Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    flexster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

heres a good article about the pull-over

Movement of The Month - Anatomy of A Pullover
    by Adam " Old School " Knowlden

Mass Madness!

The purpose of this article is to help bring back from the dead one of the often neglected, all-time body building mass exercises….The Pullover! Few movements can distribute mass and density over the entire upper body like the pullover does. In fact, I compare its awesome muscle growth abilities in the same rank as the squat, upright row, and dead lift! The pull over will literally carve out your pecs, and chisel out your lats in a way that is unparallel to any other exercise! In fact, I guarantee that if you put the effort into pullovers that you do into bench presses and chins, you’ll have better thickness in your pecs and lats than you ever imagined!

Compound movement of the month!

The pullover exercise works so many muscles that it boggles the mind! The muscles involved in the pullover include:

1. Latissimus dorsi

2. Pectorals

3. Triceps

4. Teres major

5. Deltoids

6. Rhomboids

7. Levator

8. Obliques

9. Intercostals

As you can see the pullover could literally be placed next to the definition of “mass” in Webster’s dictionary! Not to mention the stretch factor! A few light sets of pullovers make an awesome warm-up to any chest or back workout! If you are interested in using the pullover to bring your body to the next level, read on!

How to use the pullover for size!

The pullover is an excellent exercise for creating a mind-muscle link with your lats. In fact if you are having problems “feeling” your lats in your back workouts, I highly recommend mastering this movement! I’ve never experienced an exercise that creates a better stretch or pull in the lats or any exercise that works the lats harder! Along with being one of the best mass building exercises ever, the pullover is also one of the most versatile! It can be performed with both dumbbells and barbells! Before we get into the different ways to perform the pullover lets discuss exactly how to perform this movement properly.

Technique for the pullover

The pullover can be performed two different ways. One technique involves lying perpendicular on a bench, with your hips lower than your back. The other technique involves lying lengthwise on a bench, with your back flat on the bench. I have to mention one important note. If you perform the perpendicular technique, do not raise your hips during the movement! Often times I see people raising their hips as they stretch back, then they drop their hips to help pull the dumbbell or barbell over. That allows you to go heavier but it cuts short the range of motion and eliminates the full contraction of the lats. All that really does is move the dumbbell with their body and not their lats and pecs. I recommend keeping your whole body as stable as possible throughout the movement. The only thing that should be moving is your arms. If you can’t keep the movement within the right range of motion then that is a good sign the weight is to heavy.

Dumbbells and Barbells!

The main difference when performing dumbbell pullovers and barbell pullovers is the range of motion. With a dumbbell you can stretch back much farther and get a better range of motion. The dumbbell allows for a better reach overhead. For this reason most bodybuilders prefer to use the dumbbell for emphasizing the lats, with the perpendicular bench technique. Both of these combined allow for the superior range of motion for the pullover. This is just due to the fact that you can reach back further with this technique and get more range of motion out of your lats.

The barbell is more restricted so most like to use that for emphasizing the chest. Along with lying on the bench lengthwise to better focus on the pecs. Even though it is more restricted, barbell pullovers will pack on insane size! And allow for more power! Try both ways for each body part and see what works best for you! However, either way will work both body parts super hardcore! I suggest using both!

Execution of the pullover!

When I’m performing the pullover I like to imagine a mental picture of myself driving a heavy sledge hammer into a huge rail road nail! Keeping my body tight and my mind focused on the task at hand! Think of the name of the exercise as you are learning how to perform it. You are literally pulling over the weight! Hence the name of the exercise. Begin the pull by squeezing your pecs and pulling your lats downward. This will raise the dumbbell from an arms’ length stretch behind your head. Then start it on its forward ark. Remember to keep the rest of your body tight!

Here’s where some variations come in.

By keeping your elbows slightly bent (between 15 and 30 degrees), you’ll force more of the pulling to be done by your lats. Keeping your elbows straighter will make your chest do more of the pulling. When using a barbell try taking a wide-grip then a closer grip. I find that a closer grip pulls more on my lats while a wider grip targets more chest. I suggest using both grips and everything in between!

Pull the barbell or dumbbell over until it is above your chest for overall development. The pullover is all about range of motion! Make sure you are using a weight that allows you to keep the form strict! Going too heavy and cheating the weight can cause serious tears due to the high degree of stretching the movement induces.

The Multipurpose Pullover!

The pullover is an extremely versatile movement! This is really great, as you can constantly keep the movement fresh to keep your intensity higher and your body guessing and growing! I already mentioned the two types of ways to do pullovers on a bench. But don’t let the fact that one is a little better for pecs or back prevent you from using both for back and chest! For example, decline barbell pullovers are one of my favorite back blasting exercises! The stretch is out of this world! Try applying static contraction with this exercise! Find the spot where you feel either your pecs or lats contracting the hardest and hold the bar there! The pain is searing! Also try them on a low-incline bench for a harder tug on the lats!

