Johnnyironboard on no carbs at all and Tom Venuto is a blooming idiot making tons of money passing around bogus information. He's the only person that has ever suggested your body needs carbohydrates -- right? He made it all up.

I've also noticed you're quite the genius at having a conversation, evidenced from your first post on this subject.
    Show me any real research Venuto has done. All he did in his "article" was collect a bunch of unfounded assertions and try to sell it with a defamatory title.

I have Tom Venuto's book, "Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle" -- it's excellent. You should give it a read.

I go 5 times per week at 160 to 180 heart rate on the bike 40 to 50 minutes per day during my low carb days

On your low carb days? So, you're not doing Atkins. You're doing a cyclical ketogenic diet, right? Not that that's a healthy, long-term approach either. When you're on the cyclical ketogenic diet, what is the point of the carb ups? Because you're flat out of energy by that point -- right? -- and need your glycogen stores refilled? Why take yourself to this point anyway, when you can stay energetic by eating a more balanced diet and achieve leanness through a healthy diet and cardiovascular activity? I would hate to run around feeling like I'm slowly running out of gas and then needing a refill -- then you bloat from the refill -- and start the cycle over again?

Did you read the article? He mentioned cyclical ketogenic dieting as an option, if you feel you MUST diet in this unnecessary manner:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glen12.htm

I can see where some use a CKD as a possible option to prepare for a bodybuilding competition, but certainly not as a long term, healthy approach to nutrition.
    Last edited by Hibiscus09; 07-13-2004 at 04:08 PM.

Unregistered
    I have Tom Venuto's book, "Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle" -- it's excellent. You should give it a read.

On your low carb days? So, you're not doing Atkins. You're doing a cyclical ketogenic diet, right? Not that that's a healthy, long-term approach either. When you're on the cyclical ketogenic diet, what is the point of the carb ups? Because you're flat out of energy by that point -- right? -- and need your glycogen stores refilled? Why take yourself to this point anyway, when you can stay energetic by eating a more balanced diet and achieve leanness through a healthy diet and cardiovascular activity? I would hate to run around feeling like I'm slowly running out of gas and then needing a refill -- then you bloat from the refill -- and start the cycle over again?

Did you read the article? He mentioned cyclical ketogenic dieting as an option, if you feel you MUST diet in this unnecessary manner:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glen12.htm

I can see where some use a CKD as a possible option to prepare for a bodybuilding competition, but certainly not as a long term, healthy approach to nutrition. [/B]
    I do a CKD year around- have been doing it for several years. I do the carb up for two reasons:

1. Glycogen supercompensation- this is an anabolic process that allows for strength and muscle mass increase while losing fat or staying lean- I'm 10% BF,210 lbs, 5'9".

2. It allows me to eat anything I want which helps me stay on it long term: mainly pizza, lasagne, enchiladas, burger and fries- stuff most people on low calorie, low fat diets don't eat but I can.

my blood pressure is 118/78, resting pulse is 55, and blood lipids are great. What is unhealthy about fish, chicken,turkey, some beef and mainly green vegetables???

Nothing, but what about this part?:

It allows me to eat anything I want which helps me stay on it long term: mainly pizza, lasagne, enchiladas, burger and fries- stuff most people on low calorie, low fat diets don't eat but I can.

Sounds like you don't mind a lot of saturated fats! I'd be interested to see the long term effects of that sort of eating.

Unregistered
    I have put the atkins diet down for years, only recently i tried it while doing research for an article on the subject to give a first persons opinion on it.

Goin into it with a negitive mindset i was more than surprised to be leaner, healthier (with blood test) and with more sustained energy for life.

I have no idea how or why it works, but maybe all the knockers should do as i did and try it, then knock it.

I WAS a true believer in toms way of thinking, but after this i have to admit i was wrong.

I might be the first to say I WAS WRONG but i bet i'm not the last!

I've tried it -- it sucked -- very difficult to exercise on that diet. If you were able to, more power to you. I hope you're watching your saturated fats intake and focusing more on healthier fats. A lot of people do Atkins acting like it gives them permission to eat all sorts of unhealthy fats.

Nothing, but what about this part?:

It allows me to eat anything I want which helps me stay on it long term: mainly pizza, lasagne, enchiladas, burger and fries- stuff most people on low calorie, low fat diets don't eat but I can.

