I.B.V.King has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Increasing starting strength?

OK I have a question... FYI i play soccer, not football, and I dont really lift... anyways, when Im training on my own, i like to kick the ball around and sprint to where it lands as fast as possible, but ive noticed a problem with my running... the first 3-5 strides i take a fairly slow, and after that i succenly accelerate fast... those first three strides require what is called starting strength to get you moving fast, but im not sure if acceleration is the same thing or not... anyways, how would i go about increasing the effectiveness of those first couple of strides?

i wonder whether my form is wrong, because on those first few strides, im pushing off with my quads mainly, and then after that it switches over to the hams... anyways any help is appreciated

DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DB15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ... mmmm you need to get your form down first then work at it in the weight room... where the hell is that article

this will help
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss14.htm
    Athletes.com

I.B.V.King has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by DB15
    ... mmmm you need to get your form down first then work at it in the weight room... where the hell is that article

this will help
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss14.htm

thanks but that article is on the 40... soccer is not like football, you very rarely get to sprint in a straight line, which makes speed less important than the ability to accelerate very quickly to the ball... so i guess my emphasis is on getting those first 3 steps to get me on a good start cuz thats where i think the weakness is.. so how do i improve them?

Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000) Person is just really nice. (+1000)
    Speed underlies ALL sports. If someone is faster than another, they will do better in "agility drills" period, after learning them. If you can cycle your legs faster and apply more force to the ground then someone, you will perform better! You can't just practice your "first 3 steps" and think that will do anything. You need a solid program for speed, and not just acceleration (though this should be the emphasis), but also some slightly longer sprints that will develop maximum velocity, therefore, giving you a higher SPEED RESERVE.

RB11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just practice starts, run shuttles as fast as you can. If u run a shuttle from the goal line to the 6 yard line, back to goal line to penno spot, back to goal line to the edge of the area you get 6 starts. Just hit the lines hard. This is far more realistic for proper football (yeah im english!) as you very rarely run from a standing start.
    Just because it isnt clean doesnt mean its not cultural