Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 125 :: What Are The Best Supplements For Recovery?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!

TOPIC: What Are The Best Supplements For Recovery?

For the week of: May 30th - June 5th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When training you are beating your body up so it will adapt and become stronger. However during this process the body starts to break down especially if a recovery plan is not in place.

What are the best supplements for recovery?

What are the worst supplements for recovery?

What is a good daily/weekly plan for including those recovery products?

Bonus: Have you used this plan in the past/present and what success did you have with it? Would you have changed anything?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    Last edited by webmaster; 05-30-2007 at 01:41 PM.
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000) burningNun is just really nice. (+1000)

Protein. Lots of it. Protein shakes are good but there is nothing wrong with ‘normal food’ protein, such as meat, fish, eggs and milk. Eat a lot of it. Rest is the single most important factor in recovery, which seems obvious but since we are talking about supplements there is a danger that some newb will decide ‘hey, I take in 300g protein per day and I take creatine and vitamins, therefore I can deadlift heavy two days in a row.’ This is wrong and dangerous.

For most athletes, this would be anabolic steroids. It doesn’t need explaining that these can get you disqualified from any competition you are in that requires drug testing. If you are a teenager or in some cases early 20s (ie. If you are still growing) they can wreak havoc on your vertical growth. Take too much testosterone and your body will start to convert it into oestrogen. This is bad news for those of us who don’t want breasts.

Whilst this is not a supplement per-se, over-reliance on supplements can cause problems. No matter how much protein or creatine you take in it is no substitute for proper rest.

Finally, creatine monohydrate is known for increasing water retention rather than significantly improving recovery, and if taken in excess it can cause dehydration. If you want to use creatine, use CEE instead. Despite this, neither of these ‘side effects’ are anywhere near as permanent or damaging as the consequences of taking steroids or trying to use supplements instead of rest.

My idea of a good diet is simple enough that it doesn’t have to be planned down to each meal. Eat at least 3 meals per day with snacks in between (this is for those of us who can’t fit in the ideal 6 meals). Every meal should contain protein in some form, and eat plenty of vegetables for vitamins. For supplements, whey is good for taking after workouts and first thing in the morning. Drink a pint or so of milk before going to bed. This is great for reducing DOMS if you have to be active the next day. (I imagine casein supplements would have the same or increased effects but milk seems sufficient so that’s what I am sticking with for now.)

NEVER WORK ANY MUSCLE GROUP ON 2 CONSECUTIVE DAYS.

Bonus: Have you used this plan in the past/present and what success did you have with it? Would you have changed anything?

I am practicing exactly what I have preached in the above post. I have put on about 20lbs of muscle in 6 months, and gone from being a skinny little **** to... someone who is still a skinny little **** (~5’7” ~140lbs) by your standards, but compared to the out of shape people at school I am in much better shape. I am no longer afraid of big guys when I play hockey, and I throw my weight around and am in general a more effective player. In this respect I have had plenty of success and regarding recovery I would change very little, other than getting nicer tasting whey.

Registered User dumbbellfanatic's Avatar
    dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumbbellfanatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whey Protein- Whey protein digests quickly and helps deliver amino acids to muscles after a workout

Glutamine- Glutamine stores are down to 50% after training. Stocking up on glutamine after a workout replenishes these stores and helps to increase growth hormone levels which are very anabolic.

Antioxidants- These rid the body of free radicals which cause extensive damage to cells. Antioxidants provide energy and decrease recovery times drastically.

Caffeine products and creatine are the worst products since both claim to increase energy. Most people are mislead to believing that taking these products allows them to workout more frequently. This time of behaviour leads to overtraining, which slows recovery to a a snails pace.

Eat more than enough calories and be sure to get 1.5-2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. Include 1-2 scoops of whey along with 10g or more of glutamine in a post workout shake. Sleep more than 7hrs and try napping for a few minutes in the afternoon as well to not only speed recovery but put yourself in a good mood.

I include this plan on a daily basis to make sure that my body is getting everything it needs to recover. Sleep has been the key for me. Not getting enough sleep means that you won't gain and I learnt that the hard way. Always eat properly and get enough rest between workouts.
    eat, lift, eat, sleep
    repeat.

Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000)

It's a fact people get tired, everyone including professional athletes to the average joe. Your body takes a brutal beating after every workout and your body is depleted of nutrients. Supplements greatly help your body recover from the grueling workouts and avoid overtraining. Some supplements which I recomend that anyone can take for recover are:

Whey Protein- Protein overall is a building block of muscle. Whey Protein is a perfect supplement after workouts and to recover, It is stocked with a good source of protein and key amino acids. It absorbs into the body quickly and fuels your body with protein which your body yearns for after workouts.

Protein- Whey Protein listed above is an excellent source of recovery supplementation, however any protein source will help your recover. Protein comes from many sources such as soy protein, casein protein, whey protein, animal products, or from many different sources. Protein can be found in many foods, try to consume atleast 1 gram of protein for each lb of bodyweight.

Carbohydrates- Consuming alot of carbohydrates after a grueling workout can restore your body's fuel. It is also stated that simple carbohydrates such as dextrose can spike your insulin for more effective absorbtion of nutrients in your body.

Creatine- A excellent supplement which your body could use to refuel in creatine stores in a quick way by supplementation. Be sure to drink alot of fluids to prevent dehydration. Hydration is also key with or without the use of creatine. Your body needs to replace the fluids that it loses in tough workouts.

Multivitamins- Multivitamins provide your body with key vitamins which help your body function.

Rest- The stage where your body can recover. It is crucial that every athlete has enough rest. Avoid training the same body parts twice in a row which may cause overtraining.

The Worst Supplements for recovery?

Steroids - Steroids do provide good recover processes, the benefits of steroids are almost unacievable using natural products. This benefit does come with a con though. Steroids have numerous side-effects which can mess up your body mechanics forever.

Caffiene- Caffiene provides the quick energy boost for workouts, but it does not benefit recovery. Many people confuse this fact. Caffiene can also tamper with the ability to sleep which will cut the amount of rest you can get.

Eat six healthy meals, be sure to include some sort of protein source. Vegetables and carbohydrates along with the protein source is a fine complementation.

Drink atleast a gallon of water everyday. Your body needs those fluids it loses, and if you take creatine, it helps your keep hydrated.

Take your multivitamin everyday in the morning or before you workout. If you take creatine take your creatine in the morning on off-days or when you wake up.

After you workout, Take your creatine supplement, and wait 15-30 minutes later to take your whey protein. If you have a protein/creatine mixture you can consume your mixture in one sitting. Consume dextrose mixed with creatine for an extra absorbtion process.

Before your sleep be sure to consume a casein protein source. It is a slow breaking down protein which is excellent for when you sleep.

Be sure to catch atleast 8 hours of sleep, your body needs the time and rest to recover and rebuild your fatigued muscles.

I have used this plan and I still use this plan. It has incredibly sped up my recovery process compared from before i have used this plan. It let my muscles recovery at a quick pace and made my body ready for the next workout. I have worked out for a little more than a year, and have gained over 40 lbs although it is not all muscle. I am pleased with the results and I have improved in my athletics and my lifting numbers have improved considerably. I would not change anything in this plan, it was successful on my part and it has worked for many others.
    Last edited by SMIN; 06-04-2007 at 02:58 PM.
    .:Ace50 Crew:.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50) max_d_ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Whey Protein - You just can't beat this stuff. It's probably the single, most important supplement a bodybuilder can have. It helps the body produce the amino acids needed to build musle tissue, it's cheap, it doesn't taste bad, and it comes from milk, another great protein source. What's not to like about this stuff?

Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) - Not only will BCAA's reduce DOMS, these will help reduce fatigue during your workout and result in great strength gains.

Glutamine - You just had a tough workout or 5 mile jog had at the gym. Would you want some of that to go to waste? No, of course not! Well, glutamine is the supplement you need. It helps to replenishes the body's supply of amino acids and therefore helps to build muscle.

Multivitamins - These are a must for bodybuilders. They have all the great amino acids to help with recovery and muslce building, and their cheap!

Caffeine - Don't take this stuff! Yes, it gives you a great energy boost and you might be able to lift 5 pounds more on your bench for one set, but the positives just don't outweigh the negatives.

