Shebs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bread causes insulin spike?

Hi to all of you. This is my first post in this wonderful forum. I just wanted to know if bread and croissants cause insulin spike as normal sugar does? Also does fructose cause an insulin spike?
    If I am dieting should I avoid all of these all together?
    Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

lanif has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lanif has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lanif has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lanif has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lanif has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lanif has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wholemeal bread won't cause insulin spikes, but white bread will.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    White bread is almost the same as table sugar as far as insulin spikes. Fructose is low gi- but after filling the liver with glycogen any left over goes to fat, whereas other sugars can fill the muscles with glycogen as well as the liver.

Originally posted by johnnyironboard
    White bread is almost the same as table sugar as far as insulin spikes. Fructose is low gi- but after filling the liver with glycogen any left over goes to fat, whereas other sugars can fill the muscles with glycogen as well as the liver.
    So does this mean that other sugars are better than fructose? I did not relly get it. Also are croissants made of white bread (might be a silly quesion)?

jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Shebs
    So does this mean that other sugars are better than fructose? I did not relly get it. Also are croissants made of white bread (might be a silly quesion)?
    time for you to do some research.. read the stickies.

johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Avoid white bread and don't eat too much fructose( 1 apple a day for example). Only eat croissants once a week- they are an indulgence not a meal.

jcebedo1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    adding protein and fats to carbohydrates lowers insulin spike dramatically.

taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000) taffer is just really nice. (+1000)
    not only does white bread have a higher-GI, the grain has been stripped of all it sgood nutrients, making it empty calories, doing nothing really good for your body
    you can find this in alot of generic "brown" breads, which have also been processed, while not as much, and it is alot better, its best to follow the rule "if it looks like its had wood chips baked into it, its good to go" (JB quote)
    look for grainy breads, the grains have alot of good nutrients in them, and the less processed the better!

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by lanif
    Wholemeal bread won't cause insulin spikes, but white bread will.
    I think you mean it causes less of an insulin spike. I also believe that the white bread would cause a shorter insulin spike.

Originally posted by johnnyironboard
    Avoid white bread and don't eat too much fructose( 1 apple a day for example). Only eat croissants once a week- they are an indulgence not a meal.
    Only 1 apple a day? I think more fruit is not going to do me any harm.

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i agree. unless your getting ready for a competition

Exactly, and I am not preparing for a contest, I just want to lose some fat.
    I am a 6' male, with 193 lbs of weight, and 13.5% bf.
    Last edited by Shebs; 06-14-2004 at 12:06 AM.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Ancient wisdom. I'm just the messenger.

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by jcebedo1
    adding protein and fats to carbohydrates lowers insulin spike dramatically.
    Nope. Please stop giving out bad advice.
    Hit the Wall, Tear it Down!! - Wildman

triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) triplewhammy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by bkman4
    Nope. Please stop giving out bad advice.
    Nope. Please stop contradicting other people's CORRECT advice....

Adding fats definitely lowers GI of the OVERALL meal.

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by triplewhammy
    Nope. Please stop contradicting other people's CORRECT advice....

Adding fats definitely lowers GI of the OVERALL meal.
    I'm adrift in a boat of retards. Search. A meal with a certain amount of carbs will give a certain insulin response. Add fat and it will increase the insulin response. This might cause a small decrease in the GI, but it will be well outweighed by the increase in insulin. Geeze.
    Hit the Wall, Tear it Down!! - Wildman

Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Brosef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by bkman4
    I'm adrift in a boat of retards. Search. A meal with a certain amount of carbs will give a certain insulin response. Add fat and it will increase the insulin response. This might cause a small decrease in the GI, but it will be well outweighed by the increase in insulin. Geeze.
    You are forgetting Glycemic load. Just because a food is high GI, it does not point to undesirable effects on blood sugar. Same goes for lower GI, because just because it's low GI it does not mean it's nutritious. Fat and protein do slow the absorbtion of sugar, lowering the GI, and the decrease will not be so small. So the height of insulin depends on the rate of absorbtion and the way the food is eaten. But in all cases, increasing the amount of fiber eaten with the carb will lower the insulin.

Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Romac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bread is evil

eat it rarely
    Fatloss thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=311486
    Fatloss post with attached diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=657290963&postcount=117

biggyninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggyninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Surely though, just because a food has a high GI index doesnt mean its bad? i eat white bread after cardio to give me the replacement glycogen ive just lost quickly....

is this right?

depends what you mean by right.

TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000) TrailerTrash is just really nice. (+1000)
    If your'e gonna eat bread, just make sure its 100% wholewheat.

Grey Wtr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dieting = no bread in the house.

Bread only on refeed day, even that maybe, just after w/o.

One item no one mentioned is the crappy flour/yeast etc, in most breads can cause Estrogen problems.

Unprocessed flour, courser, more fiberous, more denser the bread the better. That is, the opposite of what you will find at the restaurant, your uncles house, Mom's, or the store.

When dieting, it's really best to get away from bread. Hey I love, and I mean love English muffin's with scrambled eggs at the diner, but, not when dieting.

Learn to live w/o bread.