Ricker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

White rice bad for you?????

I have always thought that white rice is good for you. I was recently told that brown rice is really the only rice that is nutritious. My question is what is the difference and what makes white rice bad?

Or good for that matter. Thanks
    5'8"
    April 2004 // 165 lbs // Incline Bench 220 // Squat 320

Current // 180 lbs // Incline Bench 275 // Squat - 440

Ricker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    WOW, nobody huh?

come on, please help me out

Thanks
    5'8"
    April 2004 // 165 lbs // Incline Bench 220 // Squat 320

Current // 180 lbs // Incline Bench 275 // Squat - 440

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    white rice is lacking alot of the nutrients that brown rice has, it also has a higher-GI

max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10) max_Cady is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well here's all I know. The only proper bodybuilder i've ever personally known (Proper as in competed and won a few regional titles) is my brother-in-law. He used to often eat white rice, so im sure that there are worse things to eat.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    well of course there are worse things to eat
    there is worse things to eat than white bread too....

and i hate it when people say " well i know a bodybuilder than smokes/drinks/eats crap " so it must be ok to do anything they do

its all about doing the best for your body, not making excuses to eat something less than optimal!

its a fact, brown rice has more nutrients (more goodness!) and a lower-GI

katemonaco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    even though i do brown rice at times, it's usually white rice and i'm asian and only white rice are available in food places.

bigamit007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigamit007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigamit007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigamit007 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

not much of a difference

white rice is better to chew.. and frankly it all depends on the amount you eat ! white rice works for me, when it comes to bread, i eat only whole wheat or organic, never the plain white bread
    float like a butterfly
    sting like a bee

DigitalMP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    White rice is a high-GI carb (like white potatoes, white bread, and white pasta) that will digest faster than other carbs, and convert to sugar, being stored as fat, unless you take them close to workout time so you can covert these carbs into energy before they completely digest.

You also have the 'open hour' after your workout to eat high-GI carbs (still push to avoid saturated fat toppings and additives - white rice being those most tolerable fir this) to replenish your depleted glycogen level ASAP so they are ready for your next workout.

KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by DigitalMP
    White rice is a high-GI carb (like white potatoes, white bread, and white pasta) that will digest faster than other carbs, and convert to sugar, being stored as fat, unless you take them close to workout time so you can covert these carbs into energy before they completely digest.
    Correct. ALSO to note, brown rice has four times the insoluble fiber as white rice.

gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    (Excerpt taken from the first link listed below)
    Brown rice has a higher nutritional value when compared to the milled and polished rice (white rice). While the GI of the white and brown rice were similar the insulin response for brown rice was significantly lower than for white rice.

Also rice in general is more of a medium gi carb not a high gi. It does have a high glycemic load though.

http://arp.optimalhealthsystems.com/showeduc.asp?id=7

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...23,103,00.html

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...523,75,00.html
    The Holy Trinity: Diet, weight training and cardio
    If you don't Squat or Deadlift, don't ask what supps will help you gain mass.

"Strength and wisdom are not opposing values." - Bill Clinton

Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Maximum6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thailand White Jasmine Long Grain Rice has Gi. of 109 if cooked in rice cooker. I eat that for PWO...and i eat California (usa) long grain brown rice for other times..it has gi of 50.