Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Location: Northern California...near SanFransisco where we dump supplements off the golden gate bridge into shark infested ocean water because they are worthless like womans rights organizations
    ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

DIET COKE/diet soda for that matter....... HELP**

Ok question so Im in a friendly argument with my co worker about diet coke and how she says it is ok for you because there is zero sugar blah blah well there is alot of 0's on the label but also there is alot of unlisted facts on the can im sure...

so WHATS so bad about diet coke???
    I know it is horrible for you but what makes it so bad?

Thanks*ltll*

(weird thread i know)
    do not flame throw me i shaved my arms 3 hours ago so my hair will not catch fire so flaming me would be a bad idea....
    l.t.l.l. stands for LEO THE LOWER LIP
    remember that screw you're girls birthday...

hxcsince10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Numerous factors -- from lack of exercise to eating too many calories to genetics -- contribute to obesity. Soda pop adds unnecessary, non-nutritious calories to the diet, though it has not been possible to prove that it (or any other individual food) is responsible for the excess calories that lead to obesity. However, one recent study found that soft drinks provide more calories to overweight youths than to other youths. The difference was most striking among teenage boys: Soda pop provides 10.3% of the calories consumed by overweight boys, but only 7.6% of calories consumed by other boys. There was no consistent pattern of differences with regard to intake of calories, fat, or several other factors. Because the major ingredients in sodas are carbonated water and syrup, they are, for the most part, nutritionally empty foods.

http://www.cspinet.org/sodapop/liquid_candy.htm

There is a good link that should help you out with ALL the info about this stuff. It is verry interesting...
    Squat till' you puke!

gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by hxcsince10
    Numerous factors -- from lack of exercise to eating too many calories to genetics -- contribute to obesity. Soda pop adds unnecessary, non-nutritious calories to the diet, though it has not been possible to prove that it (or any other individual food) is responsible for the excess calories that lead to obesity. However, one recent study found that soft drinks provide more calories to overweight youths than to other youths. The difference was most striking among teenage boys: Soda pop provides 10.3% of the calories consumed by overweight boys, but only 7.6% of calories consumed by other boys. There was no consistent pattern of differences with regard to intake of calories, fat, or several other factors. Because the major ingredients in sodas are carbonated water and syrup, they are, for the most part, nutritionally empty foods.

http://www.cspinet.org/sodapop/liquid_candy.htm

There is a good link that should help you out with ALL the info about this stuff. It is verry interesting...
    Good link but his question was about diet sodas
    The Holy Trinity: Diet, weight training and cardio
    If you don't Squat or Deadlift, don't ask what supps will help you gain mass.

"Strength and wisdom are not opposing values." - Bill Clinton

About to feel the WRAATH™ jer @h2o's Avatar
    jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50) jer @h2o will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, one bad thing that I just found out about diet soda is, with my condition anyway(ulcerative colitis), it contributes to kiddney stones.
    Doesn't sound good to me.
    "I have killed two people since midnight. I haven't slept in over 24 hours. So maybe you should be a little more afraid of me than you are now".

-Jack Bauer (24)

CONTROLLED LABS - PURPLE WRAATH tester
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747150

Lightning log.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=8704265#post8704265

impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50) impossible702 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    diet soda is a blessing. i just posted something like this in another thread, i love diet soda. it is almost too good to be true. some people may have bad reactions to the aspartame and then others wont. im the lucky one who wont...woohoo, im having a diet cherry coke right now, it is quite good!

pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally posted by gfletch
    Good link but his question was about diet sodas
    I guess you didnt read far enough...

Tooth Decay, Kidney Stones, and addictive substances (caffiene), Bones and Osteoporosis (for instance "Drinking 12 ounces of caffeine-containing soft drink causes the loss of about 20 milligrams of calcium")

It is soda in general however there is plenty of meat in there about soda (even without sugar)...