Are you a fan of working chest and back together? T hen try applying the “Double your Pain, Double your Gain” technique! In this instance you would begin your workout with 3 hardcore sets of dumbbell pullovers, and then at the end of your workout perform 3 sets of barbell pullovers at to finish these body parts off!

Drop sets of pullovers will not only add slabs of meat to your lats, but also mad vascularity to this tough to target area! Another variation of the dumbbell pull over is to use two dumbbells! One in each hand! Mimic the same motion, but this form works each lat and pec independently! I like to move the dumbbells together unilaterally until failure. After initial failure of both arms I like to apply the alternating reps technique.

Editors note: The technique Adam just discussed is one of the most incredible ever put together! If you are serious about building mass, you will incorporate this immediately! It is that productive!

Rest-pause also works wonders with this exercise, especially if you are going super heavy! Pick a heavy weight and go to initial failure. Wait 10 seconds then go again until failure. Pause, wait 15 seconds and go again. Finally rest 20 seconds and go one last time! Can you handle the pain? If you’re hardcore you will!

Try applying forced and emphasized negatives for a little bit of advanced pullover madness! If you have a partner try doing implementing forced negatives! This is ultra-insanely painful! Make sure your partner pushes really slowly on the negative to prevent injury. If you’re alone try emphasizing the negative! Go for a really slow descent of 30 seconds!

Partial reps work wonders for any exercise. This holds true for the pullover as well! I find that my lats are most contracted during the pullover just as my arms reach my forehead. So, if your goal is to burn your lats perform partial burn reps in this area of the exercise! As far as the pecs, I feel a maximum contraction as the dumbbell or barbell passes over my upper chest. To apply the partial rep technique here, simply move the dumbbell to this area and perform mini-burn reps!

After you experiment with pullovers you will notice some extreme soreness in your triceps! I never thought of this before, but The Man Jacob Wilson had the incredible idea of working triceps on the same day as pullovers! After he told me about it I just had to try it! I had never worked triceps with back before, but now I do on a regular basis!

In fact, I came up with a really cool superset that I did at the end of my back workout right before I started my tricep workout. The exercise is a flowing superset of dumbbell pullovers with old school extensions! The pump in my tris was awesome! What we have here is a definate must! This is a great way to go from working the back into the triceps or the end of a back and tris day to finish off both muscle groups!

Pullovers can also be used in conjunction with cables! Try them with both types of bench techniques. With the lying bench technique try them on both an incline and decline bench! The constant tension and stretch these provide are fantastic! Stiff-arm push downs are also a variation of the pullover, only you are standing up. To perform these simply go to a tricep pushdown station and extend your arms out straight in front of you. Now simply mimic the pullover motion while standing up. I like to bend my knees enough so that I can get the bar up high enough to obtain an optimal stretch in my lats. We again come to another great way to perform the tricep/pullover superset! Except substitute the pullover with stiff-arm push downs and the old school extensions with tricep pushdowns for extreme, flowing supersets! Speaking of supersets, pullovers are an awesome exercise to superset with. Some of my favorite exercises to superset them with are wide-grip upright rows, close-grip pull downs, dumbbell flys, or dumbbell presses! In addition to this, you can create some of your own deadly combos!

Conclusion

As an overall mass builder the pullover is hard to beat! We all know how important a well built back and chest are to a bodybuilder! This one exercise alone works both of these areas to the max! And can develop them in a way that is unique to this exercise. Heavy compound movements like the pullover can’t help but add slabs of meat to your physique! Not to mention loads of strength. Begin incorporating the many variations into your workouts! I guarantee the pay off will be nothing short of a miracle!

Keep pumpin’

Old School

Mr. Widebody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Very, very interesting and well written article!

Hari K. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ahhh.. the pull-over. I haven't seen this done in my gym in a loooonnnnggggg time.

Thanks for reviving a classic. These will be added to next months routine for sure.
    Hari K.
    6'3" 241lbs BF-23.8%

"Don't give me this crap about "I can't do any more weight or I'll collapse"... add 5lbs and collapse then. When you get back up give me 10 reps"
    My training journal (new): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287773

ReYeM is a way of life, It's part of your being, It's a power you project
    and a strength you hold deep

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pullovers are great. I'm a fan.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    These are best done on a cable. With free weights, you lose the resistance as you aproach the apex. With cables, you load the resistance toward a greater leverage disadvantage at the apex.
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Mr. Widebody
    Very, very interesting and well written article!

Agree. I like it.

Terrorist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by ATrainer
    These are best done on a cable. With free weights, you lose the resistance as you aproach the apex. With cables, you load the resistance toward a greater leverage disadvantage at the apex.

how exactly can you do this exercise with a cable?

johnpar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have used pullovers for years and consider them a basic compound exercise along with BP, squats & deads. They really do pack on mass & strength. I have often wondered why they were not included in posted workouts. They are like squats for the upper body! Give them a try, you'll like the results!

