OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why does protein powder make you constipated?

I have been taking protein powders off and on for more than 40 years. Even if I take one serving, it makes me consitpated. The most I can take is one serving per day (at the most).

ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ewitte has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've never had that problem but I also usually get in 35-40g off different sources of fiber. Whats the rest of your meals look like?

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OldBB View Post
    I have been taking protein powders off and on for more than 40 years. Even if I take one serving, it makes me consitpated. The most I can take is one serving per day (at the most).
    What kind? If it's high in calcium, that may have something to do with it.

Also, is the protein drink displacing a normal solid meal? Obviously stool volume would be influenced by this.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this thread will help you out.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2833611

long story short try a higher quality protein powder called protein isolate. I'm going to purchase some in the next week or two. I'll let you know how it works for me.
    "Do what you can with what you have..." - Anonymous

VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VegasTiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Fiber and High water intake will solve the problem brother!

Drink 1 gal of water a day, and a good amount of red beans or high fiber cereal..and it will do the trick.
    "Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are using whey protein concentrate and you are lactose intolerant that could cause the problem.
    HALEO Lead Forum Representative

Echo in Eternity

Store Link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/haleo.html
    ******** Page - www.********.com/pages/HALEO-Worldwide-Inc/344612048892858

markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Protein can tend to be constipating for many reasons. Unlike fruits or vegetables, it has no roughage to mop up the waste material and keep it moving. The slow-moving protein food should always be eaten with vegetables to help move it along through the digestive process. Just like your car cannot operate without gas, your colon cannot operate without roughage.

It puts strain on the kidneys. Your not taking in enough water and/or fibre.

Add some ground flaxseed like 2 tablespoons to the protein shake. Flax is an excellent source of fibre.
    Last edited by markymoo; 05-26-2007 at 02:08 PM.

markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) markymoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    but then again i read that constipation is not caused by a lack of dietary fiber. Constipation, like asthma, is caused by opioid peptides in wheat- and dairy products and beta-carbolines in prepared food. It recommends eating raw egg yolk and fruit.

Read this article
    http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/constipation.htm

They say constipation is caused by a lack of fiber in the food, but that is rubbish ; our most natural food, fruit, does not contain much fiber : 2% average, but does move the bowels. A watermelon only contains 0,2% fiber, but consuming watermelons only, your colon definitely will be active. White bread and cookies on the other hand do cause constipation, containing more fiber (3%) !!!
    Last edited by markymoo; 05-26-2007 at 02:07 PM.

OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldBB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I start off my day with a bowel of bran flakes with milk and a few raisins. I drink one liter of non-fat milk a day. I have one or two cans of tuna a day with either the oil or water drained. I eat a lot of low fat CC. I drink vegeaible juice. I sometimes east Chinese so that I can get a lot of vegetables.

I also eat two prunes a day. When I have protein powder, I take it in milk. I never take more than the plastic spoon they give you with it. Sometimes I have chicken breast, eggs (cooked both white and yellow) and sushi. 40 years ago I used to have protein in milk with raw eggs and banana. I got constipated then too.

Perhaps I am lactose intolerant as envythahustla suggests. How would I know?

jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    high protein intake calls for high water and high fiber intakes. thats pretty much the basics of your problem...step up the green veggies and the whole grains/brans and make sure u drink at least a gallon of h20 daily...alot of ppl say u dont need this much water and there is "scientific proof" that u dont need it but the more water i drink, personally, the better i feel and the more "usual" my system becomes
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I start off my day with a bowel of bran flakes with milk and a few raisins. I drink one liter of non-fat milk a day. I have one or two cans of tuna a day with either the oil or water drained. I eat a lot of low fat CC. I drink vegeaible juice. I sometimes east Chinese so that I can get a lot of vegetables.

I also eat two prunes a day. When I have protein powder, I take it in milk. I never take more than the plastic spoon they give you with it. Sometimes I have chicken breast, eggs (cooked both white and yellow) and sushi. 40 years ago I used to have protein in milk with raw eggs and banana. I got constipated then too.

Perhaps I am lactose intolerant as envythahustla suggests. How would I know?
    another good fiber source is psyllium husk...it comes in powder forms and u just take it 30 minutes before u eat and it will help clean u out...its only supposed to be taken for a few months at a time tho...

about the intolerance:
    theres lactose intolerant and then theres milk allergies. if u have milk allergies (being sensitive to whey imparticular) then its totally diff than lactose intolerance.

in this case, the lactose free proteins may help, but not much since the whey is the source of your problem....

if u are as unfortunate as to have the whey allergy then theres really only on solution- rely on other sources of protein or deal with the gas/constipation.

i recommend getting some psyllium fiber, drinking african red rooibos tea after your last meal, and if nothing else is working as far as fiber goes...maybe even some aloe vera juice (its good for indigestion and gastrointestinal tract problems)..

another solution would be ORYX Goat Whey. its whey protein derived from goats milk and its supposed to not cause as much bloating or digestive problems as whey from cows. its expensive tho because its new. GNC has it, i've never tried it but goat cheese=nasty
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

i dint realize your age....hate to break it to u but as u age your system gets less efficient. this could be an uphill climb fighting the constipation because it may just be coming from the aging of your intestines. in that case, psyllium husk fiber would be your only saving grace, or a colon check from your doc. i got my dad on psyllium and he cleaned his system out pretty well.
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

SEAman First Class skinnyboipgh's Avatar
    skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) skinnyboipgh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile Lotsa good advice here . . . one more thing

Put some soluble fiber supplement like Benefiber or Fiber-Sure in ur shakes, that's what I do.
    Best Regards,

Ed

To the optimist, the glass is half full . . .
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty . . .
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=336405441#post336405441
    Helpful or encouraging posters in my journal get repped.

Originally Posted by jfla32033 View Post
    i dint realize your age....hate to break it to u but as u age your system gets less efficient. this could be an uphill climb fighting the constipation because it may just be coming from the aging of your intestines. in that case, psyllium husk fiber would be your only saving grace, or a colon check from your doc. i got my dad on psyllium and he cleaned his system out pretty well.
    Thanks for the advise jfla32033. Your daddy must be real proud of you. Please see a post I made about this stuff here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3102201

A million thank you's!

Molson31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 18 and I'm right with ya. My protein (high quality isolate) doesn't constipate, but makes bowel movements harder to pass