I dont think soda is cool at all. I cant find it on the internet but it was on the discovery channel. Those guys who do weird experiments (like the effect of the stomach when filled with poprocks and coke... they used a pig stomach). They put a tooth inside a cup and filled it with soda. The tooth was nearly gone within 24hrs. CRAZY!!
    Squat till' you puke!

I like this study however basicly what it is saying is "choose the lesser crappy drink over the sugar laden crappy drink". Overal soda just is not good. Its empty calories and does you no good nutritionaly. However if you HAVE TO have a soda when you are out or durring dinner the caffiene free sugar free one would be the way to go in my opinion.
    Squat till' you puke!

pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by hxcsince10
    I like this study however basicly what it is saying is "choose the lesser crappy drink over the sugar laden crappy drink". Overal soda just is not good. Its empty calories and does you no good nutritionaly. However if you HAVE TO have a soda when you are out or durring dinner the caffiene free sugar free one would be the way to go in my opinion.
    There is nothing wrong with drinking a diet soda with a meal. If you are on a calorie restricted diet, caffeine can increase thermogenesis. I would always pick an artifical sweetner above a regular sweetened drink. If more restaurants would carry diet spite/7up then that would probably be the best choice for those who are caffeine sensitive. Or decafe icetea if they have it.

Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by pogue
    There is nothing wrong with drinking a diet soda with a meal. If you are on a calorie restricted diet, caffeine can increase thermogenesis. I would always pick an artifical sweetner above a regular sweetened drink. If more restaurants would carry diet spite/7up then that would probably be the best choice for those who are caffeine sensitive. Or decafe icetea if they have it.
    yes, and in addition to caffeine's thermogenic boost it also increases muscle performance by increasing the muscle's ability to utilize calcium durring contractions. Which is why calcium supplementation is essential when lots of caffeine is consumed.

caffeine rocks!
    Fatloss thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311486
    Fatloss post with attached diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=657290963&postcount=117

ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hmmm so about how many calories would a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi have in it?

And would Diet Pepsi be any better?

Originally posted by ajeh
    hmmm so about how many calories would a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi have in it?

And would Diet Pepsi be any better?
    Diet Pepsi has 0 calories. The only thing to look out for is the sodium content in it (and citric acid if you're on keto)

DerekB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nothin wrong with drinking Diet sodas.

Aspartame (the sweetener is diet sodas, and some yogurts ect) has been shown in SOME studies to be harmfull; but only in large doses equilvalent to about 12+ cans of diet soda every day over a period of time.

Drink up. I personally love diet coke (vanilla, cherry), mtn. dew, dr. pepper ect.

I usually have one a day inbetween meals, or while watching a movie ect.

Like stated above, just keep it in moderation esp. if on keto.

ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50) ajeh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was just asking about the Pepsi because I used to drink 2-4 litres of it a day and quit for maybe a month and drank nothing but water, but that didn't last and as I type this I'm drinking a 2L bottle of the stuff right now.

Here's another one, how bad does the diet stuff taste compared to the regualar kind? Pretty close or just nasty?

Originally posted by ajeh
    Here's another one, how bad does the diet stuff taste compared to the regualar kind? Pretty close or just nasty?
    You have to get used to it. But now I like the Diet versions a lot. The fountain versions taste better than the cans or bottles.

DerekB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You have to get used to it. But now I like the Diet versions a lot. The fountain versions taste better than the cans or bottles.
    Yup. After a month or so they taste great, and you actually get your taste buds back :P

Now regular soda tastes like syrup to me. Its just nastly.

I love the taste of diet soda now.

LordGladiator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do they affect definition? (cause of carbonation)
    ??
    Success is my only motherfukin option, failure is not.

