synergy9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what kind of weights program is MOST effective for gaining strength; not mass..

as a paddler where strength to mass ratio is most important, what sort of weights routine would you guys recommend to maximise strength gain and keep mass gain to a low.

strength should not be just explosive strength but also endurance, a good mix of both..

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    which one do you want?

strength? Or endurance?

Just keep the reps low and the weights nice and high. That's basically my problem right now. My strength is going up but not my size. So I'm gonna have to increase the reps. I need some size...
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1-3 reps should give max strength gains and very little size gains. It'll be mostly increased neuromuscular efficiency, and any growth will be all good, contractile growth, not useless mass.

RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've thought about this and this is exactly what I would do.

Two workouts per week on Monday and Friday. If strength decreases or stagnates increase the time between workouts. Chose some core exercises for the muscles you want to build. Go to failure or as close as comfortable. Only do one set plus some negatives after you've reached CNS failure. Do drop sets to increase muscular endurance. When you stagnate do negative only training with supramaximal weight plus drop sets. When you stagnate with that do partial range of motion and isometric holds.

Never allow your body to decondition to a load. Start at the heavy weights right away so the RBE takes effect immediately to minimize hypertrophy. Use very small increments(platemates).

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by RotatorCuff
    I've thought about this and this is exactly what I would do.

Two workouts per week on Monday and Friday. If strength decreases or stagnates increase the time between workouts. Chose some core exercises for the muscles you want to build. Go to failure or as close as comfortable. Only do one set plus some negatives after you've reached CNS failure. Do drop sets to increase muscular endurance. When you stagnate do negative only training with supramaximal weight plus drop sets. When you stagnate with that do partial range of motion and isometric holds.

Never allow your body to decondition to a load. Start at the heavy weights right away so the RBE takes effect immediately to minimize hypertrophy. Use very small increments(platemates).
    If you want to gain maximal strength, stay away from going to failure. Check out the PL section for some info on Westside Barbell.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10) RotatorCuff is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I thought the three methods that westside used were performing one rep maximums, going to failure, and using dynamic effort. Going to failure can cause protective mechanisms that limit force output. I've observed this first hand. However, it would also reduce the deconditioning of the CNS, allowing you to wait longer between training sessions and thus minimizing hypertrophy.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by RotatorCuff
    I thought the three methods that westside used were performing one rep maximums, going to failure, and using dynamic effort. Going to failure can cause protective mechanisms that limit force output. I've observed this first hand. However, it would also reduce the deconditioning of the CNS, allowing you to wait longer between training sessions and thus minimizing hypertrophy.
    http://musclemonthly.com/articles/00...werlifting.htm
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: what kind of weights program is MOST effective for gaining strength; not mass..

Originally posted by synergy9
    strength should not be just explosive strength but also endurance, a good mix of both..
    strength is the opposite of endurance
    train one and loose the other

strength = powerlifting = 6 reps or less
    endurance = lifting all day = 15 reps or more
    Fatloss thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311486
    Fatloss post with attached diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=657290963&postcount=117