Jhay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Which is worse fat or sugar?

If I had a choice between 2 similar foods. One that was fat free but contained sugar, and one that was sugar free but contained fat, which would be the lesser of the 2 evils?

Assume the amounts of sugar and fat are the same.

gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gfletch has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Which is worse fat or sugar?

Originally posted by Jhay
    If I had a choice between 2 similar foods. One that was fat free but contained sugar, and one that was sugar free but contained fat, which would be the lesser of the 2 evils?

Well fat is more calorie dense than sugar, but it also depends on the type of fat

Not to mention, just because it is sugar free doesn't mean that it doesn't contain a crap load of white flour or malto
    The Holy Trinity: Diet, weight training and cardio
    If you don't Squat or Deadlift, don't ask what supps will help you gain mass.

"Strength and wisdom are not opposing values." - Bill Clinton

Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000) Melkor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is a question with too many variables to answer.

If the fat is a healthy fat (like flax, fish, or something of that nature) then definitely the fat.

If the fat is a transfatty acid, and the sugar is something like fructose in an orange, then definitely the sugar.
    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

"Out of damp and gloomy days, out of solitude, out of loveless words directed at us, conclusions grow up in us like fungus: one morning they are there, we know not how, and they gaze upon us, morose and gray. Woe to the thinker who is not the gardener but only the soil of the plants that grow in him."
    -Nietzsche

MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Depends, alot of people say that upping carbs and lowering fat extremely low helps them *People Like Me* Other people would say that eating moderate to moderately low carbhydratse with fats compensating for the calorie reduction works better, it all depends on your body chemistry dude. Carbohydrates give me the energy I need, not fats...thats why your body burns carbs first. I always feel alot better, like I have more energy and overall feeling of well being when I eat my carbs. A high fruit, vegetable, grain I.E a book called Fit For Life, the original 1980's print is what helped me lose about 35 pounds in 2 months with NOOOOOOO excercise at all, I went to around 11% bodyfat. I still ocassionally ate lean cuts of meat, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by MuScleHeAd88; 06-26-2004 at 11:37 AM.

ObesityKillz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObesityKillz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    MuscleHead, how low do you lower fat for cutting?

MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100) MuScleHeAd88 is not very well liked. (-100)
    What exactly do you mean how low do I lower my bodyfat? I've never attempted a cut before, I never go above 11%...I've been steadily maintaining my weight while added muscle for a while now. But I only started SERIOUSLY working out in March.

If you're wonderng how low you need your bodyfat to get to see your abs, I'd say 8-7%.

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well it depends on what type of fat and sugar we're talking about.

John AK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Which is worse fat or sugar?

Originally posted by Jhay

Well, here's the thing - simple carbs lead to an insulin spike, among other things, which trigger the body to store fat, so the WORST case scenario is sugar (or rather, simple carbs) and fat together (hello Snickers bar and McDs!).

I can't pick one as worse than the other. They're both needed in certain quantities, and they're both nutrients that need to be watched and regulated. Just make sure you don't get too much of either and you'll be ok.

That said, I personally would go for the sugar free with fat.
    5'10"
    160 lbs

Bench 210x1
    Squat 315x1
    Deadlift 350x1
    Total 875

Don't need no straps, no supplements,
    no chalk, no gloves, no goddam juice.
    Real men lift and eat, period.
    Form is life.

ObesityKillz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ObesityKillz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    MUSCLEHEAD88, I meant how much dietary fat do you intake. What is you macronutrient split?

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    With my diet I'd eat the fat.