marcus87sa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Short Interval Speed Training for Over 40 year old women

Hey guys.

I want to put together a Short Interval Speed Training for an over 40 year old women. This is for the sake of loosing fat and getting fit and this sort of training in my eyes is more effective than countless hours of aerobic running.

What precautions should I take when prescribing intensity and volume?
    I think that a total distance of 1,8km is abit much per training session.
    I also want to know how many training sessions per week. Im thinking at about 2 or 3... And also rest periods in between the work intervals?

Any other helpful tips are appreciated. Thank you very much. Marcus

Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jordo1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ensure the person has an HRM and design the program around her HR, not speed, resistance, or incline.

For example,
    Don't design a program that says run 6 mph for 1 minute then walk for 1 minute.
    Do design a program that says achieve a 8/10 max HR for 1 minute, and then a 3/10 max HR for 1 minute.
    A good friend once told me... "It's not the age, it's the mileage!" Pretty scary for me, considering the mileage I'd racked up with my lifestyle, until I realized I could overhaul my engine!

Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carl123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    marcus: I want to put together a Short Interval Speed Training for an over 40 year old women. This is for the sake of loosing fat and getting fit and this sort of training in my eyes is more effective than countless hours of aerobic running.

Carl: Yes, intervals do have benefits BUT also risks! First of all unless a forty year old person is in very good cardiovascular condition with no lower extremity muscularskeletal disorders, they should have a comprehensive physical exam to rule out any cardiac problems and/or other medical issues that may put them at risk.

Secondly recent research is showing that longer bouts of cardio exercise, approximately forty-five minutes, that includes various tempos of intensity (varying from slow to moderate interspersed with intervals) proves a safer workout with less stress to the joints BUT with equal weight loss and cardiovascular benefits. In addition a steady "diet" of interval training results in burnout for the majority of trainees and tends to lead to avoidance of workouts due to the regimentation and intensity of interval routines.

Marcus: What precautions should I take when prescribing intensity and volume? I think that a total distance of 1,8km is abit much per training session.I also want to know how many training sessions per week. Im thinking at about 2 or 3... And also rest periods in between the work intervals?

Carl: Duration, intensity and frequency should be determined by an initial assessment of the individual's presenting cardiovascular capacity and fitness level along with any physical limitations imposed by any medical conditions.