Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking how fast are your bench reps

i've been benching w/ dumbells for a while and i go to near failure every set. i do 6 rep sets. i notice that when i do 6-rep-near-failure sets, my reps are pretty slow, especially the last 2 reps. it might take me 3-6 seconds to push it up all the way. but i never ever see other ppl at the gym doing reps that slow. they seem to pump out reps very quickly. maybe its because they do like 12-15 rep sets, and i'm the only one doing 6? do u guys take this long to do reps too? or am i doing something wrong? cheers
    "Tickets....tickets....who want to buy tickets?...tickets here....anyone need a ticket?...................................................................................................anyone selling tickets?"

- ticket scalper at Deftones show

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you want an explosive positive and a controlled negative (i'm varying between a 'regular' speed negative and a very controlled negative- 4-6seconds).

in other words, explosive- up; negative- down.(on benching)

mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50) mangina will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well i cant explode up unless i lower the weight. but if i lower the weight then i can do more than 6 reps.
    "Tickets....tickets....who want to buy tickets?...tickets here....anyone need a ticket?...................................................................................................anyone selling tickets?"

Originally posted by mangina
    well i cant explode up unless i lower the weight. but if i lower the weight then i can do more than 6 reps.
    huh???????? me no understand what u just wrote :/

i mean, if i stick to a 6 rep max, then i have to rep slowly because the weight is too heavy to push fast. but if i lower the weight so i can "explode" and push it up fast, then i can do more than 6 reps.

i mean, if i stick to a 6 rep max, then i have to rep slowly because the weight is too heavy to push fast. but if i lower the weight so i can "explode" and push it up fast, then i can do more than 6 reps.
    am i the only 1 whose having trouble with this logic?

using a friend as an example, if he moevs the weight at a normal speed (maybe making the entire rep last anywhere from 1-2seconds...i havn't counted with a watch ) he can handle 450. but slow down the negative for ~3-4seconds and keep an explosive positive and he can only do 390. do both slow negative and positive and it'll be lower.

so if you're exposing yourself to more time under tension, then you'll have to be using a lesser weight, but you're trying to say the opposite (that you'll use a heavier one).

logic isn't making sense here

stgeorge5_8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

mangina

i see where u are coming from, but u have to look into it more....as hyper hasn't explained himself in depth. But how can u blame someone who does 60 posts a day.

Patience is a Virtue !!

ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
    am i the only 1 whose having trouble with this logic?

using a friend as an example, if he moevs the weight at a normal speed (maybe making the entire rep last anywhere from 1-2seconds...i havn't counted with a watch ) he can handle 450. but slow down the negative for ~3-4seconds and keep an explosive positive and he can only do 390. do both slow negative and positive and it'll be lower.

so if you're exposing yourself to more time under tension, then you'll have to be using a lesser weight, but you're trying to say the opposite (that you'll use a heavier one).

logic isn't making sense here
    I don't understand him either. It appears he thinks lifting the weight fast is harder than lifting it slowly.

Re: mangina

Originally posted by stgeorge5_8
    i see where u are coming from, but u have to look into it more....as hyper hasn't explained himself in depth. But how can u blame someone who does 60 posts a day.

Patience is a Virtue !!
    ??????

how can i explain something that is just a logic trap.

f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    He's saying that if he wants the weight to move fast, he needs it lower than if he wants to move it slow.

This makes sense because F=ma, less weight = more acceleration, less acceleration = more weight

I don't think he knows what negatives are

Re: Re: mangina

??????

ohh... so u aint here too help answer his question? here i was thinking u were trying to be helpful. my bad.

ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ironwrestler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: mangina

??????

Allow me.

Magina, it is a lot harder to fully control the weight and lift it slowly, meaning that whatever weight you are currently lifting you could be going heavier if you don't mind doing faster reps. Bottom line is: Slow reps (fully controlling the weight) is much harder than Fast reps (pushing the weight in fast, exposive manner). Therefore, the guys you see at your gym lifting the weight fast most likely can't lift that same amount of weight slowly and controlled.

Originally posted by ironwrestler
    I don't understand him either. It appears he thinks lifting the weight fast is harder than lifting it slowly.
    i think he said he is lifting too heavy...he shud probably try advice and see how many reps he can actually get out..b4 thinking its too hard

Re: Re: Re: mangina

Allow me.

Magina, it is a lot harder to fully control the weight and lift it slowly, meaning that whatever weight you are currently lifting you could be going heavier if you don't mind doing faster reps. Bottom line is: Slow reps (fully controlling the weight) is much harder than Fast reps (pushing the weight in fast, exposive manner). Therefore, the guys you see at your gym lifting the weight fast most likely can't lift that same amount of weight slowly and controlled.
    well said !!

Not an alcoholic...maybe SS2Trunks69's Avatar
    SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SS2Trunks69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not meaning to offend anyone, but how do you not understand it?

He's saying that his reps are going really slow, because the weight is heavy, and if he lowers the weight, he'll be able to do them faster and more "explosively."

That's normal, dude.

Obviously it'll be easier to move a lighter weight faster than it will be to move a heavier weight.