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've asked this before about diet sodas: but what is phenylalanine? I've heard its real bad, causes cancer and stuff. Anyone got a link to anything?
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

Originally posted by brake
    I've asked this before about diet sodas: but what is phenylalanine? I've heard its real bad, causes cancer and stuff. Anyone got a link to anything?
    read the sticky on artifical sweetners at the top of this forum

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=291569

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry to break it to all you diet soda lovers, but the stuff is shyte. Not only is it garbage nutritionally (regardless of the fact it has no calories) in recent research it has been shown that soda (diet and regular) cause eso****eal cancer. Not only that, but all it is is weird chemicals. It's not something I want in my body as it has no benefits and lots of negatives. You have to choose for yourself though.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

Originally posted by Melkor
    Sorry to break it to all you diet soda lovers, but the stuff is shyte. Not only is it garbage nutritionally (regardless of the fact it has no calories) in recent research it has been shown that soda (diet and regular) cause eso****eal cancer. Not only that, but all it is is weird chemicals. It's not something I want in my body as it has no benefits and lots of negatives. You have to choose for yourself though.
    Let's see the studies

gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What the hell doesn't cause cancer anymore? I have yet to see any study that shows that ingesting moderate amounts of artificial sweetners causes cancer or any of the other things people throw out there.
    The Holy Trinity: Diet, weight training and cardio
    If you don't Squat or Deadlift, don't ask what supps will help you gain mass.

"Strength and wisdom are not opposing values." - Bill Clinton

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was just looking for the studies, couldn't find them but was interrupted by the kids wanting to do fireworks...

It actually was not the sweeteners that were supposed to be causing the cancer, they were uncertain as to why it caused such an increase. They believe it had to do with carbonation disturbing the cells of the throat if I remember correctly. I'll spend some more time looking tomorrow.

Will it make any difference to anyone if I post the links or not? Would it make you quit drinking the stuff? Because if not I'd rather not waste 1/2 an hour looking.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was just looking for the studies, couldn't find them but was interrupted by the kids wanting to do fireworks...

It actually was not the sweeteners that were supposed to be causing the cancer, they were uncertain as to why it caused such an increase. They believe it had to do with carbonation disturbing the cells of the throat if I remember correctly. I'll spend some more time looking tomorrow.

Will it make any difference to anyone if I post the links or not? Would it make you quit drinking the stuff? Because if not I'd rather not waste 1/2 an hour looking.
    I only drink around 3-4 cups a week anyway. It would be good to see it though
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by DerekB
    Yup. After a month or so they taste great, and you actually get your taste buds back :P

Now regular soda tastes like syrup to me. Its just nastly.

I love the taste of diet soda now.
    yeah i can't stand drinking regular soda and that's exactly how i describe it...like drinking syrup
    Fatloss thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311486
    Fatloss post with attached diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=657290963&postcount=117

Stravinsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Better up your water intake if your into drinking soda, be it regular or diet.

A can of average soda runs at a ph of 2.8 due to its phosphoric acid content

To neutralise this acid (our bodie's blood must stay slightly akaline - just above 7 or you die) your going to use up alkaline minerals and fluid - or:

You can drink 32 glasses of water with a ph of 7 which will do the trick.

Else the acid will store as fat, or be eliminated via the skin with acne, boils etc.

Great stuff...soda.

Originally posted by Stravinsk
    Better up your water intake if your into drinking soda, be it regular or diet.

A can of average soda runs at a ph of 2.8 due to its phosphoric acid content

To neutralise this acid (our bodie's blood must stay slightly akaline - just above 7 or you die) your going to use up alkaline minerals and fluid - or:

You can drink 32 glasses of water with a ph of 7 which will do the trick.

Else the acid will store as fat, or be eliminated via the skin with acne, boils etc.

Great stuff...soda.
    Please back up your statements with evidence. Ingesting acidic soft drinks does not change the acid content in your blood. Acid does not store itself as fat or turn into acne

Stravinsk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Please back up your statements with evidence. Ingesting acidic soft drinks does not change the acid content in your blood. Acid does not store itself as fat or turn into acne
    I didn't say it turns your blood acid, I said that your blood must stay within a very tight, slightly alkaline (aka base) state or you will die. This is an uncontested fact. Any variation beyond this range is called either acidosis or alkanosis - and is deadly. Ask any M.D.

