Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Math help: what is a derivative of displacement?

I know how to figure out derivatives now, but I dont know what people say when they say 'second derivative of displacement'?

im trying to find velocity and acceleration...

also I dont know wtf "ds/dt" and stuff like that means?
    Last edited by whodat?; 05-24-2007 at 03:45 AM.

Stats: 6'0", 198 lbs
    BodyPoints: 12027
    iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) iBswole has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit iBswole's BodySpace
    what ure looking for is :

displacement is basicly distance it can be represented as a function of s -

s = kt

where k is a variabe in terms of time t - we'll consider k as position.

then the rate of change of displacement = ds/dt will give us the rate of change of distance over time

or v(t) = velocity

if we look for the rate of change of velocity with repsect to time we get

dv(t) / dt = accelleration

so to recap

d/dt of displacement (or the rate of change of disp(or distance in a specified direction)) = velocity
    d/dt of velocity (or the rate of change of velocity ) = acceleration
    Last edited by iBswole; 05-24-2007 at 03:59 AM.

BodyPoints: 6298
    SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SirBangalot has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit SirBangalot's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by whodat? View Post
    I know how to figure out derivatives now, but I dont know what people say when they say 'second derivative of displacement'?

im trying to find velocity and acceleration...

also I dont know wtf "ds/dt" and stuff like that means?

If you have a function let say y=x which is a func for displacement

First Derivate will be y'=1 (is a function for VELCOITY)
    Second Derivative will be y''=0 (is a function for ACCELERATION)
    Third Derivative will be y'''= 0(for argument sake)(is a function for JERK)
    █♣█ █♣█ █♣█ █♣█ █♣█

www.trainhardtrainsmart.com

Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Stats: 6'2", 204 lbs
    BodyPoints: 7828
    andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) andrewmul has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit andrewmul's BodySpace
    ahh i remember doing this cant remember what answer is though

ds/dt maybe
    Strength, size, power and speed arent achievable without dedication, focus and determination.

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. - Muhammad Ali

Current Lifts 5/05/08

all for 5 reps

Squat 210lbs (narrow stance atg)
    Deadlift 285lbs
    Bench 170lbs
    Row 150 lbs
    Military Press (standing) 116lbs

whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) whodat? is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by iBswole View Post
    displacement is basicly distance it can be represented as a function of s -

s = kt

where k is a variabe in terms of time t - we'll consider k as position.

then the rate of change of displacement = ds/dt will give us the rate of change of distance over time

or v(t) = velocity

if we look for the rate of change of velocity with repsect to time we get

dv(t) / dt = accelleration

so to recap

d/dt of displacement (or the rate of change of disp(or distance in a specified direction)) = velocity
    d/dt of velocity (or the rate of change of velocity ) = acceleration
    this makes no sense to me at all... i am math retarded or something

i know how to find the derivative, but how do i find the 'second deriv of displacement'???

example:

s = -5t^2 + 120t + 500

i know the deriv is -10x+120

but i dont know what the second derivative of displacement is
    Last edited by whodat?; 05-24-2007 at 04:08 AM.

Stats: 5'5", 150 lbs
    BodyPoints: 37125
    MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit MesoPeaks's BodySpace
    Is that physics?

Originally Posted by MesoPeaks View Post
    Is that physics?
    no, math class...practical application problem

Differential calculus?..if differential ..maybe i can you help you out..

Can you post some of your lecture..?
    its a summer school class, and all of the people in it except me are re-taking it becaue they failed (im taking it to get ahead)

so she teaches it like we already know how to do it. plus she is indian so its hard to understand here

i know how to do pretty much everything except figure out acceleration, and acceleration is the second derivative of displacement and i dont know how to figure that out...

the problem is:

An object moves according to the distance (s), time (t) equation:

s = -5t^2 + 120t + 500

Find:

1) the average velocity between t=0 and t=3 seconds
    answer: [delta]S / [delta]t which equals 105, got that problem right

2) the velocity equation (the derivative)
    answer: -10x + 120

3) the velocity at t=2 seconds
    answer: -10(2) + 120 = 100

4) the accelration equation
    DONT KNOW

5) acceleration at t=3 seconds
    DONT KNOW

6) time to reach max height
    answer: havent figured out yet but I know how to

7) max height above ground
    answer: havent figured out yet but i know how to

I found a website that explained it.. correct me if I'm wrong...

but all I do is take the origional derivative and break it down again?

**** if its that ez then i was going ape over nothing

MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MesoPeaks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    what website..?

what website..?
    http://www.nipissingu.ca/calculus/tu...er_higher.html

y'- means first derivative
    y"-means second derivative
    y'"-third
    y""-72x their right, so 72<---------fourth derivative
    Last edited by MesoPeaks; 05-24-2007 at 05:04 AM.

Stats: 6'1", 190 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2137
    bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigbondo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit bigbondo's BodySpace
    yes, for the second derivative, just take the derivative of the derivative

so -10t+120 -> -10t

Originally Posted by bigbondo View Post
    yes, for the second derivative, just take the derivative of the derivative

so -10t+120 -> -10t
    hehehe.... moron explanation is what makes the most sense to me

I'm trying to follow the teacher and take notes and I'm just like 'W T F'

Then I see that example and its like... just double down? I was gettin all worked up when I just do it twice?

I learned more on friggin Yahoo! education in 10 minutes than I did in over 15 hours in that class..
    Last edited by whodat?; 05-24-2007 at 05:09 AM.

BodyPoints: 97
    Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Infinite01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Infinite01's BodySpace

Thumbs up math help...

go to www.mathhelpforum.com ... it really helped me through calc... people explain the answers and make everything very simple!!! You can thank me later

Originally Posted by xcelxp View Post
    go to www.mathhelpforum.com ... it really helped me through calc... people explain the answers and make everything very simple!!! You can thank me later
    thanks for the link, i'll keep that bookmarked