Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000)

Is 300 grams of protein a day too much for me? More info inside

I want to follow a caloric ratio of 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. I estimate that I should be getting 2700 calories a day for my goals and activity level. This equals about 236 grams of carbs, 304 grams of protein and 60 grams of fat each day. Is that too much for someone of my physical status? All my info is below.

I am 6'0", 213lbs. I am almost 21 years old.

I want to change my caloric intake around because I do not feel I am getting enough calories in my diet, even though my weight has not changed in the last 3 weeks. I am 213 at 18% and looking to get to 205 at 8%. I don't even think I am getting much more than 2000 calories a day and a little less than 200 grams of protein a day, probably around 180.

I lift weights 2-3 times a week but will be changing around to do it 5 times a week. I do cardio 3 days a week and am activly training in pro wrestling as well as performing in pro wrestling shows. Pro wrestling is a very extreme form of cardio. I am going to be changing my cardio routine so that on days of wrestling practice I do not do cardio and on days with no practice I do my cardio. This equals 3 days of wrestling training and 3 days of cardio. I always take sunday's off from diet and exercise.
    If you always talk about how you could be in great shape if you just worked out and ate right, why don't you just work out and eat right?

BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurritoJimmy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

protein

no protein is good for you it is like muscle and you should get as much as you can take down. Arnold schwarzenernger ate a lot of protein and he got really big and strong and not fat so eat a lot of protein and it will turn to muscle but dont eat fat because you want to be defined too.

sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Um Burrito whatever you said was too difficult to understand. Can you please speak english?

And don't assume I know nothing. I have been lifting and studying nutrition for 5 years. I'm a former personal trainer. This is something I never actually researched.
    If you always talk about how you could be in great shape if you just worked out and ate right, why don't you just work out and eat right?

EricS EricS EricS EricS EricS EricS EricS EricS EricS EricS EricS
    Studies have shown protein intakes as high as 2g/lb safe by all means in trained athletes and bbers.

There has NEVER been a studiy that has shown any number to be too much for a bodybulder or trained athlete.

Protein is muscle and muscle is protien.

Fat doesn't build muscle. Carbs may be apart, but by no means are the the critical factor. too many bodybuilders are way over carbed.

honestly if your over 200lbs, i think 300g is too low.
    "Cuts To The Bone"

http://www.muscleoverload.com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter.htm

neilj has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The body only absorbs 40-50 grams of protein each day
    Yes.

Thumbs down Try again

50g a day??? thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Exactly where did you hear that?
    "Cuts To The Bone"

neilj has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    some dumb medical journal
    Yes.

It may have been 50g in one feeding, but the RDA suggests atleast .8g/lb

Thats well over 50g right off the bat
    "Cuts To The Bone"

plow-horse has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It's 30 to 50 grams every 2 to 3 hours. But I feel your lean body weight and how much stress you put your muscle thru can change that some.

princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50) princessbigman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    never ever eat over the 20-30 grams of protein per meal cause you will emidatly turn in to a 500 pound house wife

I was the one asking the question and some of the responses I have seen are down right retarded! No offense guys, but where the **** do some of you get your info from?

Never eat more than 20-30 grams of protein a meal or you will baloon? Thats the dumbest.

Now for EricS. Thinking that 300 grams of protein a day too low? Can you somehow justify that? I firmly do not believe in atkins or strickly protein diets. Like I said I think i want to shoot for 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fats. If 300 grams of protein was too little for me I would not weigh as much as I do, trust me on that.

Originally posted by sfetaz
    I was the one asking the question and some of the responses I have seen are down right retarded! No offense guys, but where the **** do some of you get your info from?

Never eat more than 20-30 grams of protein a meal or you will baloon? Thats the dumbest.

Now for EricS. Thinking that 300 grams of protein a day too low? Can you somehow justify that? I firmly do not believe in atkins or strickly protein diets. Like I said I think i want to shoot for 45% protein, 35% carbs, and 20% fats. If 300 grams of protein was too little for me I would not weigh as much as I do, trust me on that.
    i never said anything about atkins or a strickly protein diet.

I get about 400g of protein, 300g carbs and 20-25g of fats.

which is about 55-35-10. But the ratios have very little to do with the end results. you could have 50% protein and still only eat 200g, the amount, timeing and types are a bit more improtant that the ratios.
    "Cuts To The Bone"

EricS with that many calories it would seem to me that you weigh 250 pounds or more. Otherwise you would be gaining fat like a mother****er. I mean you could be someone with an extremely high natural metabolism, but seeing as how you are very low on fat and have more protein than carbs I doubt that.

As for why i said atkins, its because when you said 400 grams of protein the only way I could see that being a good idea is if I almost had no fat or carbs all day. I honestly believe in your case you are having a lot more calories than needed, but I don't know you. I just know in my case its a bad idea.

As for quailty over quantity, I think both are equally important. You want the right amount of protein, but not too much or too little. You also want good quality proteins.

Originally posted by sfetaz
    EricS with that many calories it would seem to me that you weigh 250 pounds or more. Otherwise you would be gaining fat like a mother****er. I mean you could be someone with an extremely high natural metabolism, but seeing as how you are very low on fat and have more protein than carbs I doubt that.

