JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What's better for Quad mass? Barbell Hack Squats or Front Squats?

Before everyone says "Neither, do Back Squats" I already have that in my routine.

Has anyone ever done barbell hack squats? It's basically like a deadlift except the bar is behind you instead of in front. The idea is to lift it up while keeping your back as straight as possible.

Now I've done front squats, all the way down, and I find that I don't FEEL a powerful sensation in my quads; alot in my ass but not so much the quads. I feel like a lot of my energy is spent trying to keep my core body stable.

When I do these barbell hack squats, for the same set/rep scheme, it feels like the quads are the only muscle working! They burn like crazy.

Would this mean that barbell hack squats target quads more effectively than front squats? Is this a good way to guage muscle stimulation? By feeling?

Ain't nuttin but a peanut bigredlemon's Avatar
    bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    squats dont hit your quads all that hard... try leg press or leg extensions instead

JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JohnnyThrice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by bigredlemon
    squats dont hit your quads all that hard... try leg press or leg extensions instead

hmmmmm.....that may be up for debate! Leg extensions for mass???? I don't think so newb

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by JohnnyThrice
    hmmmmm.....that may be up for debate! Leg extensions for mass???? I don't think so newb
    LOL.......they sure are good for shearing forces, though.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigredlemon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it's not the perfect exercise for legs, but there isn't all that many that hits the quads hard without being limited by the hams/glutes/etc, and you can only do the leg press so much before you hit diminishing returns

Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nolan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I couldn't do regular squats due to no power rack so I started doing BB hack squats instead. I had to stop however because they just killed my knees and i now do front squats.

All I can really say is that BB hack squats are probably better than machines, leg presses, and extensions. And that i believe front squats or zercher squats to be the 2nd to regular squats. This is due to safety and overall mass and strength progression in my quads.

dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it's not the perfect exercise for legs, but there isn't all that many that hits the quads hard without being limited by the hams/glutes/etc, and you can only do the leg press so much before you hit diminishing returns
    How are the glutes and hams limiting you? Why do you need to emphasize the quads more? If you improve your back squat from 200 to 400 pounds, your quads will be much bigger.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Originally posted by dookie1481
    How are the glutes and hams limiting you? Why do you need to emphasize the quads more? If you improve your back squat from 200 to 400 pounds, your quads will be much bigger.
    he said he wasn't feeling it in the quads during squats, which means the limiting factor in his squat is his hams/glutes. By the time the hams/glutes are to failure, the quads are just warmed up. Doing more squats isn't going to do **** for him since he can't do anymore.

Hence, you isolate that muscle either before and afterwards. if you don't isolate the quads, you won't be overloading them. No overload = no growth (or minimal growth anyway.)

At no point did I say stop doing squats.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    fronjt squats.

btw, hack squats VERY brutal on the knees

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: What's better for Quad mass? Barbell Hack Squats or Front Squats?

I don't FEEL a powerful sensation in my quads
    Never rely on how a lift "feels". All that matters are results - are you or are you not progressing toward one or more of your goals? If your goal is strength, are you getting stronger? If your goal is size, are you getting bigger? If your goal is cutting fat, are you getting leaner?
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Re: What's better for Quad mass? Barbell Hack Squats or Front Squats?

Originally posted by MiloMan
    Never rely on how a lift "feels". All that matters are results - are you or are you not progressing toward one or more of your goals? If your goal is strength, are you getting stronger? If your goal is size, are you getting bigger? If your goal is cutting fat, are you getting leaner?
    is this a generic reply? i've read it before (or i'm going crazy )
    anyway, i think front squats are better

jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrs1979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I may be in the minority here but I truly believe front squats > back squats.

milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) milo34 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by jrs1979
    for quad growth i agree- at least from personal experience. for me, back squats focus more on the glutes and lower back.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    fronjt squats.

btw, hack squats VERY brutal on the knees
    agree

jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jino is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ????? First time I've heard that in my life... and why leg extensions? The best exercises are the basic compound free weight ones....
    Last edited by jino; 07-06-2004 at 04:14 AM.

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you serious? I dare you to find anyone with massive quads who says squats aren't good.

Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Matt_RX7 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i was doing leg ext for ages as my main leg excersie and they hardly grew, then i started doing squats and my legs have grown more in the last 6 months than ever before.

Good answers guys, thanks. Yeah I tried doing barbell hack squats today and they are brutal on the knees!! Looks like it'll be front squats

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Good answers guys, thanks. Yeah I tried doing barbell hack squats today and they are brutal on the knees!! Looks like it'll be front squats
    front squats rule

SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10) SEVEREDTIES is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    why dont u guys quit crying and do some heavy bb or db lunges and high step ups...

Originally posted by Stagger
    Are you serious? I dare you to find anyone with massive quads who says squats aren't good.
    i'll just repeat what i said before since no one since to be reading...

compound lifts, then or after isolation lifts. After he finishes his squats and his quads aren't near tired yet, are you going to tell him to do more squats? and then what? more squats? you want to overload each muscle as much as possible, and if that isn't happening, then growth is slowed.
    Last edited by bigredlemon; 07-06-2004 at 04:07 PM.

Originally posted by SEVEREDTIES
    why dont u guys quit crying and do some heavy bb or db lunges and high step ups...
    balance issues once you start using a lot of weight

i'll just repeat what i said before since no one since to be reading...

compound lifts, then or after isolation lifts. After he finishes his squats and his quads aren't near tired yet, are you going to tell him to do more squats? and then what? more squats? you want to overload each muscle as much as possible, and if that isn't happening, then growth is slowed.
    I still don't understand why so many people have to do all these super-duper isolation exercises. I repeat my previous sentiment: Increase your squat from 200 to 400 and your quads will be bigger. Step-ups do kick ass, though.
    -Abraham Maslow

-Lyle McDonald

-Charlie Francis

balance issues once you start using a lot of weight
    Yet another reason to stay away from the Smith and Leg Press machines.
    -Abraham Maslow

-Lyle McDonald

-Charlie Francis

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by jrs1979
    you're right though

vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanzekin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    whats the best substitute for Fronts Squats in your opinion ?

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vanzekin View Post
    whats the best substitute for Fronts Squats in your opinion ?
    I'm sure in the past 13 years he figured it out..m
    OG

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jasonk282 View Post
    I'm sure in the past 13 years he figured it out..m
    I would have to agree
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671