sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sssrocket has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Which Machine for best Cardio workout?

Hi all,

New member here, first post, but I have been here cruising/lurking here for a while.

I am looking at getting a rowing machine for my cardio workout.

I hate running machines,BTW

I am looking to do cardio every 2nd day in the week, in between my free weights workouts.

Is this the best equipment for my cardio workout?

Is there another machine I should be looking at?

Appreciate the help
    Cheers
    Steve

HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    a rower is a good back excercise, but bad cardio

buy a treadmill, eliptical, or a stationary bike

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Any exercise that gets your heart rate up where it needs to be, and keeps it there long enough, is a good cardio exercise.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DPLongo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPLongo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPLongo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anything that you will actually DO is fine. Bike or treadmill is probably your best bet, but "different strokes" and all.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by DPLongo
    Anything that you will actually DO is fine.
    Exactly, and most people are much better at buying exercise equipment than they are at using the stuff - which is why there are so many "like new" pieces of fitness equipment for sale in the local paper's classified ads. Lots of good buys there!
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you already have a bike, you may want to consider a piece of equipment that I don't see mentioned too often (probably due to it's sport-specific nature): rollers.

Rollers will not only provide one of the best cardio workouts (long-distance road racers use them in the off-season), but will provide an additional benefit of developing a high degree of balance and smoothness to your body movements. This balance transfers over to your everyday body movements as a whole -- which can be of benefit for BB'ing as well . . . especially posing. Note Arnold and Franco in the ballet studio in the beginning of Pumping Iron as an example of importance of balance and fluid-like motion, i.e. gaining that extra edge.

Rollers can be tough and frustrating for a novice. You'll find yourself off of them more than on. But as time goes on, you'll begin to get in the groove with just straight peddling, then move on to developing the ability to move and twist your upper body while staying on track. Be careful though, and do not exercise around anything close by that you could fall onto . . . the first time you begin to work on balance, you'll be off of them within a second or two -- it happens quickly. Fortunately, you're not really moving with any velocity, and just go over. I'd recommend not having your feet placed in any toe-clips (if you have these) until you get the hang of it.

After one season, you'll notice quite a difference in the way you walk, move and turn with your upper body -- and you'll also begin to notice how others do not. Plus, you get the cardio workout as well, and they're much less expensive than the various cardio machines that you see out there.

Of course, I'm referring to the rollers that do not have the bike "attached" or clamped on with the front wheel -- both front and rear wheels are spinning and free.

I believe that the benefits -- when combined with BB'ing -- are at least worth looking into.

tatupaul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thats interesting can you please post a pic or link of what a roller looks like ?

never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's a link. It should bring up a picture of a set of rollers (if it works):

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=11191&brand=

Once you get the hang of it, you can get out of the seat and sprint, use your different gears for more or less effort. A few of the more expensive models have either magnetic or oil-based variable resistance, etc.

But for all practical purposes -- and for use as only cardio conditioning -- a bare-bones set like the one above is fine. One of the rollers is adjustable to the wheelbase length, so you can adjust and use with either mountain bikes, road bikes, or track bikes.

For developing balance and fluid movement however, they simply cannot be beat.

Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Danton1759 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am assuming you cannot use rollers with a mountain bike. Is that correct?

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by HoboWithaRolex
    What?
    A good quality rower will work more muscles in your body than any other cardio equipment.
    Rowing is the BEST cardio.Period.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pureenergy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The stairclimber system without a doubt! I've done all the machines, but damn is that one sexy.
    I feel so speshul when you give me positive reputation points. It motivates me to be the best that I can be! Hmm.. what's the world coming to.

teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250) teewoods has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

buy a treadmill, eliptical, or a stationary bike

Are you insane!!! where do you get off posting stupid advise??? The rower is the most superior cardio equipment bar none. Studie shave shwon it get the heart rrate up more than any machine. 2.5 times more than the bike and elliptcal and 40% more than the treadmill. Its also the most feared equipment...go to any gym and you'd see people run away from the machine. Lets see you do 2000k in 7mins Mr its bad for cardio
    Last edited by teewoods; 12-19-2004 at 04:05 PM.

DPLongo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPLongo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DPLongo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The best cardio machine is the one you'll actually use.

Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vigor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    TotalGym or Weider Total Body Works
    Lifting Hobbyist, member since 2004. I rep back, always (on recharge).

Cycle Experience: 1-AD, Andro, Havoc, H-Drol, 11-OXO, BOLD

H: 6'5
    W: 220-ish (lean)

mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mufdvr420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

just a suggestion but insteed of spending all that money on some bulky epuipment, buy a heavy bag, nothing beats a heavy bag workout. also every time you hit the bag it is different work out you can work on different combos instead of the same old work out on a machine

52 Wins 4 Loses 49 KOs Deadgame's Avatar
    Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000) Deadgame is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have only two regrets: I didn't shoot Henry Clay and I didn't hang John C. Calhoun.

"A race of people is like an individual man; until it uses its own talent, takes pride in its own history, expresses its own culture, affirms its own selfhood, it can never fulfill itself." Malcolm X

1000 plus, reps returned

Millionaires are made from talent and intellect; not the major you selected when you're coming out of high school. Warren Buffett

theplastickid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theplastickid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theplastickid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theplastickid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theplastickid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) theplastickid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You are all mentioning this big expensive machinery but you forget the small things that are also great... like skipping, i have found this to be one of the best cardio workouts ever, if you really go at it fast. You can make ya heart almost jump out of ya chest!
    Name: Brett
    Age - 17
    Height - 5'5"

Chest: 94cm
    Biceps: 33 1/2cm
    Waist: 77 1/2cm

Stud in the making. Captain Crunch's Avatar
    Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Captain Crunch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What DPLongo said

What DPLongo said

The best cardio machine is the one you'll actually use

HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HoboWithaRolex has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    let me clarify, although it is good for getting up the heartrate, it is not a good machine to use for cardio because it works the back muscles so much it will causes overtraining of the back

Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000) Andrew69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    let me clarify, although it is good for getting up the heartrate, it is not a good machine to use for cardio because it works the back muscles so much it will causes overtraining of the back
    LOL, Im not even going to try and convince you otherwise.
    You gotta love how sports will f*ck with ya, make you believe you can come back from an insurmountable deficit and then get kicked right in the nuts when you're almost there - Bluntdogg

Registered User xtremecondition's Avatar
    xtremecondition has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like we should all toss our bikes out too as they would certainly cause overtraining of the legs...

NAYTCH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What kind of rower are you talking about? If you have ever CORRECTLY used a rowing ergometer or rowed competitively you would know that leg drive is where a majority of your power comes from. That is the reason for the sliding seat. If you are feeling it mostly in your back, you are using improper form. Go to ConceptII.com for more info on proper form.