Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    forzapista has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting information on the inguinal hernias. I developed one about a month ago, have not been lifting since as it hurts when I do lift. Scheduled for surgery next week, still have not decided if I want to open or laprascopic procedure done. They both seem the same, I am just nervous about general anethesia and the risks. I work in a hospital and see the screw ups that happen, so I am extra nervous.
    We will see how it goes!! Reading everyone's experiences here has been really helpful. thanks!

Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonestar4144 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Did you go with the open or laprascopic? I had laprascopic ventral mesh repair 6 months ago. I didn't want to deal with the stitches. I feel great, stronger than ever at this point. Just take the recover VERY slow. Good luck!
    Originally Posted by forzapista View Post
    Interesting information on the inguinal hernias. I developed one about a month ago, have not been lifting since as it hurts when I do lift. Scheduled for surgery next week, still have not decided if I want to open or laprascopic procedure done. They both seem the same, I am just nervous about general anethesia and the risks. I work in a hospital and see the screw ups that happen, so I am extra nervous.
    We will see how it goes!! Reading everyone's experiences here has been really helpful. thanks!

MrButch138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jordaro2002 View Post
    What core buliding exercises do you recommend to strengthen the abdomen to prevent a recurrence of an abdominal hernia?

Any other tips for a person returning to lifting weights/cardio after hernia surgery?
    Well i guess i am not the only one... after seeing crazy gains... i developed ANOTHER hernia which really made me get depressed cause BodyBuilding is life to me not just a thing. I love it and i dont know how i am going to coupe with not going to the gym for 2 month at least.. i learned that holding your breath while carrying heavy weight may lead to hernia. which is what i did, and ofcs it was too late.

Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hockey16z has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MrButch138 View Post
    Well i guess i am not the only one... after seeing crazy gains... i developed ANOTHER hernia which really made me get depressed cause BodyBuilding is life to me not just a thing. I love it and i dont know how i am going to coupe with not going to the gym for 2 month at least.. i learned that holding your breath while carrying heavy weight may lead to hernia. which is what i did, and ofcs it was too late.
    Sorry bro, I think I'd be pissed too

Yettie250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post hernia symptoms

I've been having trouble urinating and passing stools. Also, feeling hungy but can't put down as much food as normal due tk feeling bloated. My abdomen area twitches or flutters....some days it won't be as bad.....some burning sensation around the bladder area....and my junk won't stand at attention like normal....my soldier falls when my woman climbs on top. Are these occurrences symptoms of a hernia? My first time ever joining a forum. worried sick I will be out of work and won't be able to take care of my family financially. Right now i railroad for a living and NOTHING is easy when it comes to labor work on the railroad as everything is heavy steel and swinging a hammer. normally I am 6'2 at 250 with 18 inch bicepts. in the last month or two, I've been not eating as much due to my symptoms....lost some mass.....any help is appreciated.
    ONE THING GUARANTEED ABOUT LIFE: NONE OF US ARE GETTING OUT OF IT ALIVE! DO WHAT YOU LOVE WHILE WE'RE HERE

benelou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benelou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benelou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benelou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benelou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benelou has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Right inguinal hernia surgery yesterday here (lower abdomen...no cutting on my junk...yay for that at least). I ran across this thread searching to see if the 7ish pounds I gained in one day was normal. (I've lost 90+ pounds in the last 8 months.) I've been doing a good bit of running and strength training, so the surgery and recovery is frustrating. I was training to do my first Half Marathon on October 20th and had run 13.1 or more about 5 times in training. I was also lifting 3-4 days per week (twice upper, 1-2 lower, depending on what I could take with all the running).

Anyway, surgery started at 10:00am yesterday, was home at 1pm. Doc did local numbing as well as the general anesthesia. It was a regular incision, mesh repair, glue on the incision. My right side all the way from just below the nipple line to mid right thigh was numb for most of the afternoon yesterday from the local numbing. I took the prescribed painkiller (HYDROCO/APAP, which is, I believe, vicodin) for the first time before bedtime last night just in case. Thankfully the wife got up when I went to the toilet the first time I needed to take a whizz after taking that stuff, around midnight. I either fell asleep standing up or got light-headed. I don't remember which. Anyway, she had to help me back to bed, not because of any pain, but because I could barely hold myself up. Same drill around 4am--got very light-headed. I'm not taking that crap again. I've been home a little over 24 hours as of this post. I'm in no pain when I lie in bed, have a little when I get up. Haven't taken a dump yet, but I'm hoping the 35g of fiber in my diet yesterday and 40g today will help move things along. Walking hurts a little; the process of standing up hurts a good bit. My doctor has said he thinks I can return to running in about 2 1/2 weeks, lifting lighter in 4-6. We'll see. I'll keep updating here, I suppose.