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DBs at my gym max out at 100lbs.

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Terrorist
    Exactly the same way as free weights, but you position yourself where the cable ends up perpendicular to your arms at the apex. For me the focus should be on squeezing the armpit shut, rather than pulling the hands.
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Engineer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    attach a bar to the low pulley of your cable stack, then lie on the bench and do pullovers..

very nice article.. haven't done 'em in a while.. will try again after i finish HST
    I will not give up. I will not stop.

I may move to a new state, but that won't stop me. I may have to start over, but that won't stop me. You will see me someday, under the lights, in the magazines, taking home the trophy. It will happen, and if you're not here to give support then get the hell out of my way - I will not stop for you.

New Year, New Job, Livin in the Same Ol' Town... just with a Lot More $$$ rollin in...

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice article. I still think pullovers suck though.
    neg reds on sight crew

Originally posted by Rocky_Maivia
    lol...

stgeorge5_8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

stgeorge5_8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

swiss ball

anyone tried a pullover with a swiss ball? i tried it once unsuccesfully.

anyone heard or seen someone do it and if, how?

wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) wildturkey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ahh classic excercise!

Nick.
    Dreamer bulk progress: 75.1kg/165lbs 21st Jan 2018 > 94.7kg/208.8lbs 14th September 2018

wildturkey's going to do a powerlifting comp in a misc shirt thread - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175560231

Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Insane Clown is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have a pullover machine at my gym. How do you guys feel about those? (And I am looking for more than just the 'machines suck, free weights' rule response... something more specific to this exercise and this machine would be awesome.)

I don't use it very often, so I'm not too sure. I mostly do it when I'm lookin' for three quick sets of something and all the benches and stuff are taken.

jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I personally only stick to the basics but I'll admit that pullovers are a great exercise.....

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Good article, I used to do db pullovers, might try them again tomo.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by Insane Clown
    I have a pullover machine at my gym. How do you guys feel about those? (And I am looking for more than just the 'machines suck, free weights' rule response... something more specific to this exercise and this machine would be awesome.)

I don't use it very often, so I'm not too sure. I mostly do it when I'm lookin' for three quick sets of something and all the benches and stuff are taken.
    If it works for you, go for it. Admittedly I've never used a pullover machine but I stick to what I said.

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by Rocky_Maivia
    i agree...it feels like nothing more than a weighted stretch. and i definately dont have the gains from pullovers to match the article's claim.

they say pullovers will create that fuller upper body look, but theres only one exercise i got that from....parallel bar dips. IMO, thats a more realistic compound exercise.

Originally posted by .aeterna
    i agree...it feels like nothing more than a weighted stretch. and i definately dont have the gains from pullovers to match the article's claim.

they say pullovers will create that fuller upper body look, but theres only one exercise i got that from....parallel bar dips. IMO, thats a more realistic compound exercise.

If it only feels like a weighted stretch you are not using enough weight. Load up a barbell with 125+ and you will get a good workout for lats, pecs and tris. I do agree that weighted dips are a great compound exercise. I never saw any real gains until I started doing both pullovers and dips.
    Last edited by johnpar; 07-08-2004 at 06:26 AM.

I did these yesterday with a db, man my lats are sore today. I did them on chest day. next chest day I am going to use the ez barl to see if the article is correcting in saying that the bar hits the chest more.

dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For cable pullovers what do you think would be better to use, a tricep rope or a straight bar.

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    yeah maybe im not using enough weight.

at the end of the movement, where is the DB/BB generally? directly overhead your body or, more at an angle?

LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    big bump to this post. I have been using pullovers in almost all of my chest workouts and I have noticed a big difference from the days when I did nothing but bench press and flyes.
    "From apes or sons of God, let every act be sacred. " Killing Joke

Originally posted by .aeterna
    yeah maybe im not using enough weight.

at the end of the movement, where is the DB/BB generally? directly overhead your body or, more at an angle?

I use an EZ curl bar with close grip for the bent arm pullover.
    Start with the bar at mid-chest and lower as far as possible to get a full ROM. Make sure to control the weight going down, don't let it jerk or you could hurt your shoulders. You can also do straight arm pullovers - start with arms straight and the bar directly over your face. Keep arms straight and lower untill arms are extended. Total ROM is 90 degrees for this. I use less weight for straight arm PO, but they really work the chest, lats & tris.

hkilla27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a question on when to do pullovers. Should i do pullovers on my chest day or on my back day. Or should I perform them with dumbells on my back day AND perform them with the barbell on my chest day. It seems like it would be a little much to do them twice a week just slightly different.

LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I prefer doing them on chest day and most things I've read seem to agree with this.
    "From apes or sons of God, let every act be sacred. " Killing Joke