HEAVYHITTA357 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HEAVYHITTA357 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

fast/slow twitch muscles??????

what is the difference in fast and slow twitch muscles????
    what muscles are commonly fast or slow twitch????
    can you train slow twitch to change to fast twitch???
    any help anyone can give me is appreciated

Location: Throw it up, hold it up, gun bust, 4 fingers up, two twisted in the middle with the thumb tuck
    Rodity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: fast/slow twitch muscles??????

Originally posted by HEAVYHITTA357
    Slow twitch fibers are for endurance, and fast twitch fibers are for explosiveness. The amount of each fiber in your muscles is purely genetic. If your muscles grow from lower reps, chances are you have more fast twitch fibers in that muscle. Likewise, if your muscles grow from higher reps, they have more slow twitch fibers in them.

Teppic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey have a look here

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jeff1.htm

and mayb try the workouts ive just started it so cant really say how well it works

EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EAE is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: fast/slow twitch muscles??????

You can do a google search if you want a detailed answer on their differences, but basically it's like Rodity said: Slow twitch = endurance, fast twitch = power. I think I've read that hybrid fibers can change depending on need, but I've also read some people say it's not possible for a fiber to change from faster twitch to slower twitch or vice versa.
    It doesn't really matter though, training for specific fiber types is pretty much pointless. Just train for your goals.

xdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: fast/slow twitch muscles??????

Originally posted by Rodity
    Slow twitch fibers are for endurance, and fast twitch fibers are for explosiveness. The amount of each fiber in your muscles is purely genetic. If your muscles grow from lower reps, chances are you have more fast twitch fibers in that muscle. Likewise, if your muscles grow from higher reps, they have more slow twitch fibers in them.
    ^^ bump

HEAVYHITTA357 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HEAVYHITTA357 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanx
    im not really a bodybuilder
    im just training to look good, be strong and be ready for bootcamp come october

milkl0ver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanx
    im not really a bodybuilder
    im just training to look good, be strong and be ready for bootcamp come october
    Training with heavy weights and low reps tend to increase the percentage of fast twitch fibers. If your not a bodybuilder and looking to build strength, try visiting the powerlifting forum.

ozza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No, heavy weights, low reps will increase the SIZE of fast-twitch fibres, not the % of them, you are born with a certain % of fast-twitch and slow-twitch in a muscle, you can't change that.

50¢ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm pretty sure you can slightly change the % of fast/slow twitch fibres. Thats what olympic athletes do muscle biopsies for. They get their fibre ratio via a biopsy, then they'll do mad training and get another biopsy to check their progress. I could be wrong, but I don't think so, because muscle biopsies would seem pretty pointless otherwise.

Interesting side note. The most explosive athletes in the world are olympic lifters. I read that at the last summer games, the best olympic lifter had a better vertical jump than the high jump winner, and could sprint 20 meters faster than the 100 meter champ. Thats some serious explosiveness.
    5'10"
    186 lbs
    Bench -- 395
    Squat -- 585 (Belt)
    Dead -- 590
    Clean -- 275 x 5
    1 Mile -- 4:35
    D1 Football

Originally posted by 50?
    I'm pretty sure you can slightly change the % of fast/slow twitch fibres. Thats what olympic athletes do muscle biopsies for. They get their fibre ratio via a biopsy, then they'll do mad training and get another biopsy to check their progress. I could be wrong, but I don't think so, because muscle biopsies would seem pretty pointless otherwise.

Interesting side note. The most explosive athletes in the world are olympic lifters. I read that at the last summer games, the best olympic lifter had a better vertical jump than the high jump winner, and could sprint 20 meters faster than the 100 meter champ. Thats some serious explosiveness.
    I really dont think that the best olympic lifter can sprint faster than the world's best 100 m sprinter because their times are not officially measured in a contest, they are just statistics given from other tests.

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by milkl0ver
    I'm sure you can change both so you are wrong
    Got any proof? A medical study showing that it changed?

Originally posted by Stagger
    Got any proof? A medical study showing that it changed?
    This has been one of those huge debates. Actually I might have been a bit incorrect, but anyways who really cares, it's whether or not your muscles adapt to that type of training you do, and show me some proof that the actualy SIZE of the fibers increasees.
    Last edited by milkl0ver; 06-30-2004 at 07:16 AM.

Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stagger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by milkl0ver
    This has been one of those huge debates. Actually I might have been a bit incorrect, but anyways who really cares, it's whether or not your muscles adapt to that type of training you do, and show me some proof that the actualy SIZE of the fibers increasees.
    The size of muscle fibers do increase. What the hell do you think muscle is? There are two kinds of hypertrophy- sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar. Sarcoplasmic is from higher reps like 7-12 and it makes the part of the muscle that stores water and electrolytes bigger. Myofibrillar is from 3-6 and it makes the muscle fibers bigger.

You can't change the number of fibers, so obviously they get bigger when the muscle gets bigger.