Iron - It's better to lift this metal than swallow it. There may be a link between high iron levels and heart disease. Eat meat and you're iron-fortified enough. Waste of money to buy this as a supplemet.

Muscles grow during the resting phase only. So, recovery is a key issue in bodybuilding, sports training, and general physical maintenance.

- Work only one muscle group per workout. This provides sufficient "recovery space" between work sessions, and it is the only way to gain sufficient training intensity.

- Eat a well-balanced diet and insert the recovery supplements when needed into your diet.

- Go to bed at about the same time every night. This consistency improves both the quality of your sleep and your ability to fall asleep.

- Have milk or any solid casein source before bed.

- Practice good form at all times. It takes ages to recover from an injury.

BONUS: Have you used this plan in the past/present and what success did you have with it? Would you have changed anything?

Yes, I have used this plan and still do to this day. I gained a good 25 lbs. in 4 months with this plan and probably about 15-20 of it was lean muscle. Of course this was with a proper diet and constant training program. At the moment, no I'm not going to change anything unless I see my body getting used or adapting to the things I have been doing.

benn105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Topic of the week 125 answers

Here it is!
    Attached Files

LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LJ57 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's mine:
    Attached Files
    "From apes or sons of God, let every act be sacred. " Killing Joke

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If I don't post it now, I'll forget to later! Good luck everyone
    Attached Files
    I remember being relevant.

mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recovery

Here ya go
    Attached Files
    Nothin to it, but to do it

llcooljz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

JZ's recovery tips

BEST SUPPLEMENTS

1. Protein-Without a surplus of protein, your body simply won't recover from workouts let alone build new muscle tissue. A good recommendation is to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. So a 200 lb person would take in 200 g protein divided up into 5-7 meals throughout the day.
    Whey is the best source of protein. It is the quickest to digest and has the highest bioavailablity rating. Other excellent sources of protein include lean beef, eggs, chicken, fish, skim milk, cottage cheese, egg white powders, and casein powders. Casein is ideal at bedtime due to its slow digestion.

2. Carbs- Adequate carbohydrates are needed to replenish glycogen stores to ensure that your muscles have enough energy for the next workout.
    Good sources of low-glycemic carbs include oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, vegetables, fruits, yams, and whole grain breads.

3. Essential Fatty Acids (EFA)- Certain fats such as omega 3 are very beneficial to bodybuilders. They support the burning of fats for energy rather than storage, along with supporting building of lean tissue!
    They prevent inflammation which helps the muscles recover quicker.
    Fish oil and flax oil are highly concetrated sources of omega 3. Also available in capsule form.

4. Multivitamin-Your body needs sufficient levels of all the vitamins and minerals or performance and recovery may suffer. Many of these products also contain antioxidants which get rid of free radicals that damage tissue. Additional vitamin C after exercise will reduce high cortisol levels.

5. ZMA- Two minerals that athletes are commonly deficient in are zinc and magnesium due to food sources being processed and depletion through intense training. Magnesium competes for absorption with calcium, so thats another reason why the magnesium in a multi may not be enough.
    ZMA has highly absorbable forms of these 2 minerals along with vitamin B6 to further enhance absorption. Zinc is needed for optimal testosterone production, which is essential to recovery and growth. Magnesium is needed for the body to gain a good restful night's sleep.

6. Post-workout shakes- A combination of whey protein and high glycemic carbs are desired at this time to combat cortisol, and raise insulin levels to shuttle the protein and carbs into the muscles to stop muscle catabolism and start the anabolic muscle repairing process ASAP.
    A good recommendation is to have a 2:1 Carb-protein ratio. 30-50 g whey protein and 60-100 g high glycemic carbs such as dextrose or maltodextrin will work great. Even better to start the recovery process quicker is to split that shake in 2 parts. Consume half immediately before lifting and the other half immediately after. Additional amounts of L-glutamine and branched chain amino acids added at this time will maximaize your recovery.

7. ZMA- Two minerals that athletes are commonly deficient in are zinc and magnesium due to food sources being processed and depletion through intense training. Magnesium competes for absorption with calcium, so thats another reason why the magnesium in a multi may not be enough.
    ZMA has highly absorbable forms of these 2 minerals along with vitamin B6 to further enhance absorption. Zinc is needed for optimal testosterone production, which is essential to recovery and growth. Magnesium is needed for the body to gain a good restful night's sleep.

