Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Wore an HRM last night for Squats...

I'm always winded on leg days and I've seen a few posts around here about people seeing stars after squats, etc.

Since I was curious as to just how much my hr increased when squatting, I wore my HRM last night for my legs workout.

I can't say the results surprised me, because I knew my HR was jumping while squatting, but it did confirm what my heavy breathing was already telling. Using the various calculators, my max HR is supposed to be somewhere around 180 - 185. I did 3X10 heavy (for me). My HR was 170 by the end of the second set. I rested 1.5 minutes in between the first and second sets, so I rested 2 minutes before the third set and my HR was at 165 at the end of the 3rd.

Deads weren't so bad for me, my max out of 3 sets seemed to be 163.

After starting the workout, my HR rarely dropped below 130 (including rest) for the 50 minute workout. Even though it was a heavy resistance training session in the 8-10 rep range, I called that a good cardio session also and blew off the cardio I was supposed to do... LOL

For those of you seeing stars, you might find it interesting if you wore an HRM for your squats.
    A good friend once told me... "It's not the age, it's the mileage!" Pretty scary for me, considering the mileage I'd racked up with my lifestyle, until I realized I could overhaul my engine!

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    hmmm....I dont think too much about overall heart rate. What worries me on occasion is that I hold my breath powerlifter style and I suppose that would be the blood pressure spiking way up...like when my face turns read and it looks like my head will pop off. And thats before I unrack the bar
    "Humility comes before honor"

Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    hmmm....I dont think too much about overall heart rate.
    Right, that's kinda my point. I don't think anyone is. And I'm not sure anyone really really needs to since I didn't hit my max and it is short duration.

But, it's still interesting to me and my HR did hit 90% of max and it raises some questions in my mind like if I would experience the such heavy breathing or others seeing stars if I or they were in better cardio shape. Although holding your breath would probably cause it also, lol. I also wonder if you could actually hit higher squat PR's if in better cardio shape (whether for mental or physical reasons).
    A good friend once told me... "It's not the age, it's the mileage!" Pretty scary for me, considering the mileage I'd racked up with my lifestyle, until I realized I could overhaul my engine!

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    interesting Q.

My cardio sucks and I see stars quite often when lifting heavy. I also get lightheaded sometimes etc

but DANG its hard (and boring) to fit cardio in

Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bronkko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jordo1 View Post
    would experience the such heavy breathing or others seeing stars
    im glad to know im not the only one seeing stars.

thought it might be a tumor.

Daimozz
    i have found squats and deads alot easier since i picked up my pace on my cardio and endurance...... tho i may in the end loose muscle gains.... i feel healthier....

Jimislash
    Originally Posted by Bronkko View Post

"Ets not a tuma, ets not a tuma at awl."

Sorry, I am not entirely sure how to write an Austrian accent.

Don't give me evils! SumthinOrNuthin's Avatar
    SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    interesting Q.

My cardio sucks and I see stars quite often when lifting heavy. I also get lightheaded sometimes etc

but DANG its hard (and boring) to fit cardio in
    Originally Posted by Bronkko View Post

Seeing stars is more likely to be a blood pressure thing than a lack of cardio thing. Have you guys had your BP checked recently?

Do you get light-headed as well when you see stars?

If so, its possible that your BP is on the low side. Most likely nothing to worry about as even the low side of normal can give those symptoms. Might be worth having it checked tho if only to rule it out.

Or ...... if you're holding your breath as you say John, then that could be the reason for seeing stars - lack of oxygen. Breeeeeeathe man!
    Brian! Who are all those people outside?
    I don't know mother, they just .... popped by.
    Popped by?! Swarmed by more like!

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I wore a HR monitor during low reps and high reps and I get into the 170-180's. I keep the rest interval under 2min no matter what the rep range so for the 20 min it takes me to do 10 sets of 3 I definately get a good anaerobic workout.

Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Datoyminaytah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jordo1 View Post
    Using the various calculators, my max HR is supposed to be somewhere around 180 - 185.
    I think the formulas are very conservative.

I read that the only way to know your actual MHR was to have a stress test. I asked my doctor about this, and he said insurance wouldn't cover it unless there were a reason for the test. I told him I had seen heart rates over 190 for brief periods during interval training, and often into the 180's, but I wasn't 100% winded or in pain, and he told me not to worry about it. He measured my resting heart rate at 52, and blood pressure is normal, so I suppose he's right.

Just saying, the heart rate you saw might not be your real 90%.
    My workout journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=864556

My Journal, Fitness & Nutrition Info, Recipes
    http://wesmorrison.blogspot.com

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A trained athlete (ie someone who is not going to give themselves a heart attack) can find their true MHR by basically doing an interval mentioned by Datoyminaytah. I read an article that said sprint 200 yards, rest briefly, do it gain two more times and the last you should hit MHR. I just passively watch my HR monitor during an occasional very hard HIIT and I've gone as high as 192 w/o almost passing out or anything. I just read too that a former pro boxer still gets his HR to 200 at age 42.

I used to get mine over 200 when I was about 19-20...riding an exercise bike in a scorching hot gym on the Air Force base in Greece. Didnt seem like a max though, lol.

philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philip41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting, it just so happens that i decided to use my HRM for leg day this week, was squating 4 x 6 heavy (for me) max HR was 168, i rest for 2 mins, whilst resting HR returned to 60-65 BPM, my resting HR is @ around 45 bpm.
    Squats for me atleast are the most demanding of all the big compound lifts.
    To be the Best i Can be.