As for why i said atkins, its because when you said 400 grams of protein the only way I could see that being a good idea is if I almost had no fat or carbs all day. I honestly believe in your case you are having a lot more calories than needed, but I don't know you. I just know in my case its a bad idea.

As for quailty over quantity, I think both are equally important. You want the right amount of protein, but not too much or too little. You also want good quality proteins.

Well I don't see how 3100 caloreis is too many, And im not putting on much fat at all. I do cardio to keep my metabolism running clean.

As far as quality, every thing i eat is quality. especially protein.

i have 168g(7 serves) of whey isolate divided all through out the day and night, 3 MRPs throught the day and 3, 4oz peices of chiscke breast or white fish like cod or orange roughy. about 3cups of skim milk And 8 egg whites

My diet is meticulously detailed and I follow it to the "T" every day. So i don't really think you can say that you doubt the way i eat just be looking at raw numbers.

My carbs com from basmait rice, oatmeal and vegetables and the carbs in MRPs & milk. again, all high quailty foods.

There isn't a shred of food in my diet that isn't needed or planned for what i want to accomplish.

I posted my exact diet on the picture forum if you actually want to see it.
    Last edited by EricS; 05-09-2002 at 08:57 AM.
    "Cuts To The Bone"

intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intense4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your body can only digest 40 or so grams of protein per MEAL. this means if you're eating every 2 hours or so 300 g of protein is just fine, you could actually take in more!

97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bump on that.

Tony Soprano Stunt Double philemon666's Avatar
    philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I wanna know where people are getting these figures from, what is the basis that you can only eat 30-50g protein per serving?

I would have thought if your carbs and fat were lower from that meal, then providing the protein is a mixed blend then you should be able to ingest more, I'm not talking silly numbers more like 50-70g per meal, most MRP's come at 40g and many people add an extra scoop of protein to that.

I think people read it all from so called "fitness experts" who continue to belive that ,8g/kg of protien is all you need.

They try to explain that too much protein will overlaod the enzymes that finish protein digestion and absorbtion.

I've heard every # from 20 to 50 and no one can ever come up with who or where they heard it from...Its a "UFO"

I with the rest of you, its all a load of bunk

I think the 'blend' has alot to do with it to as different proteins are borken down and absorbed at different rates.
    "Cuts To The Bone"

97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 97LT1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by philemon666
    I wanna know where people are getting these figures from, what is the basis that you can only eat 30-50g protein per serving?

I would have thought if your carbs and fat were lower from that meal, then providing the protein is a mixed blend then you should be able to ingest more, I'm not talking silly numbers more like 50-70g per meal, most MRP's come at 40g and many people add an extra scoop of protein to that.
    BigCat's article on protein.

Originally posted by 97LT1
    BigCat's article on protein.
    Hes talking about large amounts of whey because of its high assimilation rates...stuff like casein and chicken takes a long time to digest and you have a much slower exposure to the protein.

I cases like that you aren't limited to only 30g.
    "Cuts To The Bone"

Originally posted by EricS

Hes talking about large amounts of whey because of its high assimilation rates...stuff like casein and chicken takes a long time to digest and you have a much slower exposure to the protein.

I cases like that you aren't limited to only 30g.
    Thanks for the correction. I learned something new.

Tony Soprano Stunt Double philemon666's Avatar
    philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) philemon666 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    yeah, just reading an article while looking for that information and Big Cat advises simple sugars post-workout (not just after gym) because it aids in the absorbtion of protein (and doesn't hinder it). He says all complex carbs should be ingested before working out.

Any you guys follow this theory?

It seems to make sense but looking on the board and peoples food plan not many people seem to go for it.

I hear you. But i've been too lazy to check when i eat my c/carbs. But i will check regularly once i start my heavy lifting cycle.

tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tangun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    kinda off-topic, but why do you say 3100 is a lot of calories for EricS and that he'd have to be 250 or more? I consider myself average to somewhat slow metabolism and my maintenance is 2400 at 155 lbs, 9% BF... I also train all types of different people, big, tall, skinny, fat, etc. and I would say on average 2700 calories is kinda on the low end for this guy if he's also doing cardio and lifting hard and is anywhere near 200 lbs.
    Last edited by tangun; 05-13-2002 at 12:22 PM.

Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
    no protein is good for you it is like muscle and you should get as much as you can take down. Arnold schwarzenernger ate a lot of protein and he got really big and strong and not fat so eat a lot of protein and it will turn to muscle but dont eat fat because you want to be defined too.
    loled

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Icicle View Post
    loled
    You just bumped a ten year old thread to add "loled".

Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasselol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by princessbigman View Post
    never ever eat over the 20-30 grams of protein per meal cause you will emidatly turn in to a 500 pound house wife
    Legit source on that?

dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by EricS View Post
    I think people read it all from so called "fitness experts" who continue to belive that ,8g/kg of protien is all you need.

They try to explain that too much protein will overlaod the enzymes that finish protein digestion and absorbtion.

I've heard every # from 20 to 50 and no one can ever come up with who or where they heard it from...Its a "UFO"

I with the rest of you, its all a load of bunk

I think the 'blend' has alot to do with it to as different proteins are borken down and absorbed at different rates.

20-50g Protein myth is a UFO....

Now THAT is a LOL.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    10 year old thread.

birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) birdmanjr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    its interesting how when this thread was created, i was only 12 years old. lol