Sounds like you don't mind a lot of saturated fats! I'd be interested to see the long term effects of that sort of eating.

Originally posted by johnnyironboard
    If eating pizza on Friday night and Texmex or burger and fries on Saturday night is going to kill me then I await death without fear. I eat flax meal and drink flax and fish oil all week- if some saturated fat kills me I accept it. I've read a few places that saturated fat actually increases testosterone.

Originally posted by 2xm
    well, i've known two people that went on the atkins diet. a mother and a child, both obese. the child ended up dieing because the system was so unbalanced and the mother quit after that happend
    Parents that let there kids get obese are BAD PARENTS!!!

AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by johnnyironboard
    Parents that let there kids get obese are BAD PARENTS!!!

Venuto is not an idiot. He's obviously one of the brightest in the industry.

why did you call him an idiot?

With you being on CKD diet and also being able to gain muscle while on it with the carb up strategy is more a function of your thyroid efficiency, in other words it's genetics. I hope you know that not all folks do well on those ketogenic diets. Venuto never really denounced the effectiveness of the variations of keto diets : body opus, anabolic diet, etc. He was clearly discussing about the atkins in which there are no carb up days so get your facts straight.

Personally i have tried both the low carb approach with carb ups during the weekends, and the conventional fat loss diets where special emphasis is on high protein intake, essential efa intake, and moderate carb intake. I've done well on both of them and there really is no difference between the two from what my body experienced. But I cannot say the same for others, especially those with slower metabolisms. Low carb, high carb, whatever, it didn't make a damn difference as long as I kept my intake low enough to the point of expenditure exceeding consumption: calories are less than maintenance. What makes this so? Because it was the efficiency of my thyroid and the proper amounts of T3 and T4 hormone secretion during the day. That's what matters most. I am also on the ectomorphic side. Venuto recognizes this in his ebook as well . Most importantly, Venuto recognizes the importance of essential fats, as well as saturated fats, and very importantly the use of MCT/cocunut oil. There is more to this guy than you know.

If you still think Venuto is an idiot, then you might as well admit Will Brink and Duchaine are idiots too. They are in the same line of thought.
    "Knowing is not enough, one must apply" ~ Bruce Lee

Unregistered
    Originally posted by AJbuilder
    Venuto is not an idiot. He's obviously one of the brightest in the industry.

why did you call him an idiot?

With you being on CKD diet and also being able to gain muscle while on it with the carb up strategy is more a function of your thyroid efficiency, in other words it's genetics. I hope you know that not all folks do well on those ketogenic diets. Venuto never really denounced the effectiveness of the variations of keto diets : body opus, anabolic diet, etc. He was clearly discussing about the atkins in which there are no carb up days so get your facts straight.

Personally i have tried both the low carb approach with carb ups during the weekends, and the conventional fat loss diets where special emphasis is on high protein intake, essential efa intake, and moderate carb intake. I've done well on both of them and there really is no difference between the two from what my body experienced. But I cannot say the same for others, especially those with slower metabolisms. Low carb, high carb, whatever, it didn't make a damn difference as long as I kept my intake low enough to the point of expenditure exceeding consumption: calories are less than maintenance. What makes this so? Because it was the efficiency of my thyroid and the proper amounts of T3 and T4 hormone secretion during the day. That's what matters most. I am also on the ectomorphic side. Venuto recognizes this in his ebook as well . Most importantly, Venuto recognizes the importance of essential fats, as well as saturated fats, and very importantly the use of MCT/cocunut oil. There is more to this guy than you know.

If you still think Venuto is an idiot, then you might as well admit Will Brink and Duchaine are idiots too. They are in the same line of thought.
    Show me any research Venuoto has done--- copying what others have done is not research. Duchaine worked with hundreds of bodybuilders developing his theories and Atkins worked with probably tens(if not hundreds of) thousands developing his ideas. Reading articles does not make you an expert- reading articles and then claiming to be an expert makes you an idiot.

Practicing what you preach does -- Atkins looked like quite the fit man, now didn't he? I think Dr. Atkins did come up with some interesting ideas, but that diet hardly supports a fit lifestyle.