--Ben

arvell22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the exact same problem, when I woke up from surgery I was in so much pain. The shot me with pain medicine and also gave me pills. It didn't help on bit. I wanted my hernia back. 5 days and no bowel movement and that's with taking stool softer as prescribe and an enema. I was miserable just as you. 2 trips to emergency room. Anyway second trip A DIFFERENT ER did it. DOCTOR SAID STOP TAKING PAIN MEDS, AND TAKE IBUPROFEN, HE PROMISED ME THE PAIN WOULD BE GONE IN A DAY OR TWO. THEY GAVE ME AN ENEMA, 1 HOUR LATER, MAGNESIUM CITRATE ORAL SOLUTION. WITHIN 1 HOUR I HAD MAJOR BOWEL MOVEMENT. CAT SCAN HAD SHOWED THAT I HAD A BLOCKAGE. IN 1 DAY THE IBUPROFEN WORKED AND I WAS ON MY WAY TO RECOVERY. THE DRUGS IS WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WAS. TRY THIS IT SHOULD WORK. GOOD LUCK
    d

ibrpm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

At Four Weeks After Surgery

My experience with constipation after inginal repair, left side was similar. I was on Vicodin for pain control and really wish I would have started the stool softeners maximum strength immediately after surgery.

Can't get a hold of my surgeon, who is on vacation, but started light eliptical 3 weeks in with no ill effects to wound site. Did get a little dizzy once. So I would recommend erring on the site of caution since damage to the healing site could set one back further. Tonight I will do some light preacher curls, butterflies and tricep work being cautious to put very little strain on the abdomin. I will intensify this gradually and listen closely to my body and surgeon (when I'm able to reach him).

From what I've discussed, read and heard I'm on the earlier side of what might be advisable.

Originally Posted by JoeySea View Post
    Hi guys, I just thought I would share my experience here. I just had surgury on Monday..the surgery went well and I was back home by mid afternoon, surgery was at 12:30pm. First day was fine - was on pain meds - not much moving around - hard to get up at night to pee/poop. Second day - still on pain meds - still sore - hard to pee and poop. Third day (BAD DAY) - I was so overly constipated from the pain meds I was taking (******** - scheduled 2 controlled med - im allergic to codeine so I couldnt take tylenol 3's) - i sat on a toilet for 6 hours trying to poop - i went through 1 supository, and had to have an enema - it was bad - I finally passed the poop after a long battle - now my anus is sore, but the pain of the hernia is gone. Today - pain is fine - minimal discomfort - pooping ok, but still sore.

Word of advise - WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR HERNIA AND ARE ON PAIN MEDS - TAKE A STOOL SOFTENER ASAP AND INCREASE THE FIBER IN YOUR DIET - YOU DONT WANT TO BE CONSTIPATED AND PUSHING OUT POOP FOR A LONG TIME.

Good luck everyone,!
    Robert M

ibrpm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks Everybody - Hernia Stories

Wow. Great and helpful stories, each one on this site. I'm 4 weeks after my left inguinal hernia repair. Will start very light arms/upper body light on machines only. The eliptical went well this past week, but I almost over did it once. I suggest really watching the temptation to intensify your work out due to the return of energy and confidence that comes from being active again. View your repair as a long-term project to avoid reinjury and excruciating setback.

Originally Posted by sancarlosrob View Post
    I had abdominal surgery 15 months ago and developed a ventral hernia at the site of the incision. Didn't even notice it until I was doing some planks one day last month and looked down my tshirt and saw a bulge in my abdomen. Went to the Dr. the next day, he dignosed it and I had my surgery consult 2 days ago. My surgeon said that the greatest threat of developing these types of hernias is from massive weight gain and mine was unusual. I'll have laparascopy sugery some time in May but have the go ahead to continue exercising at the level I've been at. After the surgery, I won't be able to do anything for two weeks followed by two weeks of light exercise. After the follow up I should be able to gradually increase my effort.