8. Nitric Oxide stimulators- Substances used to stimulate the produciton of Nitric Oxide are L-arganine, arganine alpha ketoglutarate, and citrulline malate. Nitric oxide enhances recovery because it is a hemodilator which opens up the pathways to deliver nutrients to the muscles more efficiently.

WORST SUPPLEMENTS

1. Steroids- Sure, these will help you recover from today's workout, but your body will pay the price down the road. Steroids have numerous negative health risks paving a dangerous road you don't want to travel.

2. Alcohol- Alcohol and bodybuilding do not belong in the same sentence. Alcohol doesn't allow your body to reach the deep stages of sleep that are so important for repairing of your muscles. This is also when most of your growth hormone is released. Alcohol impairs protein synthesis since your liver is more concerned about getting rid of the poison being poured into your body. Alcohol reduces testosterone levels for days after consumption.

3. Drugs- Nicotine, caffeine, and marijuana all affect the central nervous system and weaken your sleep system. Chronic use of these will no doubt affect your body's ability to bounce back from workouts day in and day out even with proper nutrition in place.

4. Stress- This is not a "supplement" in that you are not going to go to a store or order a "bottle of stress" online, but excessive stress leads to increased cortisol levels and decreased testosterone levels. Aside from shifting your hormones from anabolic to catabolic, stress will negatively impact your sleeping pattern and ability to achieve the deep sleep required.
    It can come from work, school, relationships....but the best thing to do is just relax and deal with the stress so that it does not affect your health.

PROGRAM...Putting it all together

1. Consume a balance of high quality protein, low-glycemic carbs, and healthy fatty acids spread out in 5-7 meals.

2. Take a multivitamin formula that has antioxidants. Add Vitamin C post-workout and take ZMA before bedtime.

3. Make a workout shake consisting of whey and carbs. Extra glutamine and BCAA is beneficial. Mix your creatine into this formula for optimal uptake.
    Nitric Oxide can be taken pre-workout to increase vasodilation.

4. Lastly, avoid/minimize alcohol, drugs and stress while getting a solid 7-8 hrs sleep each night.

5. Lift hard and GROW!!!

MY PERSONAL USE

I first gained 20 lbs in a few months as a newbie before being stuck at that weight for a year. After getting serious and following all these guidelines, I gained another solid 20 lbs of muscle the following year. My only change is that I haven't tried nitric oxide yet, so I will be trying that soon.

Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Owen70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hope yall like it
    Attached Files
    "I'm hungry. All the time. And that's good." Erik Fankhouser pre-contest

"I'm going to live forever or die trying"-Joseph Keller

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=281366131&posted=1#post281366131
    DRIVEN SPORTS LEAN XTREME

"In Ferrum, Ad Veritas"-Mel Siff

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."-Paracelsus

spikedout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spikedout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spikedout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Glutamine! For the win! I swear its cut my recovery times in half, and the intensity of my soreness post workout has decreased ALOT. I love it!

Take one 5g scoop right after your workout mixed in with your protein shake, and then another scoop right before bed!

If you happen to forget the one after your workout its ok, but its imperative to have the one before bed!!! Do it regularly and u'll see the results!

Just realized i messed up when copying and pasting from notepad onto this page and ZMA appeared twice instead of creatine for # 7.

JZ's Recovery Tips

BEST SUPPLEMENTS

1. Protein-Without a surplus of protein, your body simply won't recover from workouts let alone build new muscle tissue. A good recommendation is to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. So a 200 lb person would take in 200 g protein divided up into 5-7 meals throughout the day.
    Whey is the best source of protein. It is the quickest to digest and has the highest bioavailablity rating. Other excellent sources of protein include lean beef, eggs, chicken, fish, skim milk, cottage cheese, egg white powders, and casein powders. Casein is ideal at bedtime due to its slow digestion.

2. Carbs- Adequate carbohydrates are needed to replenish glycogen stores to ensure that your muscles have enough energy for the next workout.
    Good sources of low-glycemic carbs include oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, vegetables, fruits, yams, and whole grain breads.

