Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

.aeterna's Hybrid [MAX-OT, Periodization, Powerlifting] Lifting Journal

About time i started one of these...i realized i spend more than enough time online every day, so i might as well keep track of my progress :]

Alright, so i'm beginning a new split to bust this strength/size plateaus thats been over my head for 2 months now.

Old split:

Shoulders/Forearms/ [Dynamic Effort Deadlift. 70% of 1RM]
    Chest/Tris
    Back/Bi's/Legs [Max Effort Deadlift. 90-95%]

NEW SPLIT:

Bi's/Tri's
    Shoulders
    Chest/Back/Legs

All seperated with one day of rest. Yes, Day 3 of my new split is going to be ****ing hell, but ive got ton of **** to motivate me and push my intensity through the roof.
    Last edited by .aeterna; 06-15-2004 at 09:49 AM.

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Day 1: Bi's/Tri's

Going to hit up a couple supersets up for a few weeks to break my size plateau.

Seated Overhead DB extension [40lbs,45lbs]
    superset with
    Standing Barbell curls [60lbs, 70lbs]

Cable tricep pushdown with v-bar [120lbs, 130lbs]
    superset with
    Cambered bar preacher curls [80lbs,90lbs]

Single arm reverse grip cable press downs [30lbs, 40lbs]
    superset with
    Seated Alternating DB curls [30lbs, 30lbs]

Finish off with 1 Single superset of

Machine Tricep Pushdowns on preacher bench [Forgot :/ Dam machines]
    superset with
    21's with 40lb barbell.

Everything except last superset done in two sets (1 warmup) with 8-14 rep range. Going for high volume training methods for now.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    welcome to ther journals... but the split looks a killer...i would not advise it..

meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000) meathead198 is just really nice. (+1000)
    That is without a doubt the worst split I have ever seen. Why are you doing that instead of a standard split?
    Bulking.

Check out my Cre Ethyl Thunder Log:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=387162

there are no shortcuts sword chucks's Avatar
    sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't understand what you are doing. If you have a plateau in mass gain you probably shouldn't start doing a worse split- you can;t "shock" your body into massive growth. IMO you should look for a better split than your first, not a worse one.

Btw that is not what you do for ME and DE days- you've got it all wrong there.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh, I'm just trying to help out. I will help you with a new split if you like, just PM me or something if I don;t answer in this topic with a day or two (I usually forget).

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it.

Could you guys clarify what exactly is wrong, is it the choice of exercises or the day's splitting.

I dont see whats wrong with my DE and ME splitting either. It's as simple as, DL at 65-70% one day for 3 sets (after 2 warmup) then 4 days later i'll do 90-95% for singles.

I know it looks a little overboard, overall, but ive been lifting religiously and checking articles/msgboards since sept 03 and one thing i do know is that i can definately take high volume.

My cal intake is well over what is required for the body to not reach a calorie deficient state leading to muscle loss.

I guess i'm just a little different...but it works for me.

edit: oh and i appreciate the concern. :] these workout journals seem to be host to some very informed and encouraging people.

Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'll chime in here if you don't mind. The main problem I have with your new split is that you're hitting the three biggest muscle groups on one day, and then giving arms and shoulders their own days. This is a bit strange, to say the least! If you can only workout for 3 days then the best way to do it imo is a push/pull/legs split. So do chest, shoulders and tris on one day, back and bis on another, and legs on the other day.

As for the DE and ME days, the best way to incorporate these is to train each bodypart twice a week and have one day for DE and one for ME. There's a loads of guys on the journals board, myself included, who are doing such routines. Check out our journals if you want any ideas. I think Scott Donald was doing that kind of split a while ago, Younglifter, Brego, Uninspired and Sword Chucks (I think) are all doing similar stuff.

If you just wish to perform DE and ME deadlifts, then the best way to incorporate it in a 3 day split would be to alternate between them in successive weeks.

Hope that helps.
    Injured O-lifter!

Originally posted by Davesta
    I'll chime in here if you don't mind. The main problem I have with your new split is that you're hitting the three biggest muscle groups on one day, and then giving arms and shoulders their own days. This is a bit strange, to say the least! If you can only workout for 3 days then the best way to do it imo is a push/pull/legs split. So do chest, shoulders and tris on one day, back and bis on another, and legs on the other day.

As for the DE and ME days, the best way to incorporate these is to train each bodypart twice a week and have one day for DE and one for ME. There's a loads of guys on the journals board, myself included, who are doing such routines. Check out our journals if you want any ideas. I think Scott Donald was doing that kind of split a while ago, Younglifter, Brego, Uninspired and Sword Chucks (I think) are all doing similar stuff.

If you just wish to perform DE and ME deadlifts, then the best way to incorporate it in a 3 day split would be to alternate between them in successive weeks.

Hope that helps.
    Good idea, doing DL's twice a week seems a little excessive.