Everyone is different but I felt fine 3 weeks after my initial surgery but didn't feel comfortable lifting until about 4 months after the surgery. Didn't go heavy until 2-3 months after that and deadlifts and squats still cause a strange sensation around the incision area. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Rob
    Robert M

rocketkaboom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great info are all collected here! I had left inguinal hernia surgery on the 4th of November. Felt moderate pain for few days. I chose not to take any pain meds and I think I made the right choice. Its been over ten days now and I feel good (not great) but all in all, good. I have been walking since the first day of surgery and gradually increased distance which is now about 2 miles. Through everyone's experience, I hope to be back in gym in few more weeks. I will take everyone's advice to heart and keep my ears open as my body speaks to me. Thanks everybody!

budmiller77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stumbled across this thread. Figured id throw in a little of my experience and see what others have to say.

I am currently 2 weeks out from Open Indirect hernia repair on my left side. I've gotten to the point where "pain" is a thing of the past, but things still feel a little...tight. I am not a body builder in the sense that many people on this thread are, but am an extremely active rock climber and trail runner. I feel like I am to a point that starting a running regiment again (taking it slow) would be reasonable, but ive got a pretty solid history of hoping back on to stuff to quick after injury.

Any one else that had the same procedure (Open stitching vs laproscopic) have any input on CARDIO exercise post surgery? Most replies on this thread seem to be about actually lifting, which I like to do as supplemental training, but would not be worried if its off the table for another month.

leachforreal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ive had two

so i just had my second inguinal hernia repair surgery about 4 weeks ago.
    my doc said to wait about 8 weeks and start out light but should be back to where i was in about 6 months because of the muscle memory that your body has.
    just take it slow because you do not want to have to go through it a second even third time.
    and i also recommend stool softeners. luckily for me my doctor got me some strong prescribed softeners.

leachforreal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by budmiller77 View Post
    Stumbled across this thread. Figured id throw in a little of my experience and see what others have to say.

I am currently 2 weeks out from Open Indirect hernia repair on my left side. I've gotten to the point where "pain" is a thing of the past, but things still feel a little...tight. I am not a body builder in the sense that many people on this thread are, but am an extremely active rock climber and trail runner. I feel like I am to a point that starting a running regiment again (taking it slow) would be reasonable, but ive got a pretty solid history of hoping back on to stuff to quick after injury.

Any one else that had the same procedure (Open stitching vs laproscopic) have any input on CARDIO exercise post surgery? Most replies on this thread seem to be about actually lifting, which I like to do as supplemental training, but would not be worried if its off the table for another month.

in my experience cardio is actually pretty good to do but just limit it. you dont wanna do any thing like running or biking because they cause pressure in the abdomen but easy stuff like the stair stepper at a slow rate and the elliptical are great.

pestalance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Returning to work

Hi guys,

Been reading trough a few posts, and was wondering when post op did yu return back to work

My work constists of picking furniture anywhere from 1kg - 120kg , also I am a causal worker and living alone so can't really afford to have time off

But also am not really lifting these items up just pushing them off pallets onto another pallet.

ArmyShawn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Getting in shape for Basic Training

I just enlisted in the army and then found out I had to have open mesh Inguinal hernia repair on May 15th because the army wanted it fixed and I leave for basic training September 16th so I have three months to get in shape. How long should I wait before I start running, doing push-ups, and sit ups. I need to start doing these asap because this has set me back in getting in shape more before I leave so I'd really appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000) Melina81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I realize this is a bumped ancient thread but wanted to put in my two cents as someone who is 16 days out.

I had a 2 cm umbilical hernia. I had a crease incision with no mesh due to the size (he would have needed to make the hernia larger for mesh placement and felt it would heal nicely due to size and my age).

To counter these lengthy and/or painful recovery stories ...

I never used pain meds, I would say the worst my pain got was a 5. The day after surgery I was up and moving, went to play bingo (exciting huh) and did some shopping. 2 days out I was doing light cardio and 5 days out I was 100% pain free and running.

At my checkup yesterday (15 days post) he said I can lift weights but nothing that is heavily taxing on my core. At 3 weeks he said I am free to do w/e I want. So last night I lifted, I dropped the weight and went slow and felt no pain.

I think the worst part of my surgery was after I took off the surgical bandage I placed a band-aid and had an allergic reaction. The itching was worse than any pain I had.
    "Nothing in the world is so powerful, as an idea whose time has come."