Because of the fact of a neccessary ph range of the blood, excess acids will either be stored or eliminated. Stored in tissues- if digestion is compromised and excersise is limited(as is the case with a good 70% of Obese America) or eliminated using alkaline minerals and channeled to elimination pathways : ( sweat, urine, feces, lungs etc. )

As our bodies are around 60- 70% water, and most of this is blood, and this blood must stay slightly alkaline or we die - the answer is obvious. Any excesses are either used, eliminated or stored in the tissues as fat. The same is true for excess sugar, for instance.

Fact 1: Human blood MUST stay slightly alkaline to support life.

Fact 2: In order to maintain this slightly alkaline level, the human body will take excess acid and either:

A: Store it in the tissues
    B: Eliminate it via elimination pathways after chelation with alkaline(base) minerals

Check out this sites own article on muscle soreness here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa77.htm

It will give you a brief tutorial supporting both facts, in relation to a particular acid build up - lactic acid from working out.

(keep in mind that this is only one type of excess acid the body works to eliminate - in this case - in the muscles)

If this what your body does to eliminate lactic acid from the muscles, what do you think it does when it encounters excess acid elsewhere?

I didn't say it turns your blood acid, I said that your blood must stay within a very tight, slightly alkaline (aka base) state or you will die. This is an uncontested fact. Any variation beyond this range is called either acidosis or alkanosis - and is deadly. Ask any M.D.
    Your assertion was consuming diet soft drinks changes the acidity of your blood. Regardless of whether or not the blood needs to stay in a certain ph range is irrelevant to whether or not soda causes this.

Fact 2: In order to maintain this slightly alkaline level, the human body will take excess acid and either:

A: Store it in the tissues
    B: Eliminate it via elimination pathways after chelation with alkaline(base) minerals
    Prove it. Back up your claims with studies. I want to see medical literature showing that the acidity from diet soda has to be stored in tissue or excreted.

It will give you a brief tutorial supporting both facts, in relation to a particular acid build up - lactic acid from working out.

(keep in mind that this is only one type of excess acid the body works to eliminate - in this case - in the muscles)

If this what your body does to eliminate lactic acid from the muscles, what do you think it does when it encounters excess acid elsewhere?
    Lactic acid is a by product of weight training and is responsible for gluconeogenesis in the blood. It is necessary for muscle growth and strength. Lactic acid has nothing to do with the amount of carbonated soda you drink and is completely different from the blood acidity you are referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid

On a related note. Coca Cola does not dissolve teeth:

Coca-Cola contains acids (such as citric acid and phosphoric acid) which will eventually dissolve items such as teeth (given enough time), but so do plenty of other substances we commonly ingest (such as orange juice). The concentration of acid in these products is so low that our digestive systems are easily capable of coping with it with no harm to us.
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

The acids in Coca Cola are not harmful:

Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid and phosphoric acid; however, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you'll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)

Besides, the gastric acid in your stomach is much stronger than any of the acids in Coca-Cola, so the Coca-Cola is harmless.
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Foods and drinks DO NOT change the acidity of your blood
    You should not believe that it matters whether foods are acidic or alkaline, because no foods change the acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes.

All foods that leave your stomach are acidic. Then they enter your intestines where secretions from your pancreas neutralize the stomach acids. So no matter what you eat, the food in stomach is acidic and the food in the intestines is alkaline.

You cannot change the acidity of any part of your body except your urine. Your bloodstream and organs control acidity in a very narrow range. Anything that changed acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you. Promoters of these products claim that cancer cells cannot live in an alkaline environment and that is true, but neither can any of the other cells in your body.
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...SH/coral2.html

A more realistic concern is the effect of the acid in these drinks to cause tooth decay when combined with sugar. The idea that citric acid in a 8oz soft drink could cause you to change the acidity of your blood is completely ubsurd.