3. Essential Fatty Acids (EFA)- Certain fats such as omega 3 are very beneficial to bodybuilders. They support the burning of fats for energy rather than storage, along with supporting building of lean tissue!
    They prevent inflammation which helps the muscles recover quicker.
    Fish oil and flax oil are highly concetrated sources of omega 3. Also available in capsule form.

4. Multivitamin-Your body needs sufficient levels of all the vitamins and minerals or performance and recovery may suffer. Many of these products also contain antioxidants which get rid of free radicals that damage tissue. Additional vitamin C after exercise will reduce high cortisol levels.

5. ZMA- Two minerals that athletes are commonly deficient in are zinc and magnesium due to food sources being processed and depletion through intense training. Magnesium competes for absorption with calcium, so thats another reason why the magnesium in a multi may not be enough.

6. Post-workout shakes- A combination of whey protein and high glycemic carbs are desired at this time to combat cortisol, and raise insulin levels to shuttle the protein and carbs into the muscles to stop muscle catabolism and start the anabolic muscle repairing process ASAP.
    A good recommendation is to have a 2:1 Carb-protein ratio. 30-50 g whey protein and 60-100 g high glycemic carbs such as dextrose or maltodextrin will work great. Even better to start the recovery process quicker is to split that shake in 2 parts. Consume half immediately before lifting and the other half immediately after. Additional amounts of L-glutamine and branched chain amino acids added at this time will maximaize your recovery.

7. Creatine- This may be the best supplement out there for its multiple benefits. It aids recovery by replenishing ATP stores, the muscles major source of anaerobic energy. There are creatine monohydrate powders and creatine capsules. Both methods are very effective. Taking creatine with sugars (i.e. post-workout) may enhance uptake into the muscle cells.

8. Nitric Oxide stimulators- Substances used to stimulate the produciton of Nitric Oxide are L-arganine, arganine alpha ketoglutarate, and citrulline malate. Nitric oxide enhances recovery because it is a hemodilator which opens up the pathways to deliver nutrients to the muscles more efficiently.

WORST SUPPLEMENTS

1. Steroids- Sure, these will help you recover from today's workout, but your body will pay the price down the road. Steroids have numerous negative health risks paving a dangerous road you don't want to travel.

2. Alcohol- Alcohol and bodybuilding mix about as well as your grandma out on a blind date with 50 cent. Alcohol doesn't allow your body to reach the deep stages of sleep that are so important for repairing of your muscles. This is also when most of your growth hormone is released. Alcohol impairs protein synthesis since your liver is more concerned about getting rid of the poison being poured into your body. Alcohol reduces testosterone levels for days after consumption.

3. Drugs- Nicotine, caffeine, and marijuana all affect the central nervous system and weaken your sleep system. Chronic use of these will no doubt affect your body's ability to bounce back from workouts day in and day out even with proper nutrition in place.

4. Stress- This is not a "supplement" in that you are not going to go to a store or order a "bottle of stress" online, but excessive stress leads to increased cortisol levels and decreased testosterone levels. Aside from shifting your hormones from anabolic to catabolic, stress will negatively impact your sleeping pattern and ability to achieve the deep sleep required.
    It can come from work, school, relationships....but the best thing to do is just relax and deal with the stress so that it does not affect your health.

PROGRAM...Putting it all together

1. Consume a balance of high quality protein, low-glycemic carbs, and healthy fatty acids spread out in 5-7 meals.

2. Take a multivitamin formula that has antioxidants. Add Vitamin C post-workout and take ZMA before bedtime.

3. Make a workout shake consisting of whey and carbs. Extra glutamine and BCAA is beneficial. Mix your creatine into this formula for optimal uptake.
    Nitric Oxide can be taken pre-workout to increase vasodilation.