Manhor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Burning/Tearing Feeling Months Later?

I know this is an old thread - but what's one more post?

Had an umbilical hernia for 15 years. Never worked out in my life, but swore if I ever had my hernia repaired that I would.
    Finally had a laproscopic umbilical hernia repair with mesh this past June. Had major complications with the surgery.

So I waited three months and began very light workouts.

I have some kind of a Pacific fitness machine that I found in a dumpster and reassembled. It allows me to do sitting bench presses(?) and it also has a pull down bar.

I started very cautiously with only 40lbs on the machine. I easily did three sets of 12 of four different exercises on the machine, twice a week, for four weeks.
    My intention was to get my body prepared for what I was going to do to it, see if I had any issues show up with my hernia repair, and learn to do the exercises with proper form.

After four weeks I upped the weight to 50lbs and did that for four weeks.

Now I'm two months in, so far so good. So I up the weight to 60lbs. In addition I start doing 25 sit ups and 25 push ups. Still no problems.
    Two weeks later I upped the weight to 70lbs and I increase both my sit ups and my push ups to 50 each.

This time about half way into my sit ups I started to feel sort of a tugging right about where my hernia repair was done. But I had read months earlier that some people may feel tightness, so I ignored the feeling and kept going.
    The tugging began to burn. The burning sensation lasted for the rest of the day, and I noticed it intermittently throughout the following day. But then it stopped.

So the next workout day I did the same routine. And I got the same burning feeling.

I'd like to know from anyone who has had an umbilical hernia repair if you too have experienced the tugging/burning when working the lower abdomen, and if anyone knows if this is normal or should I be concerned.

I'm only nervous because of the bad experience I've already had with this surgery. In addition just two months ago I had a cousin die because he had gotten a couple very small holes in his intestine. And because I no longer have health insurance.

SalvatoreCam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Same problem here

I have exactly the same problem. What did your doc say?

Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I had an inguinal hernia repaired laparoscopically about 11-12 weeks ago. The surgeon told me to lay off weight lifting for 4 weeks. I listened and started lifting with light weight, just my upper body, at week 4. I've expanded to a broader routine since then, re-implementing all my old exercises. Pretty soon I was back lifting at the original weights, and even increasing. Actually, I've been on Rippetoe for two weeks and I'm seeing good linear strength increases.

However, I STILL feel pain from doing squats or deads. I also have some swelling in the surgery site, called "seroma," which mimics the original hernia, so I'm really not experiencing much relief from the original pain, which is pressure on my nuts from the protruding intestines (gross? tell me about it). Surgeon said swelling was normal but this is getting ridiculous--actually I'm worried if it might be a recurrence after all. Just today I made a follow-up appointment with my surgeon just to make sure everything really is okay.

Worst thing is, I'm starting to feel similar pain on the other side.

In short, I've had a pretty ****ty experience with hernias and hernia repairs so far...

john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had an inguinal hernia repair on Wednesday. Had the hernia for about 7-8 years but it was starting to cause me more problems over time so had it repaired.

I have to say I wasn't expecting this level of pain. As it's only day surgery I thought it would be pain free in a few days. How wrong was I?

Although I have been moving around since the day of the surgery it is still painful sitting down or standing up. Walking is uncomfortable and pain meds don't seem to do much.

It still feels like the hernia is in there which is weird. My google search bought me back to the BB forums after all these years away. Hopefully it is just swelling but it I don't like the feel of it. I have to go back and see the doctor in 5 weeks so will speak to him then if it's still there.

I have a lot of pain around the whole surgery area. The Dr said he had to 'burn' a lot of blood vessels which had developed over the years. It's kind of comforting that people have the same symptoms, makes me feel less worried!
    ** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **

**R6 CREW**

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're less than a week post op. Very normal to have some pain. Just monitor your temp for signs of fever. Make sure your bowels are moving. Pain meds slow them down and that internal pressure will cause pain. No tight pants either. Sweats or gym shorts. Lying is better than sitting too. Short walks throughout the day will help. My surg was in 2003 and I was 100% 12 weeks out. 6 weeks out I started very light lifting.