But as for changing my split into a push/pull/legs routine, i'm going to hold off on that until i see negative gains from my new routine. I'd rather take the risk of radically changing my **** up instead of sticking in my huge plateau.

Day 2: Shoulders.

Power cleans: [125, 135, 145]. 10, 8, 5 reps.

Side laterals: [3 sets of 20lbs]

Behind the Neck MP's: [2x 70, 1x 80lbs. ]10, 8 reps.

Wide Upright rows: [3x 70lbs.] 9-10 reps to failure

BB Shrugs: [135, 185, 225lbs] 12, 8,4 reps to failure

I'm thinking of taking out the shrugs...i've got plenty of mass on my traps due to genetics and if they keep on growing...it seems as if it'll make my shoulders look leaner because of the greater slope.
    Last edited by .aeterna; 06-15-2004 at 09:50 AM.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz

whatch the rc's with these....

shrugs not only help grow your traps but hey also help other lifts...

Originally posted by scott_donald

whatch the rc's with these....

shrugs not only help grow your traps but hey also help other lifts...
    Yeah, i'm incredibly picky with my form on the MP's. I only go until my arms are parallel the ground. Id go to the front, but going behind has gotten me better gains in the past.

I'll keep the shrugs in, for now i guess. I just dont want to develop huge sloped shoulders as my traps generally grow much faster than my delts

Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Davesta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good strong workout there!

Good to see you headed my advice about the deads I would still suggest moving one of the bodyparts trained on the third day to accompany shoulders though. Training 3 of the biggest bodyparts in one workout wouldn't be good for the cns, and I wouldn't have thought you'd have enough time to train each adequately either. I would suggest moving chest with shoulders ideally. It's up to you though
    Injured O-lifter!

there are no shortcuts sword chucks's Avatar
    sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sword chucks has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by .aeterna
    Could you guys clarify what exactly is wrong, is it the choice of exercises or the day's splitting.

I dont see whats wrong with my DE and ME splitting either. It's as simple as, DL at 65-70% one day for 3 sets (after 2 warmup) then 4 days later i'll do 90-95% for singles.

I know it looks a little overboard, overall, but ive been lifting religiously and checking articles/msgboards since sept 03 and one thing i do know is that i can definately take high volume.

My cal intake is well over what is required for the body to not reach a calorie deficient state leading to muscle loss.

I guess i'm just a little different...but it works for me.

edit: oh and i appreciate the concern. :] these workout journals seem to be host to some very informed and encouraging people.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear.

First of all, I don't like how you only split your body into 3 days, then give 2 very small muscles- arms and shoulders- their own day. That leaves your back, chest, and legs (which means really 5-6 muscles) to be trained one one day! The thing is, the "priority principle" where you train what muscles you want to bring up first or separately really is not that effective. Bringing the muscles to the most they can do is overload- even if it is limited a little bit by training other lifts first.

Second, ME and DE is not set up like that. You would do an exercise for speed with 40-60 % of your 1rm on DE days, of (usually) 9-10 triples- and it is recommended that you change foot placing every 3 sets or so. The idea is to build speed strength while not causing fatigue. On ME days you would cause strain by working with a high % of your max going triples and adding weight until it gets too hard, then keep adding weight and doing singles. The thing is, you would not do Deads each ME day or else you would burn out faast. Instead you just switch exercises, like doing rack pulls one week, GMs the next, Deadlifts a third.. etc.

I think you could replace some exercises for better ones, for example, replace a tricep movement with cg or rg bench presses. Compound movements are better than isolation movements in most cases.

Now that I see your workouts it looks like you have no reason to do give arms/shoulders completely separate days and then do enough sets for chest/back/legs (which would be 30-35 minimum IMO) another day.

You could make a 4-day split which would be a much better choice, and separate legs from chest/back... that is feasible. You just should want to have enough energy to train all of your muscles evenly.

Again, whatever you do is up to you, I'm just trying to help.

Good power cleans btw... it looks like you might need to update your sig, 145 for reps is better than 155 I think.

Originally posted by sword chucks
    Sorry, I should have been more clear.

First of all, I don't like how you only split your body into 3 days, then give 2 very small muscles- arms and shoulders- their own day. That leaves your back, chest, and legs (which means really 5-6 muscles) to be trained one one day! The thing is, the "priority principle" where you train what muscles you want to bring up first or separately really is not that effective. Bringing the muscles to the most they can do is overload- even if it is limited a little bit by training other lifts first.

Second, ME and DE is not set up like that. You would do an exercise for speed with 40-60 % of your 1rm on DE days, of (usually) 9-10 triples- and it is recommended that you change foot placing every 3 sets or so. The idea is to build speed strength while not causing fatigue. On ME days you would cause strain by working with a high % of your max going triples and adding weight until it gets too hard, then keep adding weight and doing singles. The thing is, you would not do Deads each ME day or else you would burn out faast. Instead you just switch exercises, like doing rack pulls one week, GMs the next, Deadlifts a third.. etc.

