bawng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I going down too far on deads??

OK, whenever i do deads, i have enormous trouble keeping my knees in line with my feet after i get below a certain point. So my question is Should I be going past 90 degrees when doing deads because at 90 degrees is where my knees want to go in front of my toes......I thought having a broad range of motion was really important, but when I watch this pro on TV his deads were a very very narrow range of motion........so now im real confused....but I am pretty sure I'm doing somethign wrong because I allways workout alone and my only guide is this website quite frankly and I know im doing something wrong because I've been stuck at 150 pounds for a year now!! sooo any and all help would be grreat

Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well you go down low enough to where the plates touch the floor before you stand up straight. It should be touch and go.
    If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got.

That is what I do and i have to go waaay down because the biggest plate i have is 25 lbs, so if I did what you said, then that means the guys who use bigger plates don't have to go down as far?

Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000) Quantum_Man is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes.
    If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got.

ah hah, so going past 90 degrees isn't really that big of a deal after all? so i could use blocks and limit my range like that so i could keep my knees in line and not have to take my knees past 90 degrees. can anyone say if this sounds like a good idea or not? also, is it more dangerous to come back up without touching the ground/blocks?

JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Quantum_Man
    Well you go down low enough to where the plates touch the floor before you stand up straight. It should be touch and go.
    I respectfully disagree with the touch and go. I think the weight should be set down for a moment before it is lifted again. It's called a deadlift for a reason. You are supposed to lift dead weight. There should be no extra momentum.

JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000) JC-orginalbdass is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by bawng
    That is what I do and i have to go waaay down because the biggest plate i have is 25 lbs, so if I did what you said, then that means the guys who use bigger plates don't have to go down as far?
    You really shouldn't do deadlifts without at least 45s because of the diameter. If you can't lift that much, see if you gym has training plates. They're the diameter of 45s, but lighter. I've seen them at my gym weighing 10 and 25.

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb

Wait a minute.
    If you have been stuck at 150, that means you should be able to load 2-45's, 2-5's, and 2-2.5's on the bar. That would accomplish what everyone is recommending.

anonymous
    Originally posted by JC-orginalbdass
    I respectfully disagree with the touch and go. I think the weight should be set down for a moment before it is lifted again. It's called a deadlift for a reason. You are supposed to lift dead weight. There should be no extra momentum.
    agreed, touch and go tends to turn into 'bounce and jerk' towards the end of a set which is absolutely not what you want to do with deadlifts

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by Halfway
    agreed, touch and go tends to turn into 'bounce and jerk' towards the end of a set which is absolutely not what you want to do with deadlifts
    My only concern would be with waiting too long and the back relaxing.
    I release to the point in which the bar is allowed to relax in the plates. Once that happens, I am right back up again.
    That way the back never has a chance to relax, thus causing an injury.