Whatever, Venuto's doing, it appears to be working for him. I'll ask again, have you read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle"? What exactly does he say in that book that makes you think he's an idiot?:
    Attached Images

AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000) AJbuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    Show me any research Venuoto has done--- copying what others have done is not research. Duchaine worked with hundreds of bodybuilders developing his theories and Atkins worked with probably tens(if not hundreds of) thousands developing his ideas. Reading articles does not make you an expert- reading articles and then claiming to be an expert makes you an idiot.

are you kidding me? did you even get the point of my post? Read Burn the fat , feed the muscle. He never ever talked down on the various versions of Keto diets. There really is no perfect diet for everyone all the time. Lyle McDonald, Will Brink, Erasmus, Staley, Nelson Montana, Bryan Haycock and pretty much everyone in the t-mag.com crew all agree that the original Atkins diet WITHOUT the carb loading days is not the best route to go in terms of gaining muscle and fat loss. You seem to just have a problem with Venuto's success. Nothing revolutionary has been discovered in the field of exercise nutrition in the past 30 years. There just seems to be a trend towards high carbs to low carbs and vice versa. The data/facts has always been there and have already been researched by the early pioneers: Duchaine, Gironda, other nutritionists and scientists. The new studies that come out nowadays are just for manipulative purposes.

Studies or not, Venuto has been successful thoughout his career, only because his teachings work . A person doesn't just get lucky to succeed. Just look at his own body .Venuto is also not a scientist like Duchaine was but his impromptu studies, trial and error experiments on himself and those he trained, personal experience and observations speak for themselves in terms of effectiveness. Venuto does not have a Ph.D so no one should expect all his studies to be "clinical". In fact, you're not allowed to lead in a clinical study unless you hold a doctorate and that's due to publishing and board issues. He's an insider . He collaborates with scientists in conducting studies. He never claimed himself to be the "God" of weight loss anyway. Like everyone, he's also out there to make money but the results are evident on those that put his method to work so the guy never ripped anyone off. He certainly didn't rip my money off. As for his methods, he doe not favor one method but a consistent total approach to applying the principles correctly. The guy is not the least bit dogmatic either unlike advocates of the zone and south beach.

Venuto displays his information in a very sensible manner and covers ALL aspects of fat loss, something Dr. Atkins and other authors of popular diets like south beach, zone, never did.

Whatever, Venuto's doing, it appears to be working for him. I'll ask again, have you read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle"? What exactly does he say in that book that makes you think he's an idiot?:

Exactly.

His book was already a bestseller in fitness publications even before it hit the internet as an e-book format.

Unregistered

Talking Atkins is a good way to start

I agree with most of your opinions on Atkins but I must take issue with some. I believe Atkins is a good start for those who have tried other diets and failed but it is only a start! Once the weight is lost you must switch to a more Carb Inclusive way of life. You must leave the bacon behind and balance your diet. Also you must EXERCISE! I am living proof of this, January 2002 I weighed 340 lbs (I am 6' 03"). I used the Atkins system combined with exercise 6 days a week, weight training and cardio, to drop to 195 lbs in eight months. This rapid weight loss motivated me to continue to exercise and eat right. I adopted a new healthy way of living and no longer considered myself "on a diet". I have continued to workout, eat right and have dropped my body fat to 15 percent. I have begun building muscle now and will continue. So my opinion is that Atkins can be a start to people who need motivation via quick weight loss to motivate themselves to eat healthier and workout.

Unregistered
    Originally posted by AJbuilder

Venuto displays his information in a very sensible manner and covers ALL aspects of fat loss, something Dr. Atkins and other authors of popular diets like south beach, zone, never did.
    ^Venuto does not have a Ph.D so no one should expect all his studies to be "clinical". In fact, you're not allowed to lead in a clinical study unless you hold a doctorate and that's due to publishing and board issues. He's an insider ^

These somehow seem to contradict.

^Venuto does not have a Ph.D so no one should expect all his studies to be "clinical". In fact, you're not allowed to lead in a clinical study unless you hold a doctorate and that's due to publishing and board issues. He's an insider ^

These somehow seem to contradict.

Venuto does not LEAD the clinical studies but collaborates with doctorate researchers and scientists instead . When the studies and references appear, whether it be in journals or publications, they will not state Venuto's name but the other Ph.D researchers that lead the study. It's always been like that. And not all of Venuto's studies are clinical in nature. Some of his "studies" are impromptus, observations as well as collected data . But nowadays all "gurus" rely on past data anyway.
    Last edited by AJbuilder; 07-16-2004 at 08:25 PM.