4. Lastly, avoid/minimize alcohol, drugs and stress while getting a solid 7-8 hrs sleep each night.

5. Lift hard and GROW!!!

MY PERSONAL USE

I first gained 20 lbs in a few months as a newbie before being stuck at that weight for a year. After getting serious and following all these guidelines, I gained another solid 20 lbs of muscle the following year. My only change is that I haven't tried nitric oxide yet, so I will be trying that soon.

dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dropshot001 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    nitric oxide helps to a certain degree as it helps to get the nutrients in, but it needs to be used in tandem with protein and other foods.
    Lift hard, lift big, eat well.

very true, taking nitric oxide on a paris hilton diet would be unproductive

Registered User misteroctober3506's Avatar
    misteroctober3506 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up The Best Supplements for Recovery

The best for recovery for me is protein, glutamine, creatine, amd bcaa or amino acids. Any combo of would work well.

mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeynice2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is there a winner yet?
    Nothin to it, but to do it

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I remember being relevant.

Rockysen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what are the best supplements for recovery

TOPIC: What Are The Best Supplements For Recovery?
    1 carbohydrates - you need them more than anything else to recover your muscles and system after a hard workout.

2 whey protein- easily and quickly digest in muscles give your Hungary muscles instance food to help the grow

3 glutamine- best for recovery and growth, help you in boosting your growth hormone.

4 Beta-Alanine - amazing supplement for resistance and recovery. Beta-Alanine provides the stimulus to increase anaerobic and aerobic endurance and delays in muscular fatigue

5 Bcaa increase muscle synthesis help them grow quicker jump start recovery.

6 L Arginine-Arginine is considered to be key to efficient muscle metabolism because of its role in the transport, storage, and elimination of nitrogen.and help in transporting food to your muscles quicker

7 creatine only 5 grams a day will help your muscles need to grow and recover from stertorous exercise

8 Multivitamin your muscles need all the essential nutrients and mineral to recover and growth

9 casein- long lasting slow digesting protein rich in amino acid and glutamine must have supplements for recovery and growth

10 water- stay rehydrate all day, water is essential for living .

caffeine not good as a post workout recovery stack as it helps in reducing fat. it wont do any good in recovery

steroids- well it does help in recovery and help in producing raw muscles but it has a way more side effects. liver problems toxic acnes and many more not worth jumping on juice

1 take your supplements stack 1 thing in the morning with a good multivitamin
    20g whey,10g casein,2g creatine,4g glutamine,4g bcaa,3g L arginine,40 carbo
    mix all together and skull it lol

2 pre work out stack so you keep your recovery and energy on fingertips

1 4g Beta-Alanine,120mg caffeine,20g whey,3g creatine,4g bcaa,3g L arginine,20g dextrose
    4g glutamine

3 post work out stack
    1 4g Beta-Alanine,20g whey,3g creatine,4g bcaa,3g L arginine,20g dextrose
    4g glutamine

4 night time stack..
    20g whey,20g casein,4g glutamine,4g bcaa,3g L arginine,40 carbo
    mix all together and skull it lol

I have been using this stack for last 6weeks amazing results and recovery hay..
    i have put 3kilos of muscles on .
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Jhohny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whoa. . . You all guys are great. Thanks for sharing these information.
    really like that. . .

cfel420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drink lots of water, and eight hours of sleep!

shogun021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    protein and lots of water??

Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500) Seriouslifts900 is not very helpful. (-500)
    protein and myilk

suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Week 125 :: What are the best supplements for recovery?

It has been a wonderful contest. May I know there is more of this for present scenario. I would like this.

Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lukemain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like PHD recovery 2:1

Mhouliha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    MusclePharm Recon

bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbforlife1991 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    llllllllllll

wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) wmische9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Don't we all get enough protein

So I used to take protein mixed with creatine and all those other supps when I first started to workout and lift weights. I used Body Fortress with Creatine that was included in it.

I stopped using it and tried out Myofusion and I hated the taste of that plus made me gain a bit of weight.

So I went into Target and picked up EAS protein and cut out creatine and other stuff but still took glutamine.

After realizing that I get enough protein already and the glutamine stopped working, even if it did. I tried something I am sure we all have used before.

A 5 dollar small tub of Gatoraide from Target. Yep thats right. Half if not more than half the calories found in protein and gives you what your muscles and body needs. Take 3/4 of a scoop with 8 oz of water after working out. I feel great and am not gaining the weight or needing to cut the calories caused from taking protein.

So I would say Gatoraide after or even during workout!!!

Bren555 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use CNP PRO-RECOVER Straight after my workout . This really helps!