BKelly101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just had an inguinal hernia repair surgery about a week ago. The recovery hasn't been easy. The first few days were really painful and I couldn't stand up for more than a minute. After that, my intestines stop hurting so much and it was just the incision spot that was hurting. It felt like it was burning around the staples every time I would walk. Even trying to take a shower was miserable. The mesh plug eventually worked itself in place and the burning stopped after sucking it up and walking it off. A lot of bed rest is good but you have to move around and try to keep up with a normal routine as much as possible. I actually went to the gym on day 6 of recovery and just did some very light and seated bicep lifts. It was probably too soon but I couldn't stand it. I go in for a follow up in a week to have my staples taken out. Hopefully everything looks good and the doc will increase the activity I'm allowed to do. It's definitely been a set back and will be a fight to get back to where I was but I'm looking forward to getting back at it.

DMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Umbilical Hernia repair

I had my small umbilical hernia repair surgery done on Monday (it's now Saturday) I didn't have mesh as the hole was small, and it was just a small incision inside my belly button. As of day four, I no longer had to take anything for pain. I do feel sharp pinching pains inside my abdomen, and I have to resist the urge to push on my belly button as I guess itts a habit since I used to have to frequently push my hernia back in. I was told not to do any lifting heavier than ten lbs for 4-6 weeks. Afterwards I am going to do an ab rehabilitation program for diastasis recti. I would recommend this for anybody who has a hernia like mine as any traditional ab workouts (crunches, planks, push-ups) just open the hole up again. Especially the crunching movement - traditional workouts were what separated my abs in the first place. Belly button was getting bigger and bigger and then I did deadlifts (held my breath do doubt) and POP. My hernia was born. So I would advise seeking physical therapy when you get the okay from your dr to excercise following umbilical hernia repair... Just to strengthen the area so you don't reherniate it.

yogendra4604 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had inguinal hernia surgery (open repair) one year. So now will it be ok if I want to join the gym and if I do so then what routine of exercises should I follow regarding lifting and other abdominal exercises.

barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I had left and right inguinal hernias done yesterday. I got them not warming up correctly and going for a p.b. Dumb!
    Anyway, the hernias became so uncomfortable that any misgivings I had regarding general anesthesia etcetera soon dissipated. I am off training for two months! Im not to even drive for several weeks. I did a real job on myself.
    I'm not real happy about this extended and enforced break but I'm not about to impede my recovery.
    I'm 59 so coming back after such a long break... I anticipate outta control doms but I am very aware that a fit body as we age is essential for a fruitful existence.

Best to all.

rroyNEW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Discovered that I have a inguinal hernia in the left side.Scheduled for surgery next week.I am sad as I won't be lifting or playing soccer for the next months.I wish I recover soon and also a bit worried if I can be ever as before.

barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) barryboring is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    hey, i am back training after recuperating from my hernia op.

it was disheartening to watch as hard won muscles faded away. i dropped 8 kg’s during my recuperating.

a great thing... resuming was always gunna be a pain so i researched and found the ‘german volume training’ method (gvt). lighter weights more reps endless sets, brutal supersets but effective hypertrophy and gentle on my delicate midsection due to the lighter weight.

i’ll follow up with a new workout plan when i have strengthened my midsection. probably fierce 5.

yay for muscle memory. combined with good nutrition, whey and hard yakka, i have regained 3 kg’s in 6 weeks

hernias are common and horrible. don’t get one!
    Last edited by barryboring; 09-29-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    don’t waste a minute.

mdan75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Day 2 post op

I just had my first hernia with mesh surgery. It went well but I've had very serious pain in my abdomen. I had a umbilical hernia since j was in university. It never bothered me until 2 yrs ago. I started running longer distance and noticed bruising and pain around my belly button. The surgeon said he would fix it only if I followed his instructions to the letter. The instructions are as follows:
    -eat lots of fibre and walk once an hour the first few days.
    -drink lots of fluids and get sleep
    -1 month bed rest. Walking is encouraged but NO lifting over 10lbs or squatting/bending
    -2 months off work. After month one light lifting is allowed but only household items. Note that I have a very phisical job in an auto factory.
    -no weight lifting of anything kind for 3 months!!!
    I am happy to say that I feel good except for the pain of surgery and it appears to have worked. I don't have any hernia obvious but time will tell. I should mention that a good friend I lift with had 2 hernia repairs and one was done laparoscopically and he was up 3 days after but the other was done surgically by incision and he needed 8 weeks recovery. I hope this is useful info and I'll update in a couple of weeks.
    Cheers, Mark