Those other guys probably aren't as strong as you.
    5'6

Connoisseur of honey roasted peanuts...nom nom nom....

nooo u guys dont understand. i mean, i CANT lift the weight fast BECAUSE it is so heavy. i have to keep pushing and pushing (mind over matter) and then i force myself to push it up.

in order for me to push the weight up faster, i have to lower the weight so i dont have to struggle with it as much. does that make sense now?!?! i dont see how it can be clearer?

if i do a 6 rep max, then the only way i can push it up is to not give up and push through the sticking points (which takes me a couple seconds). i am not going slowly on purpose.

edit: ahahahah someone understands!! (trunks69)

Originally posted by SS2Trunks69
    Not meaning to offend anyone, but how do you not understand it?

He's saying that his reps are going really slow, because the weight is heavy, and if he lowers the weight, he'll be able to do them faster and more "explosively."

That's normal, dude.

Obviously it'll be easier to move a lighter weight faster than it will be to move a heavier weight.

Those other guys probably aren't as strong as you.
    Ok, now let me break it down for you.

Which is harder, doing a negative with a heavier weight or a lighter weight? Your negative is usually faster and harder to control with a heavy weight, correct? If not you've defied the laws of gravity.

Ok, now let me break it down for you.

Which is harder, doing a negative with a heavier weight or a lighter weight? Your negative is usually faster and harder to control with a heavy weight, correct? If not you've defied the laws of gravity.
    i am not talking about negatives at all. my negatives are fine. i'm talking about the speed of the positive and Trunks nailed it. i guess no one else has this problem?

nooo u guys dont understand. i mean, i CANT lift the weight fast BECAUSE it is so heavy. i have to keep pushing and pushing (mind over matter) and then i force myself to push it up.

in order for me to push the weight up faster, i have to lower the weight so i dont have to struggle with it as much. does that make sense now?!?! i dont see how it can be clearer?

if i do a 6 rep max, then the only way i can push it up is to not give up and push through the sticking points (which takes me a couple seconds). i am not going slowly on purpose.

edit: ahahahah someone understands!! (trunks69)
    Now we are making sense. So you are concerned with the push not the negative. Then you are correct.

f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10) f34r is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i am not talking about negatives at all. my negatives are fine. i'm talking about the speed of the positive and Trunks nailed it. i guess no one else has this problem?
    Trunks nailed it?! **** I said the exact same thing 5 posts before >:O

Well to answer you question then. It really doesn't matter how fast you are pushing the weight up as long as you are pushing it up your fastest. However, if the weight is too heavy to do your negatives slowly I would lower the weight.

OpelCorsa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the reason is that the weight is obviously too heavy for you to press. if u have no problems doing them (even 6 reps) then stick to'em, but if you kinda feel unbalanced while pressing u definietly should use lighter dbs.

also the slower u do your reps the better results you get.

Originally posted by OpelCorsa
    the reason is that the weight is obviously too heavy for you to press. if u have no problems doing them (even 6 reps) then stick to'em, but if you kinda feel unbalanced while pressing u definietly should use lighter dbs.

also the slower u do your reps the better results you get.
    not true. Lift slow lift low -> westside barbell I think

Originally posted by f34r
    not true. Lift slow lift low -> westside barbell I think
    i was talking about the 'results'. if u do slower u get better results on the area of body you're working on. the reason is that your muscles get involved for a longer period of time. if u do xplosive style muscles don't work as much and therefore => weaker.
    lift slow lift low is correct, but that wasn't what i meant.
    if your goal is to get bigger then u shouldn't do your reps too fast. if you want to just press heavy then go for it, no need to slow down.
    Last edited by OpelCorsa; 06-16-2004 at 11:25 PM.

i was talking about the 'results'. if u do slower u get better results on the area of body you're working on. the reason is that your muscles get involved for a longer period of time. if u do xplosive style muscles don't work as much and therefore => weaker.
    lift slow lift low is correct, but that wasn't what i meant.
    But you can do more reps/higher weight with explosiveness, so shouldn't it be the same?

u caught my post when i was editing anywayz like i said depends on your goal... wanna get big? then slow down and let muscles get involved. wanna press heavy? then don't slow down

I got that, but I'm asking why

I got that, but I'm asking why
    buddy i just wrote that in my other post.

*copies/pastes*
    the reason is that your muscles get involved for a longer period of time. if u do xplosive style muscles don't work as much

buddy i just wrote that in my other post.

*copies/pastes*
    the reason is that your muscles get involved for a longer period of time. if u do xplosive style muscles don't work as much
    yeah I read that, but why being exposed for a longer period create more growth but less strength?

yeah I read that, but why being exposed for a longer period create more growth but less strength?
    ok. when u slow down u allow the muscles to stay flexed/reflexed longer, hence more growth. u get tired but eventually your endurance and strength increase. i think that sounds obvious enough...

by da way, when i say slow i don't mean like slow as hell. i mean 'not-so-fast'. medium speed. u'll be able to focus on the particular part of body you're working on. u'll be able to feel what you're working on
    Last edited by OpelCorsa; 06-16-2004 at 11:54 PM.