zkid002

How Many Exercises Per Muscles Group In One Day!?!?

Lets say today is your chest and tricep day. How many exercises do you do for the chest, and the triceps in one day at the gym?

Example.
    Chest
    Exercise 1-Bench Press
    Exercise 2-Cable Flys/Crossovers
    Exercise 3-Chest Press Machine
    Triceps
    Exercise 1-Tricep Machine
    Exercise 2-Skull Crushers
    Exercise 3- Tricep Pull Down(Rope)

That would be considered 3 exercises per muscle in one day of a workout...how much exercises do you do for one muscle group in one day of workout?..Please answer, i need help/opinions, and to see what everyone else is doin!

coeboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    generally.. i do 4 exercises for chest.. 4 or 5 exercises for whole back...
    then i just do 2 exercises for smaller muscle groups such as biceps/triceps, especially if you work them out after pre-exhausting them with a previous workout (e.g. Chest+triceps)..

for my chest workout. .i generally have 2 or 3 compound movements (pressing motion) followed by the isolated movements (flys)...

Lift, eat, sleep, repeat! Xetenor's Avatar
    Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xetenor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yea, today I gotta do back, but I didn't do arms yesterday so I gotta do back mainly today followed by arms. Going to be one fun day! Time to hit up the gym!

KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10) KC CAnnon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It really depends on the nature and composition of the bodypart...

Relatively small muscle/muscle groups I tend to hit with 3 or 4 exercises, as in the case of biceps/triceps, calves and traps. But larger, more complex muscle groups need more than that to work the entire area, as in the case of legs and back. For those I usually go with 5 or 6 different exercises.

In your example, chest and triceps, there can be a lot of crossover, so you want to be aware of the synergism between the two muscle groups and not overbalance one over the other. Often the two can be trained together by alternating between wide grip and close grip bench/incline presses.

For Chest/Tricep, I do:

Flat Bench* 2 light warmup sets, 3 5x5 and a burn set
    Incline Bench* 1 light warmup set, 3 5x5 and a burn set
    Dips 2x12 and a burnout set
    Cable crossovers 4x12 and a burn set

Close grip Bench 3x10 light
    Overhead extensions 2x10 med weight, 2x8 heavy, 1x4 very heavy
    Tricep pushdown (rope handle-pulling handles apart at the bottom) 3x8 & burn

*I alternate between barbell and dumbell presses every few weeks.

Hope this helps...

zkid002
    Originally Posted by KC CAnnon View Post
    It really depends on the nature and composition of the bodypart...

Relatively small muscle/muscle groups I tend to hit with 3 or 4 exercises, as in the case of biceps/triceps, calves and traps. But larger, more complex muscle groups need more than that to work the entire area, as in the case of legs and back. For those I usually go with 5 or 6 different exercises.

In your example, chest and triceps, there can be a lot of crossover, so you want to be aware of the synergism between the two muscle groups and not overbalance one over the other. Often the two can be trained together by alternating between wide grip and close grip bench/incline presses.

For Chest/Tricep, I do:

Flat Bench* 2 light warmup sets, 3 5x5 and a burn set
    Incline Bench* 1 light warmup set, 3 5x5 and a burn set
    Dips 2x12 and a burnout set
    Cable crossovers 4x12 and a burn set

Close grip Bench 3x10 light
    Overhead extensions 2x10 med weight, 2x8 heavy, 1x4 very heavy
    Tricep pushdown (rope handle-pulling handles apart at the bottom) 3x8 & burn

*I alternate between barbell and dumbell presses every few weeks.

Hope this helps...
    Alright, thanks, so you do 4 workouts for your chest, and 3 for your triceps....right?