I think you could replace some exercises for better ones, for example, replace a tricep movement with cg or rg bench presses. Compound movements are better than isolation movements in most cases.

Now that I see your workouts it looks like you have no reason to do give arms/shoulders completely separate days and then do enough sets for chest/back/legs (which would be 30-35 minimum IMO) another day.

You could make a 4-day split which would be a much better choice, and separate legs from chest/back... that is feasible. You just should want to have enough energy to train all of your muscles evenly.

Again, whatever you do is up to you, I'm just trying to help.

Good power cleans btw... it looks like you might need to update your sig, 145 for reps is better than 155 I think.
    Hm, i'm not too big on 4day splits, but yea you and Davesta are right..i'm going to try and move legs over to shoulder day (and do DL's that day too).

just an update for my log though: wrist is giving weird sharp pains every few minutes. Must've snatched that last power clean at an awkward position... :|

Won't have time to post later on, but i know my lifts and my numbers, so i'll put them up. All the rep schemes i show are estimates, but generally what i would do.

-just a note, i believe in high reps for legs...

Day 3=Chest/Back/Legs [switching chest over to day2 after this session..]

*All compound lifts with 1-2 sets warmup*

Back Squats [135, 155, 205] 20, 12, 5

BB Bench [125, 135, 145] 12, 8, 4

Standing Calf Raises /w Smith [3x 225] 3x 15

DE Deadlifts [175, 185, 185] 12, 7, 7

Incline DB Bench [45, 50, 55] 8, 6, 4
    superset with
    Bent over BB rows [70, 80, 80] 10, 8, 6-7

Skipping Stiff Leg DL, as im guessing i'm relatively dead by now...

Atrainers Cable Flies [not sure what weight or rep scheme yet...]

Weighted Pullups [BW, BW+20, BW+20] 10, 6, 5

Leaning forward Dips [BW, BW, BW] 7, 6, 5

Finish off with my own personal cable rows [forgot weight] 12, 10, 8

Looks like quite a bit...but i'm taking a 1 week vacation starting Sunday till Saturday in Florida, so i think im in the clear for going a little overboard today.

Measurements, 6/17/04...

all cold, flexed

BW=154.5
    Upper Arms=14, 14
    Lower Arm=12, 11 7/8
    Wrist=6 1/2
    Upper Legs=23, 22 7/8
    Calves= 14 1/2, 14 1/2
    Waist= 32

Ok, so i'm back from my one week vacation in Florida, and yay i got uneven tans >:|.

Anyways..felt really strange the first two days in florida. Got muscle spasms like none other. They weren't painful either, just really annoying. First thought that came into my mind was overtraining...but i dont think its that.

Still, i dont want to take any more risks with that routine i had the week before..so i guess i'll go back to my good old routine.

Here's the split.. a few changes, but nothing drastic.

Mon- Chest/Tris
    Weds- Back/Legs
    Thurs- Bi's/Shoulders

rest are off days..

Day 1= Chest/Tri's

Terrible workout...energy level was ridiculously low. Didnt get any sleep last night cause i was out partying...

BB Bench [95 warmup, 135, 135, 115] 12, 6, 4, 8
    *Bumped weight down since partner wasnt here to help

Lying Tricep Extensions /w BB [45, 45, 50] 8, 6, 5

Parallel Bar dips [BW, BW, BW] 8, 7, 5

Vbar pulldowns [110, 120, 120] 8, 5, 4

Incline DB Bench [35 warmup, 45, 45] 10, 5, 4
    *I was dying from exhaustion by now... :[

Overhead DB extension [40, 40, 45] 8, 6, 4

Atrainers Cable flies [25, 25, 25] 10, 8, 6

now, time to SLEEP.

Day 2= Back/Legs

Decent workout overall. My lifts went pretty smoothly, but all throughout the session, i was getting dizzy from the heat... :[

Back Squat to parallel [bar warmup, 135, 155, 185] 14, 10, 6, 4

Pullups [BW, BW, BW] 8, 7, 6

Machine Leg extension [140, 160, 160] 10, 8, 6

Machine Rows [90 warmup, 160, 160] 14, 6, 6

Lat Pulldown [120, 130, 130] 8, 6, 5

Finish off with ME Deadlifts [135 warmup, 225, 245] 12, 6, 3

Day 3= Shoulders/Bi's

Decent workout. Had moderate energy since i woke up a little bit earlier (strange isnt it...).

Here's the lifts

Power Clean
    125x6 (wrist started to feel weird.. so i stopped)

BB curl
    50x12
    60x8
    60x6

side laterals
    20x12
    20x10
    20x10

hammer curls
    25x12
    25x10
    25x8

chins
    BWx6
    BWx5
    BWx4

db shoulder press
    40x8
    40x6
    45x4

machine preach curls
    50x8
    50x6
    60x4

power bb shrugs
    225x8
    225x6
    225x5

good day, but way too dam hot.

Day 1= Chest/Tri's

Aside from my BB bench today, i felt relatively energetic . My incline has gone up, thats for sure.

BB Bench
    barx16
    135x6
    135x4
    145x2

BB skullcrushers
    30x14
    40x8
    50x6

Incline DB press
    45x12
    50x8
    50x6

vbar pushdown
    110x8
    120x6
    120x5

cable flies (overhead)
    25x12
    30x10
    30x10

parallel bar dips
    bwx8
    bwx6
    bwx4

french curls /w DB
    45x5
    40x10

not a shabby day at all :]

also im officially starting to use ON's whey.

4 scoops in 4 seperate shakes (morn,pre workout, PWO, bedtime)
    on training days

and 2 scoops in 2 seperate shakes (morn, late afternoon) on offdays. dont worry, i bump up the foods with extra protein.

Day2= Back/Legs

Was feeling great today! Even though i missed my preworkout shake/meal :/ OH well. Ill take it later.

Back Squats to strictly parallel
    barx20
    135x10
    155x8
    155x8

machine rows
    90x12
    160x6
    160x5

smith machine calf raises
    bar+225x14
    bar+245x10
    bar+245x10

pullups (these are slowly decreasing.... :[)
    bwx6
    bwx5
    bwx4

lat pulldowns with vbar (since my pullups seem to be becoming less and less effective in hitting my lats...)
    110x9
    120x7
    130x5

leg extensions
    110x14
    120x10
    130x8

DEADLIFTS!
    135x14
    225x6
    265x1 NEW PR!!!!!! AHHHH WOOT

ah the new DL max MADE my day :]

Day3= Shoulders/Bi's

Decent workout.

BB Curl
    50x14
    60x7
    60x5

DB shoulder press
    40x10
    45x7
    50x3

Hammer curls
    25x10
    25x10
    30x6

side laterals
    20x10
    25x8
    25x6

chinups
    bwx6
    bwx5

db shrugs (something began to hurt in my lower back..)
    100x5

dropset preacher curls
    60x8
    50x7
    40x6

Day1= Chest/Tris

good good workout :] felt the BURN.

DB Bench
    35's (warmup) x 12
    60x6
    60x5
    65x3

Cable Vbar pushdown
    110x10
    120x8
    120x5

Incline DB Bench
    45'sx10
    50x6
    50x4

Overhead DB extension
    40x8
    40x6
    40x6

Standing cable flies using overhead attachments
    25x12
    30x10
    35x8

parallel bar dips
    BWx8
    BWx6
    BWx3

Day 2= Back/Legs.

Ah, great workout. Bumped up the weights a little bit, and my body responded beautifully.

Parallel Back Squats
    Barx12
    135x8
    155x6
    185x4

Pullups
    BWx5
    BWx4
    BWx3

*these are decreasing slowly...:[

Machine Rows
    90x14
    160x6
    180x5

Leg extensions
    120x8
    140x6
    160x4

Lat Pulldowns
    110x8
    120x6
    120x4

DEADLIFTS!
    135x12
    225x7
    275x3 <-i was like, OMG!

Workouts are looking good, well done on the deads!
    Injured O-lifter!

Day 3= Shoulders/Bi's

Decent workout. Energy level was pretty moderate. Motivation levels were pretty high though. Just one of those days when i felt like pumping real iron! THe final reps on some sets had a little poorer form because i was just so pumped up that i NEEDED to get it up.

DB shoulder press
    35x14
    40x8
    45x6

BB curl
    50x12
    60x8
    60x6

side laterals
    20x10
    20x8
    20x8

hammers
    25x8
    30x7
    30x7

lying down rear delt cable flies
    25x12
    25x10
    25x8

BB preacher curls
    40x10
    50x5

DAY1 =CHEST/TRI'S

Decent workout. Had medium-high energy and the weights responded well to me :]

BB Bench
    barx14 warmup
    115x10
    135x6
    135x5

Cable pulldowns /w Vbar
    110x12
    120x8
    130x5

Incline DB bench
    45x12
    45x10
    55x5

BB skullcrushers
    40x12
    40x12
    50x10

Overhead standing cable flies
    40x10
    40x8
    40x8

parallel bar dips, leaning forward
    bwx8
    bwx6
    bwx4 - 45sec rest- 2 more reps

RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice workouts man. Looking strong. Keep up the good work.
    Link to my journal.....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=359604

Stats=currently injured ankle

best lifts at 180

bench 225/10 275/2
    Deadlift 405/5 455/1
    Full oly style Squat 325 w/belt